• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeoCal
    • Apr 2019
    • GEELONG

Tyre size in relation to 2" lift

Hey all,
    I have searched high and low, across here and Facebook groups and are now even more confused than when I started.
    What I do know is, I don't know as much about tyre sizes as I thought I knew.

Question:
    If I have a 2" lift, can I install a 275/65/18 tyre legally in Victoria?
    Or must I now stay with the 265/60/18?

From all the searching on forums, it appears the opinion is that you have to stay under 50mm both suspension and tyre lift in Victoria.
    However, from the Vicroads website:

It reads as 50mm suspension + 25mm tyre.
    See attachment.
    Thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GeoCal; 12-09-19, 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi GeoCal,

Since your NX has ESC fitted you cannot use the 50mm + 25mm limit, see clause 13.7 of the link you attached.
    It refers you back to VSB14 NCOP 11 Section 2.6.

Here is a thread about VSB 14;

Short answer is on a Gen 4 Pajero you can raise the front suspension by 35mm to 40mm and the rear suspension by 40mm to 45mm but that assumes the replacement struts and shockers are not shorter than the factory units.
    Tyre wise standard 265/60R18 is 776mm in diameter, the next size tyre up is a 265/65R18 which is 803mm in diameter so that is a 26.5mm increase in tyre diameter, which results in a 13mm increase in ride height. This leaves you with 36.5mm for a suspension lift to remain legal. I have not heard of a Pajero owner being refused a roadworthy based on the above suspension lift and one tyre size increase.
    The 265/65R18 is a common tyre up size that has little side effect. Going larger means, loss of fuel economy because the engine has to work harder and the torque convertor will be unlocked more often, this also means higher ATF temps which is not a good thing.

Going larger again means the removal of the front mudflaps which is against the ADR's and is greater than allowed under VSB 14, so the vehicle becomes illegally modified.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ozzz
      • May 2019
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      Hi GeoCal,

Short answer is on a Gen 4 Pajero you can raise the front suspension by 35mm to 40mm and the rear suspension by 40mm to 45mm but that assumes the replacement struts and shockers are not shorter than the factory units.
      Tyre wise standard 265/60R18 is 776mm in diameter, the next size tyre up is a 265/65R18 which is 803mm in diameter so that is a 26.5mm increase in tyre diameter, which results in a 13mm increase in ride height. This leaves you with 36.5mm for a suspension lift to remain legal. I have not heard of a Pajero owner being refused a roadworthy based on the above suspension lift and one tyre size increase.
      The 265/65R18 is a common tyre up size that has little side effect. Going larger means, loss of fuel economy because the engine has to work harder and the torque convertor will be unlocked more often, this also means higher ATF temps which is not a good thing.

Going larger again means the removal of the front mudflaps which is against the ADR's and is greater than allowed under VSB 14, so the vehicle becomes illegally modified.

OJ.
      Hi OJ , I mainly use my paj for fishing and camping. if I decide to lift 2 inch and make decisions between 50mm suspension and suspension&one upper size tyre together, which one is better for me? I am leaning towards the suspension&tyre combo due to less pressure on CV but I could be wrong. Thanks in advance.
      My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Ozzz View Post
        Hi OJ , I mainly use my paj for fishing and camping. if I decide to lift 2 inch and make decisions between 50mm suspension and suspension&one upper size tyre together, which one is better for me? I am leaning towards the suspension&tyre combo due to less pressure on CV but I could be wrong. Thanks in advance.
        I think you're on the right track.

Most "2 inch" suspension lifts seem to end up around 30 - 40mm above "factory" ride heights. I doubt you'll have trouble if you do both. If you do the suspension lift first, wait for it to "settle" and measure the result I think you'll find you still have room for a legal tyre size increase.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Ozzz
          • May 2019
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

Most "2 inch" suspension lifts seem to end up around 30 - 40mm above "factory" ride heights. I doubt you'll have trouble if you do both. If you do the suspension lift first, wait for it to "settle" and measure the result I think you'll find you still have room for a legal tyre size increase.

Thanks for your advice. I will get suspension first and wait for the stock tyres worn out
          My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​

Comment

• GeoCal
            • Apr 2019
            • GEELONG

Thanks OJ and NJ,
            I have read over so many of your posts, Your advice is appriciated.
            I think I am in the same basket as OZZZ, Will do the suspension first, and then see how much wiggle room there is left after that.

Comment

• liyunzhnen001
              • Nov 2018
              • WA

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

Hi,mate, what would be the ramifications of 2 inch lift + 1 size up tyres for insurance claim?

Will the companies reject the claims?

Thank you.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by liyunzhnen001 View Post
                Hi,mate, what would be the ramifications of 2 inch lift + 1 size up tyres for insurance claim?

Will the companies reject the claims?

Thank you.
                Insurance companies are always looking for a way out of a claim but if your modifications are legal and you advise the insurance company of the modification when you take the policy out, then you should be fine. Some insurance companies will not insure modified vehicles and others seem to want to charge extra, so best shop around and be honest with them.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X