• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hill373737
    • Mar 2015
    • Bateau Bay

Tyres on 2020 GLX

I'm considering trading my 2015 NX on a 2020 GLX, the dealer doesn't have one in stock and wasn't sure what tyres it would come with - does any one know what they are fitting.

If they are the GrandTreks that came on my current NX, I'll probably factor in an immediate tyre change.

thanks
    2015 NX, couple of batteries connected with Traxide SC80, Boos Bash Plates, retro NW nudge bar, Pirelli Scorpions, airbags!!
  • DaKaptin
    • Mar 2012
    • Brisbane, Qld

I believe the granteks have had a minor upgrade. Nut sure of exact name but i wouldnt be surprised if its that new one
    2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

My (limited) experience with new cars is that thy come with a variety of tyre brands and you don't know what yours will be until it arrives.

Yesterday I rotated the tyres on my wife's Outlander. They are Dunlop Grantrek and have done 90000 km,and they will go to 100000 or more before they need replacing but I am sick of them - they are noisy. Hopefully the next tyres I buy will not be as bad.

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by hill373737 View Post
        I'm considering trading my 2015 NX on a 2020 GLX, the dealer doesn't have one in stock and wasn't sure what tyres it would come with - does any one know what they are fitting.

If they are the GrandTreks that came on my current NX, I'll probably factor in an immediate tyre change.

thanks
        A few years ago, before they discontinued the 17" wheels (except on the fleet only GL and GLX5), that the 2020 NX GLX has now re-introduced, the tyres were usually from 3 brands:

Dunlop Grandtrek AT (not really an AT, more a slightly tougher HT with hard rubber that doesn't grip the tar as well but lasts longer)

Bridgestone D840 HT (grips better but wears a bit faster - quietest of the 3)

Yokohama HT G??? (grips well but softest of the 3 & wears quickest)

It was a lottery as to which tyres were on each car, so no way of knowing until the car lands at the dealers. My comments only apply to those specific models of tyres - other models from those makers perform quite differently (usually better in proper AT, etc.)

I have had all 3 and fine for tar & gravel roads (although the Grandtrek AT20 is a bit skatey with the round shoulders). If you intend going into rougher areas, try to arrange the tyre swap before the OEM tyres are roaded, as this often gets a better trade in price.

Your big advantage is the 17" wheels give you much greater choice of tyres that will be better off road and cheaper. Downside is potentially the DPF & gearing, although no issues reported so far with the NX (& we will all probably end up with one eventually). My next purchase may be a MY19 or MY20 NX GLS but with the dealer swapping the 17" wheels onto it now they are available again (most dealers were happy to do this at no cost as the donor GLX was then "optioned up" to 18" when they sold it. Have you considered a MY19 GLX with wheel swap to 17", as it looks to be better equiped & much cheaper on Carsales?
        Last edited by spot01; 02-09-19, 11:20 AM.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• hill373737
          • Mar 2015
          • Bateau Bay

Thanks for the replies.

My current NX came with Grandtreks, my biggest issue with them was performance on wet roads once they had a few kms on them. The Pirellis were a big improvement.

I've seen the Yokohamas - I think they are a Geolander. My last experience with then was on the NJ I had in mid 90's so would be well out of date.

The dealer has a couple of older stock vehicles they are keen to do a deal on so I may end up with 18s again on a GLS.

Unlike another manufacturer, there doesn't appear to be any issues with DPF on the Paj so I don't mind the upgrade - it might lose a little in fuel economy to my current NX but to be honest, my right foot probably has more impact than the DPF.
          2015 NX, couple of batteries connected with Traxide SC80, Boos Bash Plates, retro NW nudge bar, Pirelli Scorpions, airbags!!

Comment

• quickbrwnfox
            • Jul 2020
            • NSW

I read on FB pages that the standard Dunlop Grandtreks are dangerous as they are not that grippy on roads and overall rating was low.

What 18" tyres do people use and recommend? I intend to use the standard rims on them in the meantime.
            πŸ…½πŸ†‡ πŸ…ΏπŸ…°πŸ…ΉπŸ…΄πŸ†πŸ…Ύ

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Do you want a quiet comfortable passenger tyre, mild AT medium duty, AT LT Heavy Duty, Hybrid AT/MT Extra Heavy Duty?

What loads do yo carry and tow?

What roads and tracks do you travel?

There is not a tyre made that will do everything really well so they will be a compromise.

You need to know what is important to you and what you will make concessions on.

There are more bad tyre choices than there are bad tyres!

