• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seivad
    • Jul 2010
    • Sydney

Triton Radio removal

My wife owns a 2005 GLS Triton dual cab diesel ute. (MK perhaps)The radio is dead and we have a replacement. Can anyone guide us through the steps to access the radio, as all our efforts so far seem to point to having to remove the slide out cup holder to access screws which MAY release enough of the dash panels to get at the radio. She is contemplating destroying the cup holder as a last resort. We have moved up from the bottom so far, having removed the console. I would like to minimise destruction as much as possible ...
  • bundyjr
    • Sep 2012
    • brisbane

Originally posted by seivad View Post
    My wife owns a 2005 GLS Triton dual cab diesel ute. (MK perhaps)The radio is dead and we have a replacement. Can anyone guide us through the steps to access the radio, as all our efforts so far seem to point to having to remove the slide out cup holder to access screws which MAY release enough of the dash panels to get at the radio. She is contemplating destroying the cup holder as a last resort. We have moved up from the bottom so far, having removed the console. I would like to minimise destruction as much as possible ...
    is it a stock or after market unit

most radios are held in the by the sides,
    clip in of sorts so munting cup holder wont get it out

Comment

• NFT5
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Canberra

I changed the radio on my MK. But, that was about 15 years ago and I really can't remember how I got the factory radio out. Wasn't difficult though, otherwise I would remember.

If the radio is in a DIN cage then you may need a pair of the release tools. These are just a flat piece of thin metal sheet that slide down each side of the radio and release the clips that hold it in.

Not sure about 2005 but around that time Mitsubishi were using a mechanism that unlocked using wire. Have a look at the face of the radio and check if there are small holes towards the edge on each side. If so, you need to push a piece of wire into each hole to release the clips. On my ML I used 2 pieces of wire from a coat hanger cut and bent in a U shape. Need to release all four together.
      Chris

Comment

• seivad
        • Jul 2010
        • Sydney

The radio is a replacement unit from similar model. At this point we have managed to access the screws behind the cup holder, and have got the radio out. This was difficult. It does appear to be held in by clips. The problem of the security code is now ahead of us. Mitsubishi charge over $100 to deal with this. Just noted the submission from Chris. Will check this out tomorrow. Could be that all the dismantling was unnecessary.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X