• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hotwheels
    • Jun 2013
    • Victoria

Roof for my jtop

Hi , helppppp Im after a new roof for my soft top Pajero. I have done heaps of searching, Austops and 4wd world arent making them anymore I was getting Austops to make one for me but the the guy has been unwell in hospital so Im abit uncertain if I will get my roof made.
    Does anyone know if there is a place in Melbourne? Oh just for your info the guy from Austops makes the tops for 4wd world.
  • coyote
    • May 2013
    • East Gippsland

Any decent motor trimmer would be able to make one for you.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by hotwheels View Post
      Hi , helppppp Im after a new roof for my soft top Pajero. I have done heaps of searching, Austops and 4wd world arent making them anymore I was getting Austops to make one for me but the the guy has been unwell in hospital so Im abit uncertain if I will get my roof made.
      Does anyone know if there is a place in Melbourne? Oh just for your info the guy from Austops makes the tops for 4wd world.
      When I made a casual inquiry about a replacement soft-top from 4WD-World, it was explained to me that the Aust. company making the fabric (doesn't shrink like original), has closed-up shop, & so once he's used up his stock of material, the Austops guy is retiring. Was told there's no black left, but had the last white top cut & ready to make, & as my J-top is white with white-wheels wasn't keen on having teal, purple or pink, decided to leave a deposit.
      Have I been had?

Not sure whether a good motor-trimmer would get it right if they haven't done a J-top before.
      Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
      "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• jop
        • Oct 2008
        • brisbane

Try these guys - http://www.yellowpages.com.au/qld/gy...0-listing.html

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009
          • Peakhurst, Sydney

Would you consider something like this tonneau & rear-window/surround as an option? I'm trying to find out who made it, as supposedly it was made locally.

Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
          "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• hotwheels
            • Jun 2013
            • Victoria

Stevie yes I know about Austops and the very limited colours he has left I wouldve liked black but as you already know the story.
            3weeks ago I finally decided on the colour Dune (which is a sandy light tan colour) I thought this was the best of a bad bunch so to speak to make the red duco. I to gave him a deposit (on his request) to get the job started, he is also making me a matching spare tyre cover. He said it would take abour 5 weeks, I rang last to see how the roof is going. I was told hes in hospital and been there about 2 weeks, and should be out in a weeks time. So I hope hes ok and well enough to make our roofs Steve.
            And I hope I havent done my $$$$$ as well, your jtop looks great as a little ute but I want the roof. If Austops dont do my roof Im back to square one again.

I did ask one of the local motor trimmers, and he said I can make one for $5,000 bloody crazy. I tried Cobbs Covers, and they put me onto Austops it gets very disappointing and tiring searching and searching.

Comment

• hotwheels
              • Jun 2013
              • Victoria

Hey Stevie Ray, Wayne from Austops rang me last Friday and hes out of hospital which is great news. And hes well enough to finish my roof which Im super happy about.

Comment

• 98NL GL
                • Oct 2011
                • Cairns

Jtop roof

Stevie yes I know about Austops and the very limited colours he has left I wouldve liked black but as you already know the story.
                3weeks ago I finally decided on the colour Dune (which is a sandy light tan colour) I thought this was the best of a bad bunch so to speak to make the red duco. I to gave him a deposit (on his request) to get the job started, he is also making me a matching spare tyre cover. He said it would take abour 5 weeks, I rang last to see how the roof is going. I was told hes in hospital and been there about 2 weeks, and should be out in a weeks time. So I hope hes ok and well enough to make our roofs Steve.
                And I hope I havent done my $$$$$ as well, your jtop looks great as a little ute but I want the roof. If Austops dont do my roof Im back to square one again.

