Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Default Positive battery cable size

Anyone else have a way bigger positive battery cable? I'm looking at trying to extend the cables a little bit, as it's a tight fit into battery (and can use other batteries I have sitting around that are the wrong way around). I would say the positive cable has double the area of the negative cable (not double diameter)

Anyone else have the same thing? Any idea what their reasoning was for doing this?
Old 4 Weeks Ago

My guess is it's a voltage drop consideration. On my NL, the negative lead has only a short run before it is clamped to the car body. The positive lead would have a longer run until the 12V supply is first needed.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I concur with brw0513.

For a short extension my solution was a piece of copper busbar. See post #3:here:
https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...=Busbar&page=3
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I just figured that with all the connections that the earth goes through that it would have more resistance regardless.

I guess my car is not alone in the short battery cables. I've got plenty off extra cable here, so for the positive I've soldered a short extension into some copper pipe, flattened that and drilled hole. Will bolt that between the ends on the existing cables. For the negative I've just got a bare end, so I'll just use a bit a bit of pipe to use as a job for extension, soldered in

Problem is it doesn't need much, just a smidge of extra length. My extension is a bit long. Bus bar is a good idea for short extension. The length I seem to have now looks like it will suit the battery put in the wrong way around, problem is I think going shorter won't leave me with enough flex. Size of the positive cable means I don't want to try going directly to the cable itself