• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faereag
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2009
    • Aberfoyle Park, SA

An update

I have been informed that a price for re-certification of a vehicle with some sort of spring/shock upgrade is not yet available because of issues such as age of the springs (sag) and loads. The engineer is negotiating on this and will advise in due course. My apologies for the cloak and dagger, but I am still bound by a confidentiality clause.

But I have been informed that the kit to upgrade a standard vehicle will be about $3600 (more than competitive with other such upgrades I believe).

If you are at all interested, then contact:

Equipe, exhaust, Xforce, suspension, Lovells, Lovell's, Akebono, brakes, Eibach, GVM, shocks, springs, gaskets, driveshafts, Superpro, ESA, Polyair, MOOG, Wagner, DBA, Airbagman, Selby, extractors, liftkit, headers

They can then advise you about the equipment and they are authorised to refer you to the engineer in question. Once you talk to him, he may shed more info on costs for existing set-ups. He did mention that approaches are being made to Victorian authorities re the same re-certification upgrade.

I hope this helps any of you that may be interested.

PS That price may seem high, but consider the GST and stamp duty on a second-hand 200 series Cruiser between 75K and 80K for example. It makes an economic argument without considering all the other costs to upgrade to a more expensive machine. Consider also, the Centrelink implications (if you are of the right age).
    Regards

Rory

2010 NT DID Auto Platinum. ARB Bar; 12000lb winch; Light-force 240 spotlights; Bushskinz plates; dual battery with upgraded wiring; Diff breathers; ECU re-tune; 3" exhaust Toyo AT11's; Ultra-gauge and OBD11 dongle; Garmin 52LM; Icom UHF; Craig Davies transmission cooler with fan; raised EHD Lovells coils; Mann & Hummel Catch Can; Bilstein B6's; Firestone airbags; Tekonsha P3 controller; towball capacity 300KG; GVM 3110KG. Sunland Patriot SE van with a few other mods.

Comment

• Yugi
      • Nov 2013
      • Mount Martha

Thanks for sharing Rory. I sent an expression of interest about the upgrade.
      If anyone else does it (more the merrier - especially in Vic) you may want to copy & paste the email address into your email app. The email crashed for me when I went through their website contact form. Make sure you copy it if it's a long on.
      2013 NW GLXR: Bushskinz all round, Rasllar Rear Bar, Tradesman RR with Drifta Rapid Wing Awning, BB & winch, snorkel, HPD FMIC, & other bits and pieces.

Comment

• Faereag
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2009
        • Aberfoyle Park, SA

Yugi

This is their direct Email address: [email protected]
        And, the telephone number is: (08) 8277 3344.

I have found numerous sites where these online forms just do not work.

Good luck.
        Regards

Rory

2010 NT DID Auto Platinum. ARB Bar; 12000lb winch; Light-force 240 spotlights; Bushskinz plates; dual battery with upgraded wiring; Diff breathers; ECU re-tune; 3" exhaust Toyo AT11's; Ultra-gauge and OBD11 dongle; Garmin 52LM; Icom UHF; Craig Davies transmission cooler with fan; raised EHD Lovells coils; Mann & Hummel Catch Can; Bilstein B6's; Firestone airbags; Tekonsha P3 controller; towball capacity 300KG; GVM 3110KG. Sunland Patriot SE van with a few other mods.

Comment

• Yugi
          • Nov 2013
          • Mount Martha

Originally posted by Faereag View Post
          An update

I have been informed that a price for re-certification of a vehicle with some sort of spring/shock upgrade is not yet available because of issues such as age of the springs (sag) and loads. The engineer is negotiating on this and will advise in due course. My apologies for the cloak and dagger, but I am still bound by a confidentiality clause.

But I have been informed that the kit to upgrade a standard vehicle will be about $3600 (more than competitive with other such upgrades I believe).

If you are at all interested, then contact:

Equipe, exhaust, Xforce, suspension, Lovells, Lovell's, Akebono, brakes, Eibach, GVM, shocks, springs, gaskets, driveshafts, Superpro, ESA, Polyair, MOOG, Wagner, DBA, Airbagman, Selby, extractors, liftkit, headers

They can then advise you about the equipment and they are authorised to refer you to the engineer in question. Once you talk to him, he may shed more info on costs for existing set-ups. He did mention that approaches are being made to Victorian authorities re the same re-certification upgrade.

I hope this helps any of you that may be interested.

PS That price may seem high, but consider the GST and stamp duty on a second-hand 200 series Cruiser between 75K and 80K for example. It makes an economic argument without considering all the other costs to upgrade to a more expensive machine. Consider also, the Centrelink implications (if you are of the right age).
          Contacted the equipgroup about the upgrade and some expected bad news about the chance of the Vic option being possible unless a lot of people get on board and share costs. So by my judgement from the conversation with equipgroup there's little change out of 5k after the auto engineers have tested and the authorities have authorised. Guess what again no surprise that equipgroup didn't do a nation certified GVM upgrade only for SA Paj owners because of the interest shown. I know Jimbo2 has the same frustration and I'd say he walked away from being involved after trying to talk auto-engineers in Vic being interested in the project. I have the SA auto-engineer's phone number and will give him a call in relation to Vic contacts or thoughts he might have. It beggars belief we don't have a national system for this stuff in Aust or should SA certified rigs not be able to carry 3110kg GVM in any other state Rant over.
          2013 NW GLXR: Bushskinz all round, Rasllar Rear Bar, Tradesman RR with Drifta Rapid Wing Awning, BB & winch, snorkel, HPD FMIC, & other bits and pieces.

