• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dirt_&_Dust
    • Apr 2019
    • Alice Springs

Greetings from the Red Centre

G'day all,

My name is Josh and I've just become the owner of a 2016 NX Exceed.

I live in Alice Springs; I've been up here for a few years - I moved up from Tassie for work and haven't looked back. I'd been considering buying a 4WD for a year or two, as there are so many tracks to explore out this way. I haven't really been able to justify owning two cars despite my best attempts at explaining the rationale to my wife, especially seeing as I ride my bike most places around town and to/from work, and I have another car back in Tassie - a 1958 FC Holden that I built into a track car (and obviously don't use).

Anyway, I digress. A while back our trusty old Peugeot wagon let us down, so I managed to sell the idea that we needed a 4WD to my wife. Wife agreed. Little did she know that I had been secretly researching this very subject for about a year; I knew what I wanted, and which accessories to option.

At the time, my wife was pregnant; preparing for a young family meant that we didn't have a lot of spare cash floating around, so a budget was set. I had my heart set on a 76 series Landcruiser, and that was what I was going to get; well, until I drove one. We hired a 76 Workmate and drove out to Palm Valley; a sandy, rocky trail along the World's oldest river bed, about an hour out of Alice. The 76 was so uncomfortable on the trail that it should have induced my wife's labour; the drive on sealed roads was like wrestling with an FJ Holden caught in a sidewind, and it had less guts than me after a carton of Cascade light.

Next, a 200 series - but the budget could only stretch to a 2013, which had 230,000 kays on the clock. Went like the clappers, but I couldn't help but think my old FC Holden had more factory options.

Then, a Prado. My wife liked this idea, as she thought it would be practical. Luckily we have a fleet of them at work so I took one for a spin; it was completely underwhelming, slow and the body roll was akin to the Spirit of Tasmania caught in a Bass Strait squall.

My options were exhausted, and I stopped looking for 6 months.

Recently, the trusty old Peugeot left us stranded again, and we decided that for peace of mind and the safety of our son who had joined the family, we needed to get a new vehicle. I drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee and was really impressed with the TDV6, however, the fact that the dealership had left town wasn't exactly confidence inspiring.

Finally, my wife saw a Pajero in a car yard up here, and suggested we take it for a spin. I wasn't into the idea; to be honest I always thought Pajeros were a bit daggy. We took it for a drive and I was blown away; plenty of useable power, loads of space and really comfortable. We didn't get that vehicle, though. I wanted a white one, and I wanted a nice stereo for long drives, and leather seats too, so that we could wipe off all the disgusting things that our boy smears on them.

I was trawling through Gumtree recently and found it in New South Wales; 2016 Exceed, white, polished front bar, engineered lift and increased ball weight, snorkel, A/T tyres, 45,000 kays. Did the deal and now waiting to organise freight to get it up here.

I'm sure I'll have loads of questions for the forum, seeing as I am new to both Pajeros and four-wheel drives generally.

I'm looking to purchase a single factory 18" wheel for a second spare; if anyone has one they are interested in selling, please let me know.

Regards,

Josh
  • paulq00
    • Dec 2013
    • Brisbane

Congratulations & hope you enjoy the car. I haven't regretted my choice of a Pajero & wish you the same good fortune!
    2000 NM GLS Pajero Silver - gone
    2014 NW VRX Pajero cool silver- gone
    2021 NX Exceed Pajero Titanium

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

Welcome to a previous 2 header!!
      2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• RUGGA
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2014
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
        Welcome to a previous 2 header!!

Ps, welcome to both heads.
        02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• El_Freddo
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2018
          • Bridgewater, Vic

Welcome D&D, top place you’re at!

Awesome way to do your research! The Pajero is the surprise package I reckon. And after towing a tandem trailer loaded with house stuff I can see why so many grey nomads townwith then too.

I bet you can’t wait for it’s arrival!

Cheers

Bennie
          2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• Wicks747
            • Oct 2014
            • Alice Springs

Hi mate. If you keen to explore get in touch with the outback 4wd club based in the Alice
            Sold 2004 PA Challenger
            Current 2010 XLT Ford Ranger. TJM winch bar, ARB rear bar, Gme uhf, Goodyear Wranglers, dual battery, light force blitz 240s, hard korr lightbar, bushskinz bash plates. Helical torque lock lsd.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X