• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barneymutt
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Regents Park. Qld

Transfer Case to Chassis Insulator/Mount

The brackets that hold the mount don't line up and are causing the mount to tear out. This is the second one to do this, at $50 a piece I'm reluctant to keep replacing it.
    Does anyone know why this is happening and what is causing it?
    You can see in the pics the Transfer side hangs about 1/2" lower than it should.

Click image for larger version

Name:	03102012661.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	991954

Name:	03102012662.jpg
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	991955

And as the rubber in the mount is only a light webbing, it tears out very easily.

Name:	03102012665.jpg
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	991953
  • Bogger
    Unregistered as asked
    • May 2011

Collapsed rear engine mount ? Also from memory I think auto and manual rear mount on trans differs .................. crossmember bent .
    When your up remind me and can give you four or so cross members for free and at least eliminate that as a cause.
    Cheers

Comment

• jkwpajero
      • Jun 2008
      • Young, NSW

When I replaced my transfer torque mount I filled all the webbing up with black Silastic, when I saw how thin the webbing was. It has held up for two years now. Once you have worked out the misalignment problem do as I did and at least it will last longer.
      2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2012
        • Maitland, NSW

+1 to rear eng mount(crossmemember mount), my rear eng mount is gone and there about $90-$100 for a kelpro one.

I used a few peices of soft worn heater hoses around the insulator bucs to get by to stop the torque slap of the insulator bush when under heavy load then pushing the clutch in(evident of a rear engine mount also).

P.s from memory 95' on used the same insulator mounts on auto/manual.
        Last edited by Pauly Faulkner; 03-10-12, 12:04 PM.
        97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
        97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• Bogger
          Unregistered as asked
          • May 2011

Just as a note here the mount we speak of is in fact not a mount as such it's really just a torque limiter to limit the trans being able to twist. Had have a few arguments with RWC blokes that say once webbing is broken the mount isn't any good. It doesn't support the weight as you can see by the webbing it would be lucky to hold the weight of an exhaust let alone a transmission.
          Just noted your reply Pauly ............... exactly torque reaction.

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2012
            • Maitland, NSW

So true, that mount(insulator) are pretty useless, if they're getting hammered it's usually one of the eng mounts worn.
            97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel

Comment

• Barneymutt
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2007
              • Regents Park. Qld

Hey Pete and Pauly,
              I had the cross member and rear mount out a few months ago when I did the transmission service and the mount looked to be in good condition, still in one piece and the cross member itself is straight.
              When you say it could be collapsed, can it still be in one piece and just sagged.
              I just got underneath with a jack, and jacked up the mount. Everything came into alignment and the mount rubber just flexed, it didn't show any tears.
              So, can the mount collapse and stay together?

Comment

• Barneymutt
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2007
                • Regents Park. Qld

Originally posted by jkwpajero View Post
                When I replaced my transfer torque mount I filled all the webbing up with black Silastic, when I saw how thin the webbing was. It has held up for two years now. Once you have worked out the misalignment problem do as I did and at least it will last longer.
                Hey James,
                I will look at doing that.
                I saw your Paj in the previous edition of 4WD Action, it looks good, you've done well with it.
                I'm the bloke that sold you the plenum chamber that you sent off to be modified.
                If I'd had of know what you where up to I think I might have kept it and done it myself., it's all good. I've added the mod to my list of things to do.

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2012
                  • Maitland, NSW

Yeah m8 they sag, mine sagged heaps, the rubber has nearly wrapped around cross member
                  If I lift my TC at the output shaft I need to lift it around 20-25mm to get the insulator to lineup, at this position the rear eng mount is still slightly sagged.

Front eng mounts also play a roll in this but I'd say it's rear one most likely, should replace them all at the same time anyways.

Comment

• Barneymutt
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2007
                    • Regents Park. Qld

Hey Pauly,
                    I went and bought a new one, had to shop around, bit of a price difference.
                    Bursons quoted $146, Repco quoted $138. Ended up at Lee's Performance Parts at Underwood up here in Brissy.
                    $100 for the rear mount and $30 for the Torque Stay.
                    When I compare my old mount to the new one, my old one has sagged over an inch.
                    No wonder I had a problem.
                    Thanks very much for your help Pauly.
                    Thank you also Pete, much appreciated.

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2012
                      • Maitland, NSW

No wackas, glad we could help
                      Let us now how it goes lining up etc after the install.

Comment

• Stimpy
                        • Apr 2011
                        • Brissy

Originally posted by Bogger View Post
                        Just as a note here the mount we speak of is in fact not a mount as such it's really just a torque limiter to limit the trans being able to twist. Had have a few arguments with RWC blokes that say once webbing is broken the mount isn't any good. It doesn't support the weight as you can see by the webbing it would be lucky to hold the weight of an exhaust let alone a transmission.
                        Just noted your reply Pauly ............... exactly torque reaction.
                        Exactly the same setup on the Triton. My ML used to do the same thing

Comment

• Barneymutt
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2007
                          • Regents Park. Qld

The new and the old. Bit of a difference.

Name:	04102012666.jpg
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	963529

It's all fixed and everything realigned. Only just got it finished, will test drive tomorrow. Hopefully got rid of the vibration as well.
                          Many thanks again Pauly and Pete.

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
                            Valued Member
                            • Feb 2012
                            • Maitland, NSW

Mine vibrates slightly, but heaps in 4wd at 2.5k-2.8k rpm, vibrated more after I put the hose off cuts in between the bush, probably due to the insulator being hard up on the chassis mount.
                            Hopefully your issue is sorted

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X