I did ask one of the local motor trimmers, and he said I can make one for $5,000 bloody crazy. I tried Cobbs Covers, and they put me onto Austops it gets very disappointing and tiring searching and searching.

hey Hot wheels,
                Are you after brand new or would a used one do?.

cheers,
                XSWAT 1998 NL GL, 3.5L MANUAL, 2" OME 50 mm Lift, MAXXIS 751 33X12.5R15 on CSA N26 RIMS with -11 OFFSET, UNIDEN UHF, NARVA 175 SPOTTIES, AIRCON & RADIO/CD,......CONVERTED to SEVEN SEATER, Manual Hubs (ex tritton)
                1990 NG SWB 2.5 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, 33s, LIGHT BAR, GEN 2 IDLER & PITMAN ARMS. PLANS - Dual Battery.
                1999 NL SWB 2.8 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, INVECS TIPTRONIC AUTOMATIC GEARBOX, ARB BULLBAR, DUAL BATTERY, SPOTTIES, ROOF RACK.
                2016 MY16 PAJERO GLX AUTO DID GRAPHITE COLOR STOCK

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Peakhurst, Sydney

Hey Stevie Ray, Wayne from Austops rang me last Friday and hes out of hospital which is great news. And hes well enough to finish my roof which Im super happy about.
                  Ed from 4WD World also let me know Wayne is well enough to hopefully finish mine this week.
                  Btw, that pic I posted isn't my J-top but some guy from Blacktown advertising on Gum-tree. However I'm still keen to work out how much that rear-window/tonneau combo will cost, with a view to selling them on ebay, & that's why I'd like to see whether there's any interest if they were much cheaper than a replacement soft-top.
                  This is my J-top;

Latest update;
                  Last edited by Stevie-Ray; 11-06-13, 11:11 PM. Reason: replace link
                  Steve

Comment

• jop
                    • Oct 2008
                    • brisbane

I definitely think there is a market for replacement of the clear window material only - but a bit hard to sell them on ebay.

I know my old jtop (my brother has it) needs it's 4wd1 top repaired as it has torn along the rear bar clip in section.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by jop View Post
                      I definitely think there is a market for replacement of the clear window material only - but a bit hard to sell them on ebay.

I know my old jtop (my brother has it) needs it's 4wd1 top repaired as it has torn along the rear bar clip in section.
                      Problem is that the factory soft-top material shrinks over time (something that the fabric in replacement tops aren't supposed to do), causing all sorts of problems. One is that it makes hooking that bar on the clips really difficult & strains the fabric.
                      Someone has had a go at repairing where the zips are sewn on, but it hasn't fixed the problem & the Velcro is cm's away from where it should be.
                      Steve

Comment

• SHAWN J-TOP
                        • Mar 2013
                        • South africa

j top

hi,im from SA,fitted a glass top to my 94 j-top.as there is nothing available here.PS im looking for hard top,if anyone can help

Comment

• SHAWN J-TOP
                          • Mar 2013
                          • South africa

can anyone help with a hard top?im from South Africa,

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by SHAWN J-TOP View Post
                            can anyone help with a hard top?im from South Africa,
                            Someone in Brisbane, Qld, was selling this fibreglass top recently, but nowhere near me, or what my budget could afford; http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisb...ero/1028333021
                            I'm going to contact Crown Canopies to find out whether they have records of how many they actually made & where they were sold, but also if they still have the moulds to make any new ones (only have newer Tritons listed for MM vehicles). I'll let you know the outcome.
                            Steve

Comment

• Allanmac56
                              • Oct 2013
                              • Ningi

soft top replacement

Have decided to take up an offer from a Brisbane trimmer to replace allthe 'canvas' on my soft top. Yes livjing in Victoria makes it a little expensive but after wasting so much time looking for somone to do the job and hearing so many lame excuses as to why it either can't be done or would cost way too much have decided to go for it. Besides any excuse to let the old girl stretch her legs. Will post some. Pics of the new liveryy when it is finished.
                              NH ragtop shorty, 2.5 tdi, safari snorkel,lifted around 2" but after 26 yrs of abuse looks and feels like a whole lot more everyday car that turns into a miniature beast when called on.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X