Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bits and Pieces

Bits and Pieces Whatever does not fit into the other catergories.

Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
Here in Australia our police fit bull bars to their Pajeros. I don't think you'll have any trouble on that front.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...shi_Pajero.jpg
All bullbars that are sold in Australia are meant to be ADR compliant so no problems there. I have seen 4wds from overseas touring Australia, easily noticeable from the overseas number plates and the "interesting" bolted on accessories that mainly include front bullbars and rear bars that have fuel containers and spare tyre's or massive tool boxes mounted on them.

I was under the impression that the ADR's only applied to vehicle being permantley imported and registered in Australia. However you would need to be compliant with the Road Traffic Acts which include "no dangerous protrusions on the exterior of the vehicle"

If you fit a steel bar with a winch and also an auxiliary battery under the bonnet, then you may need to upgrade your front suspension. Alloy bars are lighter and Smartbars (polymer) bars are even lighter.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LOT5krTPQmQ

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT245/75/16, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 3 Days Ago

Great advice thank you. We'll be sure to take more care crossing the Sydney Harbour Bridge...

Seriously, we do plan to learn what we can about how to avoid collisions, we found that https://rac.com.au/car-motoring/info...mal-collisions has some good advice, and your advice is also appreciated. As a rule we never drive at night outside cities/towns, so this will help.

Whatever we do with a bull bar we'll have to do when we get to Australia - I have learned that they are illegal here. We would also have to take the bull bar off before shipping the vehicle home again.

We have fitted a Dobinson's upgraded suspension, with a 50 mm lift, and it works really well on some tough rocky tracks here. Should handle any additional fornt weigh OK I think. Also if we go with bars the Smartbars sound like a good solution.

The ADR situation is now clearer. We are not going for an "extreme" modification, and will mount antenna(e) and sand flag so that there are no dangerous protrusions. The plan is to have extra fuel cans on the roof rack, maybe a kit box on the roof (preferably not), and otherwise be fairly standard on the exterior. Extra water will be internal. Take the point re "interesting" additions - we have seen some "over the top" kit in Africa in particular.

We have considered a second battery (had three on our Land Cruiser in Africa) and at present are thinking of sticking with only the standard battery. It's a "smart" refrigerator, we'll be trickle-charging laptop, iPad, iPhones, and camera batteries (not all at the same time) and running the GPS and radios, but otherwise no great battery demand. Opinions on the wisdom of this welcome.

We plan to buy and install HF/VHF radio in Australia (no issues ensuring frequencies are appropriate, etc.). I'm assuming that this is a simple task? We would be looking for a small radio which we can fit into the existing dash.