X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ride165
    • Mar 2009

Headunit replacement problems

Hi all, I have a 1986 Pajero SWB 2.5 Turbo. I bought it a few weeks ago and it still had the original split radio/cassette. I decided to upgrade to something slightly more up to date so I bought a set of sony 13cm speakers and a sony CDX-GT 180 headunit.

The problem is I'm on my 3rd headunit from Repco, first two seem not to power up. They tested the first unit and said the unit was ok but the faceplate was dead. The 2nd unit I just swapped no questions asked so it didn't get tested.

I bought the coupling connectors from Repco when I got the headunit. I have tested the ignition live using a multimeter to confirm that the voltage is infact 12v and is coming through on the correct wire. I have attached the black ground cable to the body behind the bulk head. When I use the multimeter on the cables, connecting the black lead to the ground output and the red to ignition live I get a correct reading. I even tested all the other outputs to verify that there was no problems with power hitting the unit on the wrong input.

I'm reluctant to hook up the new 3rd unit as I'm worried it might be something on the vehicle thats causing it to blow the unit out somehow. I checked the fuse on both the previous units and they were always intact.

Any advice on how to approach this testing I can do before hooking it up? I've installed headunits before in old cars and never had this issue it's simply a matter of a 12v input isn't it?

Thanks in advance
    Dave
  • Greg
    • Oct 2007
    • Melbourne

I replaced the head unit in my 2.5 Turbo NG recently and pretty much did what you've done, checked with a multimeter for the correct wires and bolted it in. Make sure your earth is good, i had to test a few points under the dash before i got a good one.
    1989 NG Turbo Diesel, ARB Bullbar, IPF 900XS Lights, 31" Cooper S/T or 33" Simex Centipedes , 2" lift front and 3" back

Comment

• bakerboy
      "valued 3000+ member"
      • May 2008
      • Perth

Originally posted by Greg View Post
      I replaced the head unit in my 2.5 Turbo NG recently and pretty much did what you've done, checked with a multimeter for the correct wires and bolted it in. Make sure your earth is good, i had to test a few points under the dash before i got a good one.
      x2 really the only prob from what u have said, or dont buy sony
      If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• craneoo
        • Dec 2008

mate i had the same problem with mine, and ended up having to wire it manually, using a constant power source (which the existing radio is lacking due to no electronic memory) from the clock which is located just above. and she worked great after this.

Comment

• ride165
          • Mar 2009

Thanks for the help guys, I've been thinking about it and I think I'll add the constant line from the clock. What's the best way to find a 'good' earth? I used the multimeter to find it by putting the red into the ignition live and earthing the black onto some screws that go into the parts of the bodywork behind the dash. Without the earth the meter read nothing so I attached the coupling harness earth to one of those screws.

Comment

• NFPaj_Diver

Make sure your speakers are not wired up as "Ground Earth" Many Pajero's esp Gen1 were. You may need to run new speaker lines.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X