• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nab
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Perth

That is cheap for the 70 profile!!! I checked a couple places when I was looking (my regular tyre guy was as shocked as me!) and they were all the same. I will stick to my bricks and mortar shop though.
    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Paj11
      • Jun 2017
      • Sydney

Yeh agree, certain products best left to bricks and mortar, I don’t mind paying extra for peace and mind. I have about 5000km left on two of my tyres, so I will keep an eye out for the next 6 months across all the usual tyre dealerships for the specials, still keen on either the Opats, Pirreli Scorpions or Cooper At3s. Not interested in upgrading from the KOs to KO2s
      2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Nab View Post
        Just an FYI, when I bought my Toyo AT2 265/65/17, cost was about $265 F&B. going to a 265/70/17 was and extra $80 per tyre, couldn't justify the extra $400 for the set of 5!!!!
        Are you sure the difference didn't include P vs LT construction?
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Nab
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Perth

Both LT, I double checked!!!! That was over 12 months ago, maybe things have since changed. Both places said supply and demand, 265/65/17 is standard size for many 4x4 manufacturers so they sell mobs of them. 70 profile mainly for people who ask for it, not a common standard manufacturer size.
          SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
          NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Nab View Post
            Both LT, I double checked!!!! That was over 12 months ago, maybe things have since changed. Both places said supply and demand, 265/65/17 is standard size for many 4x4 manufacturers so they sell mobs of them. 70 profile mainly for people who ask for it, not a common standard manufacturer size.
            Toyo do not make/list the 265/65R17 is a passenger construction, both the 65 & 70 series are LT construction.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Paj11
              • Jun 2017
              • Sydney

Has anyone had any experience with Nitto Terra Grappler? Bob Jane have a Nitto sale, buy 4 pay for 3, at $280 a tyre for 265/70/17, so that’s 5 tyres for $1120, but it doesn’t stipulate on their website if that price is for P or LT, it just states it’s available in both, it’s a 121 R rating.
              Last edited by Paj11; 13-06-19, 07:38 PM. Reason: Mistake
              2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

• Paj11
                • Jun 2017
                • Sydney

This price is for the G2.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Greater Sydney

That's a load rating of 1450kg and 170kph speed.

Comment

• Paj11
                    • Jun 2017
                    • Sydney

Does that rate more like a passenger or LT tyre?

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

In Pajero tyre sizes, passenger construction tyres have a load rating around 110.

A load rating around 120 is definitely LT construction.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Paj11 View Post
                        Does that rate more like a passenger or LT tyre?
                        Load index 121 is a LT light truck construction tyre.

When comparing tyre's it is worth looking at tread depth and the "value" tyre have shallower tread depths. Manufacturers quote total tread depth but you can not legally use the last 1.6mm, if you are travelling off road then allow that the last 3mm of tread depth is not useable. So get the total tread depth for the tyre's you are looking at, minus 3mm and then divide this number into the price rice of the tyre to get a cost perm of tread depth, you will be quite surprised at you get. Often the cheap tyre with shallow tread depth works out more costly per mm of tread depth. This assumes all tyre's wear at the same rate, good quality tyre's will have a high silica content as this aids in wet weather performance.

Aa $300 tyre with 10mm tread depth has 7mm of useful tread depth so that is $42.85 per mm of tread.
                        A $360 tyre with 13mm of tread has 10mm of useful tread depth so that is $36.00 per mm of tread.
                        You do not have to be a rocket scientist to work out which tyre is better value in the long run.

OJ.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Paj11
                          • Jun 2017
                          • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                          Load index 121 is a LT light truck construction tyre.

When comparing tyre's it is worth looking at tread depth and the "value" tyre have shallower tread depths. Manufacturers quote total tread depth but you can not legally use the last 1.6mm, if you are travelling off road then allow that the last 3mm of tread depth is not useable. So get the total tread depth for the tyre's you are looking at, minus 3mm and then divide this number into the price rice of the tyre to get a cost perm of tread depth, you will be quite surprised at you get. Often the cheap tyre with shallow tread depth works out more costly per mm of tread depth. This assumes all tyre's wear at the same rate, good quality tyre's will have a high silica content as this aids in wet weather performance.

Aa $300 tyre with 10mm tread depth has 7mm of useful tread depth so that is $42.85 per mm of tread.
                          A $360 tyre with 13mm of tread has 10mm of useful tread depth so that is $36.00 per mm of tread.
                          You do not have to be a rocket scientist to work out which tyre is better value in the long run.

OJ.
                          The OPATs are 12.8mm, Cooper does not give depths on their website only to say they have 30% more tread than OEM, Nitto only give tread depths on the Passenger tyres, not sure why but come in at 10.8mm, so I figure the LT must at least be the same as Toyo as Toyo make Nitto tyres in the same factory. So with that the Nittos would come at $28.59 per mm at 9.8 usable mm.

Comment

• Paj11
                            • Jun 2017
                            • Sydney

But in saying that tread depth wouldn’t be everything, compound, noise, weather handling etc etc all have to be taken into consideration, it’s just that I would hate to hand over the money then be annoyed if the tyre doesn’t meet expectations, then I would have to put up with them for the next 50000 odd kms.

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Paj11 View Post
                              But in saying that tread depth wouldn’t be everything, compound, noise, weather handling etc etc all have to be taken into consideration, it’s just that I would hate to hand over the money then be annoyed if the tyre doesn’t meet expectations, then I would have to put up with them for the next 50000 odd kms.
                              100% correct. Biggest problem is everyone wants a great on road tyre, a great off road tyre, a tyre that last 100,000kms, a tyre that is puncture proof and a tyre that is cheap!

Cooper AT3 LT have 12.7mm total tread depth for light truck construction.
                              Cooper AT3 4S Have a 10.3mm total tread depth for passenger construction.
                              Mickey Thompson AT38 9.9mm total tread depth for passenger construction.
                              Mickey Thompson AT38 12.7mm total tread depth for light truck construction.

OJ.

Comment

• Paj11
                                • Jun 2017
                                • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                                100% correct. Biggest problem is everyone wants a great on road tyre, a great off road tyre, a tyre that last 100,000kms, a tyre that is puncture proof and a tyre that is cheap!

Cooper AT3 LT have 12.7mm total tread depth for light truck construction.
                                Cooper AT3 4S Have a 10.3mm total tread depth for passenger construction.
                                Mickey Thompson AT38 9.9mm total tread depth for passenger construction.
                                Mickey Thompson AT38 12.7mm total tread depth for light truck construction.

OJ.
                                Yep, so something has to give, look for me I bought the Paj to predominately drive on sand where we go for holidays, I also tow a JetSki, but bought it to also have the option of towing a small caravan for weekend hikes, but mainly blacktop with some medium dirt tracks, but if thinks get rough of course I want the tyre to handle it, but I am not talking deep ruts or going over rocks, but want a good wet weather road handling tyre that has lower road noise than the KOs as 99% of the time spends its time on the blacktop, but the car being a man toy the tyre needs to also look the part, no point having a 2 inch lift with all the other mods if the tyre looks like it should be on a Hyundai Getz and doesn’t fill up the wheel well with any great enthusiasm.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X