• denmonkey
    • Oct 2017
    • Newcastle NSW

how'd you go Miner. Get a result ?

Comment

• Miner
      • Apr 2019
      • Abu Dhabi

Not done it yet... it’s been too hot, lying under the car when it’s pushing 50’C no fun. [emoji3062][emoji1]

Weather is on the break soon though and it’s due a service in 1000km... will get on it soon and update you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• denmonkey
        • Oct 2017
        • Newcastle NSW

mine has just started making a whining noise which I think is coming from the rear.

I've got it booked in this week for diff and transfer case fluid changes plus lube up th etail shaft. guessing there are joints there with nipples.

Was going to do it myself but for 200 bucks and across the road from work, I'll let them do it.

its got about 215k on the clock, and I don't know the condition of the fluids.

had it for about 3 years, so figure worth doing anyway.

they're going to check bearings as well.

I asked a price on the bearings....are you sitting down.

350per wheel for the hub and 120 to fit.

so about $1900 all up. said thanks but no thanks.

found them online for $100 a pair. probably not buy the cheapest ones though and just do it myself. 2grand vs maybe 500 for all of them.

they sure know how to price themselves out.

plus they weren't genuine parts either.

F&*K that

Comment

• eman
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2009
          • Cranebrook, NSW

Be wary of non-genuine, reports of them lasting less than 50,000 km
          Genuine wheel bearings off eBay for just under $400 each from mitsfix. Bit pricey but I just replaced all of mine that had done 340,000km
          2009 NT GLS DiD 5spd - ARB Deluxe bar, Tigerz11 12,000lbs Winch, Airtec Snorkel, ARB Front Locker, TJM Rear Locker, Hankook AT-M 265/70/17, Bilsteins, Lovells HD 50mm, Bushskinz Intercooler, Sump, Trans & Transfer Case Guards, Brown Davis long range tank, Pioneer Head Unit, ARB Dual Battery Tray, Redarc SBI12, GME TX3440, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Stebel alarm & car horns, Rhino Pioneer Platform rack, DIY (Rear Shelf, Sliders, Fridge Slide), Ultragauge, 3" Exhaust

Comment

• twisted32
            • Jan 2015
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by eman View Post
            Be wary of non-genuine, reports of them lasting less than 50,000 km
            Genuine wheel bearings off eBay for just under $400 each from mitsfix. Bit pricey but I just replaced all of mine that had done 340,000km
            50k, more like 15k for non genuine rears...
            MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• Benduro
              • Oct 2007

I have a similar issue with my '16 NX with 99000 on the odd.
              Very noticeable and rhythmic drone when towing in 4th gear at around the 100km/h speed.
              I have 300kms worth of warranty remaining in which to hopefully get it sorted.

Comment

• spot01
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Benduro View Post
                I have a similar issue with my '16 NX with 99000 on the odd.
                Very noticeable and rhythmic drone when towing in 4th gear at around the 100km/h speed.
                I have 300kms worth of warranty remaining in which to hopefully get it sorted.
                As long as you report the issue within the warranty period (& make sure you get written confirmation), it doesn't matter if it takes them until after the warranty ends to fix it.
                Note you also have statutory warranty (under the Australian Consumer Law) if you purchased it from a dealer (new or used), which will cover many items beyond the Manufacturer's Warranty period.
                Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Shaky
                  • Oct 2022
                  • Queensland

Just reading this post now, as I’m also curious as to my rear diff noise.

Did you end up finding a solution to this Diff noise Miner?

Comment

• dbdb
                    • Aug 2008
                    • Adelaide Hills

I had a similar sounding noise developed in my 2014 NW about August last year. Steps I took to resolve it were:
                    • opinion from mechanic where I get tyres and brakes done was that it was diff
                    • replaced diff oil - old oil was clear and green still, no metal on the magnetic plug
                    • swapped wheels with a friend as my tyres are showing signs of feathering on edges of tread blocks - noise remains
                    • had a good play with wheels whilst up changing wheels - passenger side rear wheel has movement on the hub
                    • ordered OEM hubs x 2 from goodstate in queensland
                    • replaced hub - noise is gone
                    Replacing the hub was a challenge, I'd never done it before. getting a 1/2 inch impact driver and extended shaft helped with removing the hub bolts, but getting the hub off the knuckle, even with a slide hammer was a challenge. Had to resort to a cold chisel. I've still got to do the other hub, but at least I now have half an idea what I'm doing.

