• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • achjimmy
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2009
    • Blue Mtns

Swapped the EFS/ Kings springs for Lovell?s

My front EFS/Kings coils were sagging and I had lost 25-30mm of lift! They had dropped about 10-15mm before the winch and second battery went in. Also one side was 5-10mm lower than the other. After discussion with Kieron at Bushskinz and a drive of Eman?s Pajero around the Anaconda parking lot (thanks guys) I found that even though the Lovell?s are a heavier spring than the kings it didn?t seem to jolt as much as the EFS /Kings did on speed humps etc. I always put this down to the Bilstein being higher gas pressure, but was wrong.

The ride with the HD Lovell fronts is excellent, far better than the king/EFS and the car is sitting level again, there is a little less dive under breaks and the ride is smoother, very happy.

BTW EFS were really good and after measuring the car had no issues offering a replacement or credit. Just as the EFS man said he can?t assure me they won?t sag again, and Kings offered a taller spring of the same rate but after sampling the Lovell?s they are just superior on the Pajero IMO.

I keep referring to EFS /Kings as Kings make the springs for EFS on the Pajeros, they are the identical product. I believe kings also make the OME springs as well, but I do not know if these are the same or made to ARB?s specs. I can share the specs of the kings if anybody wants to check. Always had a good run with King Springs before, maybe just got a bad set.
    Attached Files
    Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
    MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
    99 Rodeo TD dual cab.
  • HSV Rangie
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Hastings

Good to hear al sorted

love the lovels Bil combo.

Michael.
    2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

• onallfour
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2010
      • Camden, Sydney

Jim
      which position on the strut did you put the spring perch on, upper or lower as i found with winch, batteries the higher was better for me
      Cool Silver 09 VRX, tinted glass all around, 2 inch HD lovells, bilsteins, poly airbags, Airtek snorkel, dual battery, ARB deluxe winch bar, Lightforce 240's, Warn winch, Bushskinz full bash plates, UHF, scangauge, Bogaard turbo timer, towbar, 65 ltr brown davis fuel tank, on board ARB compressor + outlets, 50A anderson on towbar, rear diff lock-traction control modification, diff breathers, in-dash battery voltmeters, EGR blank, hacked navman, Cooper AT3's, Stebel horns.

Comment

• achjimmy
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2009
        • Blue Mtns

Originally posted by onallfour View Post
        Jim
        which position on the strut did you put the spring perch on, upper or lower as i found with winch, batteries the higher was better for me
        Pretty sure left it as it was on the lower setting. i still have the Kings rear and am pretty happy with the way its sitting now.
        Attached Files
        Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
        99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

Nice one Jim. Hopefully these do the job.

Your experience is the reason I chose the lovells route some time ago. There has been a fair share of similar stories to yours on the other brands over the years on this forum. There has been very little negativity on the lovells (but there have been reported issues).

But, in keeping this post in balance, There are also a lot out there in this forum with Kings/EFS/OME etc that are more than happy with them.

So I will not go out on a limb and suggest one is better than the other. To each their own, caveot emptor, do your research first.

Shane.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• achjimmy
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2009
            • Blue Mtns

Certainly agree Shane. I have never really used lovells as I always considered them the "firmer" of the spring brands. I have always had a good run with kings and had they not sagged i would still have them in, the "jolting" was not enough to cause me real concern but the lovells ride is so much nicer so far. plan on have a few outings over the next couple of weeks so will be interesting to see how they compare on the dirt.
            Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
            99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• onallfour
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2010
              • Camden, Sydney

very nice, looks the goods Jim. Your ride should be better over a bit of time also as they settle too.
              Cool Silver 09 VRX, tinted glass all around, 2 inch HD lovells, bilsteins, poly airbags, Airtek snorkel, dual battery, ARB deluxe winch bar, Lightforce 240's, Warn winch, Bushskinz full bash plates, UHF, scangauge, Bogaard turbo timer, towbar, 65 ltr brown davis fuel tank, on board ARB compressor + outlets, 50A anderson on towbar, rear diff lock-traction control modification, diff breathers, in-dash battery voltmeters, EGR blank, hacked navman, Cooper AT3's, Stebel horns.

Comment

• achjimmy
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2009
                • Blue Mtns

Originally posted by onallfour View Post
                very nice, looks the goods Jim. Your ride should be better over a bit of time also as they settle too.
                Thanks mate, heading out to the lost city and blackfellows tomorrow to help bed them
                in. ;-)
                Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
                99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• MattyDucati
                  • Aug 2008

I've got lovell springs front and rear and they are sagging. The have dropped around 20mm in the front and I dont have a winch, The springs are hd springs too.

