• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BaronVonChickenPants
    • Aug 2016
    • Shoalhaven, NSW

CAN to Android Head unit - Why/Why Not?

Greetings All,
    I have a 2013 NW VRX with the factory MMCS that needs to go.

I have purchased the Yeahoo YH618: https://banggood.app.link/EJngFSFM81

With the help of the forum I have deduced the unit can be connect with an Aepro APP0113 adaptor, 2 wires to the steering wheel and a buck converter to feed 6.6V to the reversing camera and all should be rosy.

However the unit has a built in CANBUS interface, I understand it is not needed but what benefit would I get from connecting it?

Is there any reason to not connect it?

FYI: the YH618 is HUGE, it is not 2 DIN, don't let the title fool you like it did me.

Thanks,
    Jordan
    Last edited by BaronVonChickenPants; 04-12-19, 09:37 PM. Reason: speeling
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

The question is, what if anything can it do if you DO connect it?
    Would this enable OBDII connectivity and display of parameters?
    I assume so?
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Patagonia
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2009
      • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

The Pajero doesent use it, it wont enable anything. Connect it only if the head unit must have it to work properly but dont think its needed.

If your original system has a sub or external amp think (not sure) you need a special wiring loom to not loose their connections
      2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
      Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
      31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
      2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• BaronVonChickenPants
        • Aug 2016
        • Shoalhaven, NSW

The question is, what if anything can it do if you DO connect it?
        That was what I was wondering.

I have successfully installed the unit without connecting CAN and just used a Bluetooth ODBII adapter.

The gap below surround is my fault, the mount I made is too long, I will trim them up when I have the unit back out for some fine tuning.
        Attached Files

Comment

• paceman
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2018
          • Mackay

Originally posted by BaronVonChickenPants View Post
          Greetings All,
          I have a 2013 NW VRX with the factory MMCS that needs to go.

I have purchased the Yeahoo YH618: https://banggood.app.link/EJngFSFM81

With the help of the forum I have deduced the unit can be connect with an Aepro APP0113 adaptor, 2 wires to the steering wheel and a buck converter to feed 6.6V to the reversing camera and all should be rosy.

However the unit has a built in CANBUS interface, I understand it is not needed but what benefit would I get from connecting it?

FYI: the YH618 is HUGE, it is not 2 DIN, don't let the title fool you like it did me.

Thanks,
          Jordan
          have you got a link to the 6.6v converter that you used?
          Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• BaronVonChickenPants
            • Aug 2016
            • Shoalhaven, NSW

I was going to hack at it myself with a $4 buck converter but decided it would be quicker to just grab an adapter from the local installers, they recommended this one, said they have had issues with the Aepro version:

It's a 2 way adapter that can be used to put an aftermarket camera on a factory head unit or factory camera on an aftermarket head unit.

I cut the half for the factory head unit off to make it tidier.

I needed to connect the head unit's remote wire to the red wire to activate the display with reverse.

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

I was going to hack at it myself with a $4 buck converter but decided it would be quicker to just grab an adapter from the local installers, they recommended this one, said they have had issues with the Aepro version:

It's a 2 way adapter that can be used to put an aftermarket camera on a factory head unit or factory camera on an aftermarket head unit.

I cut the half for the factory head unit off to make it tidier.

I needed to connect the head unit's remote wire to the red wire to activate the display with reverse.
              So you've got this bit working? Can you post any pics of the bits you kept / bits you cut off, for the next member to follow what you've done?

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• BaronVonChickenPants
                • Aug 2016
                • Shoalhaven, NSW

The last step is to get the steering wheel controls working and I can a full write up.

Yeahoo also have an identical 7" version that would just drop in place of a standard 2 DIN unit:

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

The last step is to get the steering wheel controls working and I can a full write up.

Yeahoo also have an identical 7" version that would just drop in place of a standard 2 DIN unit:
                  https://banggood.app.link/aL93zoRsb2
                  Tempting - I'm not really happy with my current Joying unit, at that price it's almost disposable.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• NFT5
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Canberra

Greetings All,

If you had MMCS before you need the CANBUS connection to be able to adjust the rear speakers.
                    Chris

Comment

• BaronVonChickenPants
                      • Aug 2016
                      • Shoalhaven, NSW

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
                      If you had MMCS before you need the CANBUS connection to be able to adjust the rear speakers.
                      Not overly concerned about that, the back is reserved for peasants any way.

Comment

• BaronVonChickenPants
                        • Aug 2016
                        • Shoalhaven, NSW

Install write up https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...d.php?p=621774

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X