Note to self, don't trust that mechanic, they had the wheels off the car and didn't pick up the wheel bearing, it was pretty obvious when changing the wheels.
                    14 NW GLX-R automatic, dual battery, Icom 440 UHF, redarc tow pro, Bushskinz bash plates, light bar, Dobinsons suspension, HPD front mount intercooler, ARB bull bar and other stuff.
                    04 NP GLX now gone

Pajero Service Manual link

Comment

• spot01
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by dbdb View Post
                      I had a similar sounding noise developed in my 2014 NW about August last year. Steps I took to resolve it were:
                      • opinion from mechanic where I get tyres and brakes done was that it was diff
                      • replaced diff oil - old oil was clear and green still, no metal on the magnetic plug
                      • swapped wheels with a friend as my tyres are showing signs of feathering on edges of tread blocks - noise remains
                      • had a good play with wheels whilst up changing wheels - passenger side rear wheel has movement on the hub
                      • ordered OEM hubs x 2 from goodstate in queensland
                      • replaced hub - noise is gone
                      Replacing the hub was a challenge, I'd never done it before. getting a 1/2 inch impact driver and extended shaft helped with removing the hub bolts, but getting the hub off the knuckle, even with a slide hammer was a challenge. Had to resort to a cold chisel. I've still got to do the other hub, but at least I now have half an idea what I'm doing.

Note to self, don't trust that mechanic, they had the wheels off the car and didn't pick up the wheel bearing, it was pretty obvious when changing the wheels.
                      You noted movement in the left rear wheel hub.
                      Quite a few people have reported finding the left rear hub nut loose & have had to tighten it to the specified torque (with great effort).
                      Did you try tightening it before removing & replacing (I assume that is the one you have done)?
                      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• dbdb
                        • Aug 2008
                        • Adelaide Hills

Originally posted by spot01 View Post

You noted movement in the left rear wheel hub.
                        Quite a few people have reported finding the left rear hub nut loose & have had to tighten it to the specified torque (with great effort).
                        Did you try tightening it before removing & replacing (I assume that is the one you have done)?
                        I didn't, but the rumble and noise was a good give away. The hub nut was definitely not loose
                        14 NW GLX-R automatic, dual battery, Icom 440 UHF, redarc tow pro, Bushskinz bash plates, light bar, Dobinsons suspension, HPD front mount intercooler, ARB bull bar and other stuff.
                        04 NP GLX now gone

Comment

• Scooby
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2011
                          • Ipswich, Qld.

I didn't, but the rumble and noise was a good give away. The hub nut was definitely not loose
                          How many Kms has it done?
                          Mine is at 300k kms so was thinking about doing all 4 as preventative maintenance.
                          Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• dbdb
                            • Aug 2008
                            • Adelaide Hills

Originally posted by Scooby View Post

How many Kms has it done?
                            Mine is at 300k kms so was thinking about doing all 4 as preventative maintenance.
                            about 190k km. But a group of us went along the Madigan line last year, but to get there we had 3 days of mud slogging, that fine red dirt makes a spectacularly good grinding paste. We had issues with blocked radiators and alternators on the trip, and I suspect that the red slop helped the bearing on its way out.
                            04 NP GLX now gone

Comment

• Scooby
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2011
                              • Ipswich, Qld.

about 190k km. But a group of us went along the Madigan line last year, but to get there we had 3 days of mud slogging, that fine red dirt makes a spectacularly good grinding paste. We had issues with blocked radiators and alternators on the trip, and I suspect that the red slop helped the bearing on its way out.
                              Thanks for the feedback.
                              My NW is a highway runner with the odd dirt road.
                              My old NM did the wheel bearings about 250k kms doing the same work.
                              Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X