Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-2 Pajero

Generation 4-2 Pajero NT model 2009 - 2011

Old 26-06-14

Default Manifold clean & EGR blank

Hi guys,

I know the EGR thing has been done to death over the past few years with many variations. However with so many threads it's hard to determine if the mods have been a success.

I am about to do a manifold clean and afterward a full EGR blank and throttle plate hole.

I would like to know how members have gone with these two mods (full EGR blank & 12mm throttle plate hole (no chip)? Is the vehicle running well, is it or has it caused any faults over time.

Thanks

Craig
2011 NT RX2, BLack Widow draws & cargo barrier, ARB fridge & slide, HD 2" lift, Bushskinz, Redarc BCDC, dual batteries, solar, Airtec snorkel, GME Tx3540, Smart bar, diff breathers, D697 LT's, Rhino roof basket, Traxrax, Boab 40lt water tank
Old 26-06-14
Valued Member

Hi Craig.

I have a 2007 NS manual and have EGR block and throttle plate drilled. No issues and no errors but I still heed to clean the inlet manifold as have not got around to it

Does the NT need the throttle plate drilled? For some reason i thought it was only the NS that needed it to prevent the error.

Cheers, James
07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates
Old 26-06-14

I haven't done a manifold clean yet but will do so on my next service at 150K which will be this pajero's first manifold clean.

I fitted a full egr block however when my economy worsened by around 0.7 ~ 0.9 lt/100 checking over 4 weeks of similar driving I went for a partial EGR block with a 11.5mm hole (=10% of the pipe x sectional area) on the blocking plate. My plate is fitted to the outlet side of the egr cooler to minimise heat to the plate which is made of 2mm thick 304 stainless steel. I can provide a sketch if you're up to making one.

I can explain why this happens to economy but didn't want the flack of all the EGR block lovers.

My economy improved to where it had been for months and my theory is a partial block is better than none and give sufficient protection when a catch can is fitted..

I also fitted the pro-vent catch can and can confirm after 10,000 klm the outlet to the manifold is absolutely spotless with no oil to be found and the can has captured approximately 60ml of oil in that time that would of headed into the manifold to mix with hot exhaust gases = build up of carbon. Also at high temps a quality synthetic oil with fume off and release less volatiles than a syn/mineral blend oil.

I first tried the "chipit" imitation catch can (pro-vent copy) but still had oil in the outlet so bought the genuine unit which is doing a perfect job even though they both look near identical and measure up within 0.2mm on most tolerances that would mean anything.

Its also interesting that all the current Volvo Penta marine diesels are running pro-vent catch cans on the crank case vapour returns

So my 20c is to fit a partial block and prov-ent can, equals no oil to the manifold, no faults and better economy than a full block. The manifold will stay pretty clean and probably need a clean maybe every 100,000 or so but your better off fuel wise by around $1,300. you decide.

Good luck with your manifold clean

Note that the better economy is only while the manifold is reasonably clean and hasn't been chocked up with coal like some

Last edited by markc; 27-06-14 at 06:26 AM.
Old 27-06-14

Thanks guys,

James, I'm not sure about the NT needing the throttle plate hole. I was under the belief it did require it.

Mark, could the worse economy be due to not having the throttle plate drilled, I.e. Not enough oxygen for good combustion?

Craig
2011 NT RX2, BLack Widow draws & cargo barrier, ARB fridge & slide, HD 2" lift, Bushskinz, Redarc BCDC, dual batteries, solar, Airtec snorkel, GME Tx3540, Smart bar, diff breathers, D697 LT's, Rhino roof basket, Traxrax, Boab 40lt water tank
Old 05-07-14

I have just fitted the EGR module from SPV industries. Took about 5 minutes to do and seems good so far. We towed our 22ft van at 95-110km/h last night from Bairnsdale to Melb with a fuel average of 17 which I thought was good considering that I wasn't being careful. Haven't had the chance to see what driving without the van does yet. Only cost $50 inc delivery. Seemed easier than blanking plates etc. No codes. Don't know what else to look for. It does seem to have slightly better around town fuel average. Literally cut a wire, fitted two bullet terminals and then cut another to activate it. Taped it back into the loom and I was done. Worth a look.
Old 06-07-14
Valued Member

I have just cleaned the manifold on my NT during the 180k service, jeez that was fun.
I also fitted the SPV EGR module while I was at it. Pretty easy to install, took all of 5 mins and the Ultragauge confirms the EGR is closed during the limited testing I've performed.
Previously I had an EGR blanking plate from chip it and didn't have a problem or need to drill the throttle plate...
2009 NT GLS DiD 5spd - ARB Deluxe bar, Tigerz11 12,000lbs Winch, Airtec Snorkel, ARB Front Locker, TJM Rear Locker, Hankook AT-M 265/70/17, Bilsteins, Lovells HD 50mm, Bushskinz Intercooler, Sump, Trans & Transfer Case Guards, Brown Davis long range tank, Pioneer Head Unit, ARB Dual Battery Tray, Redarc SBI12, GME TX3440, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Stebel alarm & car horns, Rhino Pioneer Platform rack, DIY (Rear Shelf, Sliders, Fridge Slide), Ultragauge, 3" Exhaust
Old 06-07-14
Valued Member

I fitted the SPV mod as stated and a 100% 3 mm blank just to be sure, no fault codes ever logged, no crap in manifold mid 8's not towing 15 towing
I'm pleased
The vehicle is chipped
2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana
Old 06-07-14

Where can I get this SPV EGR from? & also does that mean I don't have to put a blank in?
Still trying to work out this "egr blank thing"
Cheers Bryan
2008 nt gls 3.2 smartbar, runva ewx9500 winch, airtech snorkel, ironman / ome combo lift, smartbar, 75watt hid's, lightbar, dual battery, rear worklight, bashplates, catch can 65ltr waeco, 18ltr engel, ors draws/fridge slide, 58ltr lra aux tank ,blah blah blah!
Old 06-07-14
Valued Member

Bryan send an email to tony@spvindustries.com and they should be able to set you up with an order. No need for a blanking plate
2009 NT GLS DiD 5spd - ARB Deluxe bar, Tigerz11 12,000lbs Winch, Airtec Snorkel, ARB Front Locker, TJM Rear Locker, Hankook AT-M 265/70/17, Bilsteins, Lovells HD 50mm, Bushskinz Intercooler, Sump, Trans & Transfer Case Guards, Brown Davis long range tank, Pioneer Head Unit, ARB Dual Battery Tray, Redarc SBI12, GME TX3440, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Stebel alarm & car horns, Rhino Pioneer Platform rack, DIY (Rear Shelf, Sliders, Fridge Slide), Ultragauge, 3" Exhaust
Old 06-07-14

Thanks Eman,
Don't know if you remember me, I bought the Thule roof racks from you.
Cheers Bryan
2008 nt gls 3.2 smartbar, runva ewx9500 winch, airtech snorkel, ironman / ome combo lift, smartbar, 75watt hid's, lightbar, dual battery, rear worklight, bashplates, catch can 65ltr waeco, 18ltr engel, ors draws/fridge slide, 58ltr lra aux tank ,blah blah blah!