• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Rhino SX 2 roof bars - feet question

Hey everyone I bought these cheap on gumtree for our upcoming trip. Anyone got the same ones? Came off a Mondeo. They are the correct right bar length but are the feet right? They are squared off on the inside rather than tapered so they don’t really push evenly on the inside of the rail.

If so, I’ll keep them as is as they do fit quite securely I’ll admit.

If not correct feet, I won’t buy the right ones but will simply modify them with a wedge screwed into the plastic and relocate the rubber piece onto the new wedge to make sure they’re secure over many miles of corrugations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

That screen shot from rhino website is specially for the Pajero (I selected the vehicle) but can’t see the inside mount clearly. It says foot model number SX100 and when I google it it shows mine so I think it’s right but would like to be 100% sure

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

They are as supplied with the rack so no need to modify them.
      Attached Files
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
        Valued Member
        • May 2017
        • Sydney

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
        They are as supplied with the rack so no need to modify them.
        Many thanks Ian. Yours seem to get a better grip on the inside than mine? If you compare the photos closely. But if I lift mine up a bit the outer hook doesn’t hook on quite so well underneath.

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

Is it just a matter of tightening them a bit ?
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
            Valued Member
            • May 2017
            • Sydney

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
            Is it just a matter of tightening them a bit ?
            Good thinking but afraid not, I've done them quite firmly, as firm as I feel comfortable and they do hold on firmly but as mentioned when you look at the inside it's barely touching! Especially compared to yours.

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

There's little or no compression on the top of the rubber on your pics like there is on mine but apart from more tightening, I can't see why.

Comment

• Nuggy
                • May 2019
                • Perth

Hi
                I'm looking at buying the same Rhino racks. Did you try and tighten further to get more area to contact the roof rail? Is there an adjustment where the mount meets the rail? Possible that needs to be backed off and tightened once the feet are clamped.
                Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have the equivalent Thule bars? Are they a better fit?
                2012 NW Platinum 3.2L

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2017
                  • Sydney

Rhino SX 2 roof bars - feet question

Originally posted by Nuggy View Post
                  Hi

I'm looking at buying the same Rhino racks. Did you try and tighten further to get more area to contact the roof rail? Is there an adjustment where the mount meets the rail? Possible that needs to be backed off and tightened once the feet are clamped.

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have the equivalent Thule bars? Are they a better fit?
                  Hey mate tightening further won’t help and will only risk stripping something. They do feel secure and if I shake them it shakes the car but I still don’t like the point of contact to be honest. I paid $100 for them on Gumtree - half the cost of comparable ones I saw and same price as generic ones of eBay. They’re in good nick with everything included plus 2 keys and instruction manual. I can modify them with a wedge and relocate the rubber for a better grip. But if I paid RRP $357 - or even $200! - I’d be wanting a better looking fit to be honest.

Ian’s look like they grip a bit better at point of contact on the inside and it’s possible mine are a slightly different foot to ones you’d get if you go to a store and say “I have a Pajero” so don’t go solely by my experience.

One thing I did notice is that mine are pushed down harder than Ian’s, because the rubber skirt on the side of his isn’t flanged out as much as mine is on the top of the factory rail. As a result his contacts further down the inside rubber. But if I don’t push mine down as hard it won’t hook under the factory rail on the outside bottom edge.

Comment

• kblof
                    • Apr 2017
                    • Radelaide

Hi
                    I took mine off the other week and here are the pics for you to compare - look the same as yours to me?
                    Attached Files
                    2011 NT Pajero| DID

Comment

• Ian H
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2015
                      • Melbourne

Mine came with the SX roof tray, not the bars so maybe there's a slight difference? But I can't see why that would be the case.

Comment

• Nuggy
                        • May 2019
                        • Perth

I purchased some brand new bars on the weekend. Upon fitting I've noticed they fit exactly like your photos HeavyPizzaz. They seem to be pretty solid still.
                        2012 NW Platinum 3.2L

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2017
                          • Sydney

I purchased some brand new bars on the weekend. Upon fitting I've noticed they fit exactly like your photos HeavyPizzaz. They seem to be pretty solid still.
                          Very interesting, thanks for letting me know Nuggy (loving the username also). Did you happen to give Rhino a call? Would be interested to see what they say about it. Since you purchased them new you might get a better response from them than I.

Comment

• Nuggy
                            • May 2019
                            • Perth

Haha yeah it's not bad. It's my Nick name at work. I don't think I'll bother, I believe Rhino will say that's all they can offer. I feel like all the gripping power is the outside part which fits the rail very well. I grabbed them and could rock the car quite well. In the manual is states the offroad weight limit drops to 60kg.
                            2012 NW Platinum 3.2L

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2017
                              • Sydney

I feel like all the gripping power is the outside part which fits the rail very well
                              I know what you mean, that’s the conclusion I reached too. I think I’m going to run out of time with other mods prior to my trip so won’t bother. Truth is I’m not carrying a huge amount on the roof. Awning, maybe a tyre carcass at most but not close to 60kg.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X