• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hookedon4wding
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Mornington Peninsula, VIC

ARB Dual Battery Tray & AUX Battery Size

Hi all, I know there was some confusion recently about the size of battery that would fit in the ABR battery tray.

Some people had been told that the biggest aux battery that would fit was the N50 55ah even though I had the 75ah Exide Extreme fitted in mine (by ARB).

Ross from the forum has recently been in contact with ARB Brighton after PMing me.

Here's what they said to him:

"For Sam's vehicle we cut away the front edge of the tray and brought the OEM battery forward so that it overhung the tray. This allowed us to fit the 75 AHr Exide in the top part of the tray by allowing it to overhang the lower tray.

Without modification, the 55AHr is the biggest that will fit in the Exide Extreme range."

I'm sure a few of you would be happy to hear this. Good thing is that it's all covered by their same warranty as ARB do the modification.

Cheers, Sam.
    2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

Actually, I am fairly sure that even an N50 doesnt fit. It's some oddball size that's slightly shorter than an N50 - a 4D something. I'd be happy if it took an N50 as you can get 75AH or more in that size. Best I could do in the 4Dwhatever was 55AH. In practice it hasn't been a problem for our travels with 24 hours being the longest we have needed before restarting.

Pat
    Last edited by psproule; 27-05-09, 07:08 AM.
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Humbug
      • Dec 2008
      • Melbourne

Hi Sam,
      I have just purchased the ARB dual battery tray and am curious on what was modified to allow you to install the 75Ahr battery. Is it possible for you to post a photo, as I would like to modify it before spending the time installing the tray.
      Thanks, Holger
      Humbug

NS 25th Anniversary Pajero, DID Auto
      Accessories fitted: ARB Delux Bar, TJM Snorkel, ARB Dual Batteries, Milford Cargo Barrier, Fourby Fitout storage system, ARB Onboard Compressor, Goodyear Wrangler MT's with 17 x 7.5 Speedy Grande rims, UHF radio, Bush Skinz bash plates and side steps.

Comment

• Hookedon4wding
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Mornington Peninsula, VIC

To be honest, I'm not sure what they did. I only found out that it was modified after Ross spoke to them last week.

I'll try and get some photos and post them.

Easiest way would be to ring ARB Brighton or PM Ross as he has spoken to them.

Cheers, Sam.
        2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

• Wrex
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Perth

I know I am digging up an old thread which i have had earmarked for when i did my under bonnet setup. Pics attached for future and existing ARB tray owners. The mod just allows the OEM battery to move forward 10-20mm giving enough room for the bigger batteries.

There has been many discussions about batt size and modification to the tray to fit a larger battery. I have done the modification and have fitted an 80Ahr battery. Tommorrow i will fit a Ctek D250s and tiddy up all my wiring.

Some pics for you all.
          Standard brand new ARB tray

Modded tray front lip removed, primmed and painted.

Super charge deep cycle 80Ahr from Auto one $190.00

Batteries in situ

Comment

• psproule
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Googong, NSW

Best thing I did with my ARB tray was to swap the start and Aux batteries over. I now have an Optima Red in the small tray (more CCA than the old N70 too) and a 110 AH deep cycle in the large tray. Fits a treat.

Pat
            2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
            2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• pslambe
              Retired Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • Sydney

ARB Battery tray mods

Originally posted by Wrex View Post
              I know I am digging up an old thread which i have had earmarked for when i did my under bonnet setup. Pics attached for future and existing ARB tray owners. The mod just allows the OEM battery to move forward 10-20mm giving enough room for the bigger batteries.

There has been many discussions about batt size and modification to the tray to fit a larger battery. I have done the modification and have fitted an 80Ahr battery. ...
              Thanks Wrex.

That is just what I wanted to see.
              I haven't been game to take the hacksaw/angle grinder to my ARB tray yet.
              I was contemplating moving the radiator overflow bottle so it fits just under the crossmember at the front of the bonnet. But what I really needed to know is whether the longer battery in the back higher tray would foul the underside of the bonnet.

I have a Supercharge Allrounder MRV48 (the biggest that would fit) in the back tray and it is only 60ah. That lasts about 48 hours running the Engel.
              I have now made a "black box" which I bolt to the floor in the one third back seat position and have a SSB AGM 120ah deep cycle to go in it. But it would be nice to be able to fit it under the bonnet!
              BTW I got the SSB battery from an eBay supplier .. delivered to the door ... and it weighs a ton!
              Silver 08 NS Dieso DiD Auto "Platinum Edition": ARB Bullbar, dual battery and compressor: Airtek snorkel: Milford Cargo Barrier: GME TX3220: 40mm OME lift & OME gas shocks: Engel: BFG's: Under body guards and rear bar from Bushskinz. Triple battery setup with AGM under rear floor charged with Redarc SmartStart DC-DC charger: Home made removeable drawer unit: DIG Options in-dash Infotainment, GPS and reversing camera unit. Long Range Fuel Tank.

Comment

• Filbee
                • Sep 2008
                • Jerrabomberra, NSW (just over the border to Canberra, ACT.) Suburb of Queanbeyan.

Dual Battery

Hi folks,
                I fitted a Piranha (BTMPNM) battery tray to our NS DiD against the firewall (behind the main battery) and was able to install an AllRounder battery. Specs: MRV50; CCA - 650; AH - 80; and RC - 140minutes. I left the OEM's battery in its original position. Cheers Filbee
                (Feb) Pearl White 08 NS VRX (25th Anniv) DiD; Coopper H/T Plus; MM Alloy Bar; tyre lifter kit; Bluetooth; IPF900 spots; ICOM IC440 UHF; ARB Air Compressor (CKMP12) Kit; Waeco 60lt; RV4 Oztent and Ozpod; Rhino roof rack/cross bars. Trek Tech single shelf & 35/65 split cargo barrier; TJM battery rack with 80amphr; DS40 fridge slide; Coilrite bags; Oztent/Rhino Foxwing awning; Honda 2kVA; ChipIt EGT kit and race pipe.
                Towing 2008 20ft Jayco Stirling O/B fitted with TyreDog TPMS.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X