• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richard d
    • Sep 2019
    • adelaide

Whisteling noise on cold start up

hi all ,new to the forum and i have been searching every where for this kind of issue (I THINK SOMETIMES ITS IN THE HEADING)
    It has probably been covered but thought i would ask anyway ,
    every morning i start up the pajero i get this whisteling noise (sound like a steam whistle like a train)
    whirring sound .
    Its not the vacuum hoses tested them ,its comming from the front of the engine .

i am leaning to believe it is one or two of the idler pulllies as when i spray them with so WD40 it stops for a few seconds then returns .once the engine is warm and has run for a bit its gone?

then returns the next cold morning on start.

have ordered the pullies and a new belt to fit what would be the next thing to look at .
    only had the car 2 weeks .oh and ( I AM THE WARRANTY )

any advice would be nice cheers
    2003 NP Exceed (JAN BUILD) current driver
    1998 GLS
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

I had a similar noise that I described as a whistle on a TD Santa Fe a few years back and it was the exhaust manifold gasket, only takes a tiny fault / crack or the like to create a whistle when cold and once it was hot that small air passage was closed due to expansion. Noise gone once replaced.

Comment

• Lance
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2009
      • Melbourne

Perhaps check the tension on the belts before you take them off and maybe a squirt of 'Belt Grip'
      Find drive belts, timing belts and chains for sale. Buy drive belts and parts online, in-store or Click and Collect from over 250 stores in 1 hour.

I'm not sure the likes of WD40 is a good thing on belts.......just my thinking.....
      2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
      2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• Kingbrown
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2012
        • Port Augusta - SA

I've known of a crook alternator producing a high pitched whistle. Short brushes or faulty diode(s).

High charge rate (after startup) or heavy electrical load made the whistling noise more pronounced.
        2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X