• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inyo_man
    • Aug 2010
    • USA

specs. for rear bilsteins

I'm trying to fit my NM (2002) with new rear dampeners.
    The rig has OME 918 springs (HD). (1.75 inches /appox. 44mm lift)

I'm hoping to get some spec. information on the Bilsteins folks are using with springs that are comparable.

model# BE5-A6272 (example)
    travel
    collapsed length
    extended length
    valving 255/70 (example)

All information welcomed!
    Cheers.
    '02 Montero: OME suspension, ARB front bumper, sliders, homemade 4mm bash plates and spare tire Blitz can mount, extended breathers, K&N air filter, Optima Yellow Top, BajaRack,
    IPF lights, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/75/16's, RUD 4x4 Grip chains
  • Patagonia
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2009
    • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

found some info long ago in another forum so I cannot confirm they are correct (both stock and bilstein) if true bislteins would be a little bit shorter than stock. Anyways you can ask bilstein to supply longer ones but donĀ“t know the cost.

Original shocks rear: 58 cm extension, 38 cm en compresion.

Bilstein B6:

Part Number: 24-062725
    Old Part Number: F4-BE5-6272-M0;F4-BE5-6272-M1
    Setting: B6 Heavy Duty (HD)
    Drive Type: 4WD
    Position: Rear
    compresion (MM): 355.0
    extension (MM): 566,5
    Lower Mounting: Eye 14.2mm
    Upper Mounting: pin
    Internal Design: Monotube
    Boot Included: Yes
    Mounting Kit: N/A
    Spring Seat: No

For the front ones there was no measurementes but it had the comment that the bilsteins were 1,5 cm longer than stock.
    2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
    Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
    31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
    2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• HarryStottle
      • Dec 2011
      • Yalata SA

Inyo Man, send an email to Kieron at Bushskinz
      [email protected]

He's the man with all the info. Just had new Bilstien shocks and Lovells springs in my NM and made a huge difference.
      2012 NW Activ auto 3.2 Diesel, ARB Steel Bullbar, 50mm Raised OME, Polyairs, LED Spots, Light Bar, Warn winch, GME UHF, Baroud Tent, ARB Side & Rear Awnings, Engel 40ltr Fridge, drawers, dual battery, ARB Dual Compressor, Ultragauge, Munji ERG Delete Module, MM LockUp Mate.

Comment

• pugsley1967
        • May 2015
        • Thornlie WA

Originally posted by HarryStottle View Post
        Inyo Man, send an email to Kieron at Bushskinz
        [email protected]

He's the man with all the info. Just had new Bilstien shocks and Lovells springs in my NM and made a huge difference.
        sorry for the hijack.
        HarryStottle, did you get the SD or HD springs? how does it handle & ride on the road? I've heard some say the HD springs are quite bouncy unless there is a constant load on them.
        cheers.
        2005 GLS 3.2 Auto.
        2" lift with Lovell's,
        Bushskinz intercooler, sump & trans guards.
        X-Rox bar with winch on the way,
        auxiliary tank, rear air bags,
        2micron secondary fuel filter,
        turbo timer, HID spots,
        LED light bar, UHF radio.

Comment

• HarryStottle
          • Dec 2011
          • Yalata SA

I spoke to Kieron for advice. Mine has a steel bullbar, winch, rear storage, rear dual battery etc and I live north of the Tanami, so really shitty roads constantly. With all of that Kieron advised me to HD front and rear. If I was in town on bitumen most of the time I would probably have gone MD. That being said, the old Monroes that were on it had died and the ride now is excellent. Also sits considerably higher than it did despite already being raised, the old springs had sagged. Really worth a chat with him, he knows his stuff and has had Pajeros himself.
          2012 NW Activ auto 3.2 Diesel, ARB Steel Bullbar, 50mm Raised OME, Polyairs, LED Spots, Light Bar, Warn winch, GME UHF, Baroud Tent, ARB Side & Rear Awnings, Engel 40ltr Fridge, drawers, dual battery, ARB Dual Compressor, Ultragauge, Munji ERG Delete Module, MM LockUp Mate.