Comment

• Silver Streak
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2010
                    • Adelaide. South Aust.

Can't believe you've changed your suspension Jim, as you always raved how good the EFS setup was. Certainly sagged heaps though. I'm pretty sure my OEM suspension hasn't sagged at all, better give it another measure. Although, my Paj has an easy life, mainly on the tar.
                    But one thing for sure about the original suspension that annoys, is the diving under brakes and the harsh ride over those bloody speed humps, especially at the rear. It's a real THUMP, once the rear tyres pass over the s/hump. So, you reckon it's heaps better even with the HD springs?
                    Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

2010 NT (Nov) Platinum Pajero, DiD auto, Iron Bark.
                    Factory Tow-bar, Colour coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Hankook Dynopro RT03 MT Tyres, 265/R70x17, Bilstein/Lovell HD 2" lift kit, Bushskinz underbody protection plates, Navar Blue 225's, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Tinted Pajero Bonnet Protector, Uniden UH7750NB UHF-CB, Rhino Rack Sunseeker ll Awning (2.5m x 2m), Full Tint + UV film on privacy glass, Dash Mat, Techniice 60ltr Fridge/Freezer.

Comment

• 2010banditsa
                      • Jan 2012
                      • adelaide

ive got hd front and rear and if i didnt tow, i would have wondered if i should have gone nd in the rear (hd front and rear with poly bar and winch up front)

Comment

• Kelly
                        • Sep 2009
                        • South Australia

What is now the clearance

Jim,
                        Thanks for the sharing the thread, i like the look of your vehicle height and clearance.
                        I have had trouble getting clearance and getting a ride that works. I now am on my 3rd suspension set up and have 500kg constant ARB 50mm lift spring set up with Airbags but it just doesnt work.
                        We do carry a load as our vehicle is set up for touring , all rear seats removed we have to Engel fridges portable solar panels a Drifta kitchen set of drawers and 6 large tubs of food and drinks, plus the 5th seat removed and all recovery gear in here. A Long range aftermarket fuel tank and a Boab 60litre floor well water tank, plus to 100 amp hour batterries in the rear. We also carry a tinnie on top along with 30sec ox tent and swags.

But as soon as i conect our Tvan the back end drops, and if i put our 21ft caravan on it goes down further, and it just looks like we are dragging the arse on the ground.

Jim on your ride now as per the photos what is the clearance from the bottom of the rim to the centre of the wheel arch, and if you load it or do you tow anything does it drop and if so by how much?

I know i am pushing the limits and i am now thinking as good as the Pajero is , it may not be the vehicle we need to carry all the gear we use, but i am interested to hear the height issue.

Regards Kelly.

Comment

• Paj People 2009
                          Valued Member
                          • Oct 2009
                          • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Hi Kelly,

Wow, that sounds too much weight for the Pajero. It shouldn't be dropping that low and you may be over the allowed payload for the Paj. Your van's ball weight is adding to the problem, even with the HR bars!

We have a 20 foot van (ATM 2500kg) and 200kg constant OME springs and airbags. We drop 2cm when the van is hitched up, which the HR bars equal up quite easlity, with about 6 free links!

We have a Black Widow sorage unit, 60 litres of water, a fridge and a few other bits. No batteries in the rear.

I think you might need another vehicle with all that weight, possible with an ATM updgrade. Sorry to say the Paj is't cutting it for so much rear weight there! You might have legal issues too, if you are over the allowed payload.

Hope it works out for you,
                          Sally
                          SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• Kelly
                            • Sep 2009
                            • South Australia

Hi Sally,

Thanks for the reply to the thread.
                            Yes i know what you are saying, i am seriously thinking i may have to get another vehicle. Trouble is the Pajero has had a ton a work done on it, you name it it has it. We toured Oz for 15months with the Van & Tinnie on top mostly "Bitumen Bill" other than a few dirt roads here and there ie the Darling River run, Tanami. Although without the Van we did do the Kimberleys the OTL and the Simpson. We now have bought a Tvan as well to get amongst it and do some serious 4x4 tracks with the Tvan and Tinnie, we almost made it out to Walcot inlet this year but after about the 10th winch recovery and the water crossings getting close to a mtr it was time to turn around and wait another year. As good as the Paj is i am begining to think its time to return it as a shopping car for the black top, remove all the serioius 4x4 stuff and go over to the Dark Side and buy myself a Toyota.
                            I was just interested as to how high a lift it is .
                            Regards Kelly.

Comment

• HSV Rangie
                              Valued Member
                              • Feb 2010
                              • Hastings

wil the yota carry more weight ???

not so sure about that.

Michael.
                              2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X