• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chook
    • Aug 2007
    • canberra

05 Np headlight lens cracking

Hi all,
    I have just noticed that both of my polycarb? headlight lenses are getting multiple 2mm cracks in them. I think this may be from heat/UV. Before I take it to the dealer I would like to get your opinion if this is a common occurence and if there have been any notices about this.

thanks

chook
  • Stroker
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Glenorie NSW

Chook

Polycarb has a very high heat tolerance but a very poor chemical resistance especially to hydrocarbons, have you been using any Windex type cleaners in the squirter bottle or directly onto the headlight?

Have you got a pic you can post please?

Cheers Glenn
    NP Exceed 2005 3.2 diesel automatic , 100% stock standard except for the headlight globes

Comment

• chook
      • Aug 2007
      • canberra

No, I dont use chemicals in the washer water. The only time chemicals have been on the lights were during a drive through car wash. Maybe the detergent in there affected the polycarbinate lens. I'll try to get a photo tomorrow and see if I can up load it.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chook View Post
        Hi all,
        I have just noticed that both of my polycarb? headlight lenses are getting multiple 2mm cracks in them. I think this may be from heat/UV. Before I take it to the dealer I would like to get your opinion if this is a common occurence and if there have been any notices about this.

thanks

chook
        Dont waste your time with a dealer, it aint warranty, they will say it is an outside source beyond they control....GODS HONOUR.......HAHAHAHA

Comment

• chook
          • Aug 2007
          • canberra

I went to take a photo but by the time i finished work it was raining here. Unfortunately I will not have time to do it as I will be flat out travelling in the budawang ranges on a guys only weekend. Sigh...

I'll try to take photos and tell you how it went at the dealers next week.
          cheers

Comment

• simoncurly
            • Jul 2007
            • Adelaide SA

Originally posted by Stroker View Post
            Chook

Polycarb has a very high heat tolerance but a very poor chemical resistance especially to hydrocarbons, have you been using any Windex type cleaners in the squirter bottle or directly onto the headlight?

Have you got a pic you can post please?

Cheers Glenn
            Used any of the long life polishes ..they generally have a hydrocarbon solvent .... and you haven't fitted high power halogen globes by any chance ? Heat tolerance is relative ... glass is much better than polycarb ...and doesn't scratch anywhere as easily ..does of course shatter though .. but i digress .. i have noticed some light fogging in my NP at the top of the light on the inside ..

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X