Comment

• pauld
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2010
            • Melbourne

I had Lovells HD and SD initially on our NP. I wouldn't go different again as it left the angle of the car nose up and this increased over time as the SD rears sagged more than the HD fronts. In the end I changed to HD. When we did this we didn't really find it much different from a 'harshness' point of view but the car handled dramatically better (front to back pitch was now correct) and of course there was less sag.

Now we are in a new NX and I changed to Lovells HD all round and Bilstein after 2000 kms. This was an interesting comparison as the factory suspension was new when changed instead of worn out when we changed in the NP. There's differences between the factory suspension and the Bilstein / Lovells setup but I can't say it is 'harsher'. In fact the Mrs after a few drives said "OMG, it so smooth with the suspension done".

We do find however that we still get decent rear sag when hooking up the camper to go away, made slightly worse because I can't get the tow bar up as high on the NX so the trailer angles down and gives more ball weight. So for trips I have ordered some EHD Rears, easy to change. Will see how it feels once in... maybe I will just keep them in there.

In the 3rd row seat well of both cars on a day to day basis was/is 2 x 100AH batteries + tools, compressor etc + a cargo barrier, but of course the 3rd row seat is not in.
            2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• Inyo_man
              • Aug 2010
              • USA

Thanks fellas for the information...

I sent a message to Bushskinz in an effort to get the valving numbers.

How do these shocks handle a fully laden rig (without pulling a caravan) off highway? I'm hoping to not have the rear end sagging when in the backcounty...
              '02 Montero: OME suspension, ARB front bumper, sliders, homemade 4mm bash plates and spare tire Blitz can mount, extended breathers, K&N air filter, Optima Yellow Top, BajaRack,
              IPF lights, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/75/16's, RUD 4x4 Grip chains

Comment

• Easykill1978
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2008
                • Melbourne Vic

rear sag is normal when hooking up a trailer/camper.

weight has a magnifying effect, like the leverage principle..

were a long pipe can magnify your power when undoing bolts.. same deal, extended weight of the rear will add more pressure to the springs. i dont have the formula, but the weight/pressure magnifies.

if you tow or load the rear up alot to GVM, then get airbags.

there are two types.

1 that you can pump to around 40psi and one to 80psi with special covers..
                the later for very heavy weight, i would get the first set.

I have lovels MD springs and shocks all round am happy with them.. now i am getting airbags to put in the rear.. that whey when i 4x4 i simply add a bit of air before loading her up and good to go.
                My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• HarryStottle
                  • Dec 2011
                  • Yalata SA

Inyo_Man, I have to say that the car handles great on dirt roads with the Lovells/Bilstiens. Haven't done any really nasty tracks, but plenty of corrugations, grids and dry creek crossings etc. Have only done about 3000kms so far, so virtually new still, but am really impressed with the ride. Worth the extra dollars.

Comment

• Apr 2011
                    • Monteviale, Vicenza, Italy

The Bilstein B6 shock/strut setup works very well paired with OME springs. I have the standard duty OME springs (2" lift) and the B6 shocks which I've been very pleased with both on and offroad.

After I ran the OME/Bilstein setup for a while I added an ARB Sahara bar and winch with synthetic line - the front end did not drop at all - same measurement after fitting. For the rear I have airbags fitted as well but have only needed them when towing a ~3000 pound 18' camper and the cargo area was pretty well filled up.

I haven't had any sag problems at the rear - expect when fully loaded and towing.

InyoMan - if you are looking to buy the B6 shocks I'd checkout truckspring.com, they are in Michigan and have the best prices I've found along with actually being in stock when I wanted to buy.

Good Luck
                    2005 Montero Limited (NP Exceed) OME medium duty front and rear, Bilsteins, Asfir aluminum skidplates (Engine, Transmission and Rear Air Con), HID projectors retrofit with power level adjustment, Clarion NX505 Double-Din Nav, 18" Shogun Rims, ARB Sahara Bar color matched with PIAA 540 Fogs and Clearwater Lights Sevina LEDs, Superwinch TigerShark 9500 Synthetic, Power Folding Mirrors mod

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X