Comment

• DSC
            • Nov 2011
            • VIC

Originally posted by Yugi View Post
            Contacted the equipgroup about the upgrade and some expected bad news about the chance of the Vic option being possible unless a lot of people get on board and share costs. So by my judgement from the conversation with equipgroup there's little change out of 5k after the auto engineers have tested and the authorities have authorised. Guess what again no surprise that equipgroup didn't do a nation certified GVM upgrade only for SA Paj owners because of the interest shown. I know Jimbo2 has the same frustration and I'd say he walked away from being involved after trying to talk auto-engineers in Vic being interested in the project. I have the SA auto-engineer's phone number and will give him a call in relation to Vic contacts or thoughts he might have. It beggars belief we don't have a national system for this stuff in Aust or should SA certified rigs not be able to carry 3110kg GVM in any other state Rant over.
            As a Victorian Pajero owner wanting a small increase in the 180kg towball limit, I am very interested in the results of all these enquires with both SA and NSW folks that are doing the upgrades. Thanks in advance for any further info re this issue for us Victorians.

Comment

• Yugi
              • Nov 2013
              • Mount Martha

Hello DSC - I've got nothing really definite to tell you as the Equip-group is officially only saying to me about the upgrade in SA. Give them a call and get the story straight from the horses mouth (the engineer in charge of the project) - maybe with more people phoning them and enquiring they'll make the project a priority as it will make more of a business case to accelerate any plans they might have at the moment.

Comment

• Yugi
                • Nov 2013
                • Mount Martha

Thought I'd post an update on the GVM & TBW upgrade. I have posted the last reply from the engineer in charge below,

"The process to become a VASS signatory is taking longer than expected.
                I will keep you informed, as to when I gain VASS accreditation."

This was back in November last year and after a couple of emails 3-4 months apart I won't be holding my breath. I think there must be a few hold ups for sure with trying to get certification in Victoria.

Comment

• markc
                  • Oct 2007
                  • Brisbane Sth East

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                  I just cant understand why l anyone would want to tow a bloody house around that weighs near 3 tonne and pull it with a car that was not designed to do the job and then the car will be modified so everything is at extreme limits and in my opinion just a danger waiting to unload itself somewhere. Emergency braking would be a bloody nightmare.. Wouldnt it be more sensible to either get a reasonable size van or go for a larger vehicle more suited to towing heavy weights. I see dozens of overweight vans every tourist season here in Cairns and fair dinkum..some people shouldnt be allowed to breathe!
                  same model Pajero is rated at 3500kg in UK and Russia and I'm sure its not raised due to better quality of roads in Russia

Comment

• vladguan
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by markc View Post
                    same model Pajero is rated at 3500kg in UK and Russia and I'm sure its not raised due to better quality of roads in Russia
                    And the smaller and lighter and weaker engined Pajero Sport is rated to 3500kg
                    Please call me Vlad.
                    -----------------------
                    MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011
                      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by markc View Post

Once again the 3500kg maximum tow limit is the manufacturers limit and not the legal limit in the UK.

From the UK Gov website Drivers License;
                      If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:
                      • drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
                      • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

MAM is the limit on how much the vehicle can weigh when it’s loaded.

You have to pass the car and trailer driving test if you want to tow anything heavier.

So if you have a Pajero in the UK you can only tow a 470kg trailer if your Pajero is at GVM.
                      If you are below GVM then you can tow up to 750Kg as long as you are under 3500kg GCM and are not exceeding the vehicle manufacturers tow limit.

I also recall reading that in some European countries the legal tow limit is as low as 80% of the vehicle Kerb Weight so if your factory Kerb Weight is 2300kg you can only tow 1840kg!

Another thing to consider is European trailers and caravan have ball weights between 5% and 8% of ATM where as in Australia ball weights can be between 10% and 15% easily and this puts much more load on your rear suspension.

OJ.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• DT6061
                        • May 2015
                        • Tea Gardens

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
                        And the smaller and lighter and weaker engined Pajero Sport is rated to 3500kg
                        I believe the PS is rated to 3100 kg but I still see your point Vlad, maybe for marketing??
                        2015 NX GLS with stuff added

Comment

• vladguan
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by DT6061 View Post
                          I believe the PS is rated to 3100 kg but I still see your point Vlad, maybe for marketing??
                          https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au...ions/m1/QE4X45
                          Toyota is even worse. Prado is 2500kg, Fortuna is 3000kg but the Hilux and land cruiser are 3500kg
                          Please call me Vlad.
                          -----------------------
                          MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
                            Toyota is even worse. Prado is 2500kg, Fortuna is 3000kg but the Hilux and land cruiser are 3500kg

Its a complete wank fest when it comes to towing capacity. The "mines bigger than yours" sucks in heaps of people that really believe the garbage dished out by dealers and manufacturers. Hi-lux and 3500...absolute crap. Pajero AT 3000KG...more crap..
                            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• cshaks
                              • Aug 2017
                              • Altona

I'm in Victoria trying to sort this out at the moment. Equipe in Adelaide have sortred out everything for South Australia and are in full swing. Cost is around $3700 for the kit including fitting and engineering. They have given up on chasing certification in Victoria as it's all too hard dealing with Vicroads.

Unfortunately I have not yet found anyone here is Vic that does the same kind of thing as yet.
                              Chris

Comment

• Ian H
                                Valued Member
                                • May 2015
                                • Melbourne

Friends of mine have upgraded different models with Vic Roads (Landcruiser and a Ranger) and as far as I know it's a matter of presenting them with an engineers certification and they issue a new compliance plate.
                                2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X