• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AGOR
    • May 2009
    • Canberra

Spotlight trigger

Hi All,

I have done a bit of searching but can't find a clear answer on where to patch in the trigger wire for a spotlight loom (on a NS)...

Wiring up the lights, no probs. Getting the switch wires through the firewall, no probs. Power and earthing, no probs.

But I have not been able to specifically learn where the trigger wire (from the relay) connects to the high beam circuit.

Can I wire it into the positive of one of the high beam lights? (ie just access the red wire below where the red/black wires feed into the back of the high beam bulb?)

Any advice greatly appreciated.
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

Originally posted by AGOR View Post
    Can I wire it into the positive of one of the high beam lights? (ie just access the red wire below where the red/black wires feed into the back of the high beam bulb?)
    Yes, you can.
    Mitsubishi seem to have done us all a favour by using positive switching lights which makes a spotlight install very simple.
    Don't cut the high beam wire but strip some of the insulation off of it, a few inches back from the plug. You can do this very carefully with a knife / blade or you can try and melt a section of insulation away. Then solder your trigger wire on and neatly wrap the join up in tape to protect it and stop anything being able to short out.
    On my spotlight install, I actually installed a 3A fuse just after the point where I tapped into the High beam wire, just for a little added protection. Should something go wrong with the relay, only this 3A fuse will blow, not the fuse for the high beams themselves.
    Cheers, Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• AGOR
      • May 2009
      • Canberra

Beauty, thanks.

Off to make it happen on this sunny Sunday arvo!

Comment

• Timbo72
        • Apr 2013
        • Frankston

Hi,
        I have bought a pair of 150mm H9 extension leads off ebay ($3 delivered!)
        from Hong Kong that i spliced a trigger from. There wasnt much wire
        to work with on the high beam plug otherwise. So this means i just unplug the high beam light and insert my extension lead that i have already spliced into.
        What type of switch do people normally use, i want it be fairly stock looking, but the factory switches are non latching i think.
        Thanks
        tim

Comment

• GHendo
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Northern NSW

As you hardly ever use this switch I have mine right down on the very bottom of the dash near the driver's door where it is hadly noticeable. I used just a normal silver toggle switch and it can't really be seen unless you have a good look - it is sort of right underneath, but easily accessible with your hand if you need to turn it off/on.

Cheers

Geoff
          03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• AGOR
            • May 2009
            • Canberra

Mine came with the wiring loom. An unobtrusive black thing that I ran through the grommet in the firewall in the passenger foot well then poked it out of the glove box and some double sided tape keeps it in place in a blank space near the seat warmer switches.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X