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• quickbrwnfox
                • Jul 2020
                • NSW

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                Do you want a quiet comfortable passenger tyre, mild AT medium duty, AT LT Heavy Duty, Hybrid AT/MT Extra Heavy Duty?

What loads do yo carry and tow?

What roads and tracks do you travel?

There is not a tyre made that will do everything really well so they will be a compromise.

You need to know what is important to you and what you will make concessions on.

There are more bad tyre choices than there are bad tyres!

OJ.
                HI OJ,

I am currently just doing long drives so quiet comfy tyres that is better than this stocks would be great.

I don't tow, but have a full load of passengers + bags, so 7 people plus a roof pod full of stuff.

Thanks

Comment

• Buckos
                  • Mar 2016
                  • Adelaide

In reply to the OP, we bought a new NX, delivered in April 2020, during COVID nonsense... Unfortunately I do not remember the brand of the tyres fitted, but I pre-arranged a deal with a nearby TyrePower franchise to drive the car straight there from the dealer, thus about 4km. in this case. They were swapped for a set of 5 Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT tyres and I got a credit of $100 per tyre in the deal, which I thought pretty reasonable. Might be worth your while organising this sort of thing up front, as these tyre dealers can then sell yours on to somebody who only wants urban type tyres. Would not bother with the Mitsi dealer, unless you want a laugh.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by quickbrwnfox View Post

HI OJ,

I am currently just doing long drives so quiet comfy tyres that is better than this stocks would be great.

I don't tow, but have a full load of passengers + bags, so 7 people plus a roof pod full of stuff.

Thanks
                    If the drives are on bitumen or very good dirt (at low speed) then you might be best looking at a XL extra load passenger construction tyre, load index 114, these are stronger than the normal passenger construction tyres that are fitted from the factory. A mild AT or HT/AT tread pattern will give you the quietest and most comfortable ride.

Hankook RF11 and Cooper ATT are 2 tyres that you might want to look at.

If you are venturing off the bitumen frequently and carrying 7 people + gear, then at Light Truck construction tyre with a AT tread pattern would be more suitable but these will be noisier, ride harder and use slightly more fuel, but they will last longer, have more off bitumen traction and be more resistant to punctures.

OJ.

Additional suggestions.
                    In XL 114 Load index with an AT tread pattern- Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Nitto Terra Grappler G2, Hankook RF10.
                    In LT119 Load index, with a mild AT tread - Yokohama G015.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Mundy55
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2015
                      • Gold Coast

Originally posted by Buckos View Post
                      In reply to the OP, we bought a new NX, delivered in April 2020, during COVID nonsense... Unfortunately I do not remember the brand of the tyres fitted, but I pre-arranged a deal with a nearby TyrePower franchise to drive the car straight there from the dealer, thus about 4km. in this case. They were swapped for a set of 5 Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT tyres and I got a credit of $100 per tyre in the deal, which I thought pretty reasonable. Might be worth your while organising this sort of thing up front, as these tyre dealers can then sell yours on to somebody who only wants urban type tyres. Would not bother with the Mitsi dealer, unless you want a laugh.
                      I did the same, but with BFG KO2s (have since replaced with Cooper AT3 LT's after 105k km). It pays to shop around with different tyre outlets as the offers were quite varied.

Comment

• Buckos
                        • Mar 2016
                        • Adelaide

Correctamundo Mundy55. I talked to several and the offers ranged from disinterested at any price up to the $100 quoted. Did the same with my previous NT, just a matter of finding a dealer who is likely to have a good trade with owners who have little interest in off-roading and just want to drive Priscilla and Sebastian to school on their way to the cafe/gym.

Comment

• quickbrwnfox
                          • Jul 2020
                          • NSW

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

If the drives are on bitumen or very good dirt (at low speed) then you might be best looking at a XL extra load passenger construction tyre, load index 114, these are stronger than the normal passenger construction tyres that are fitted from the factory. A mild AT or HT/AT tread pattern will give you the quietest and most comfortable ride.

Hankook RF11 and Cooper ATT are 2 tyres that you might want to look at.

If you are venturing off the bitumen frequently and carrying 7 people + gear, then at Light Truck construction tyre with a AT tread pattern would be more suitable but these will be noisier, ride harder and use slightly more fuel, but they will last longer, have more off bitumen traction and be more resistant to punctures.

OJ.

Additional suggestions.
                          In XL 114 Load index with an AT tread pattern- Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Nitto Terra Grappler G2, Hankook RF10.
                          In LT119 Load index, with a mild AT tread - Yokohama G015.
                          thanks!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X