• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pats
    • Jul 2011
    • Quakers Hill

Leaking petrol out of filler - NP Petrol

I came out to my Paj leaking petrol out of the filler cap yesterday.

It only had 1/2 a tank, it was parked in a driverway on a slight incline. (Nose up, rear down) but it was nothing extreme.

I noticed the smell of petrol, and saw some dripping under the car. When I opened the filler door it came gushing out. I removed the cap and could see it dribbling up and out. I pushed the metal flap in the filler, but it didn't subside.

I was thinking it may be the fuel cap and/or a blocked breather somewhere?

This is the first time it has done it, but I after a big drive (4 hours) i could hear hissing out of the fuel cap, I released the pressure but 10 mins later it was hissing again.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Sounds very much like a pressurised tank. Check your breather. This sits under the fuel filler/wheel arch. There is a plastic splash shield covering it. Remove the splash shield and check the breather isn't blocked. Also remove the breather and check the breather line for free flow (you should be able to blow into it freely)

Shane.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Glenno
      • Feb 2009
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by Mr Pats View Post
      I came out to my Paj leaking petrol out of the filler cap yesterday.

It only had 1/2 a tank, it was parked in a driverway on a slight incline. (Nose up, rear down) but it was nothing extreme.

I noticed the smell of petrol, and saw some dripping under the car. When I opened the filler door it came gushing out. I removed the cap and could see it dribbling up and out. I pushed the metal flap in the filler, but it didn't subside.

I was thinking it may be the fuel cap and/or a blocked breather somewhere?

This is the first time it has done it, but I after a big drive (4 hours) i could hear hissing out of the fuel cap, I released the pressure but 10 mins later it was hissing again.

Any help would be appreciated.
      Mr Pats
      I have had problems with a 3.2 diesel doing the same over the last 3 years. Mitsubishi changed breather and valve and caps (3 caps) but still leaked out fuel down the side of the vehicle. Virtually gave up with them so fiited an aftermarket "CPC" fuel cap which I sourced from Autobarn and all good so far.
      Good luck

Glenno

Comment

• Mr Pats
        • Jul 2011
        • Quakers Hill

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll get under the car this weekend and take a look at the breathers. I'll let you know how I go. I'll also look at getting a new cap.

Comment

• Mr Pats
          • Jul 2011
          • Quakers Hill

Didn't need to get under the car in my case. It was the filler cap.

No more leaking and no more smell (which used to be there on a regular basis).

I'm thinking that as the petrol sloshed around the tank and up the filler neck, the busted cap was allowing a vacuum to occur.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X