• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLOKE66
    • May 2015
    • Mid North Coast

Read this before you replace the EGR motor

Hi
    I installed the resistor mod and EGR plate not long after I bought the car. I also removed and cleaned the inlet manifold at the same time. Never had a problem for several years.
    Then I started getting and EGR error code occasionally....which after a while started happening every time I drove the car.
    I was under the impression that the EGR motor would never operate with the resistor mod.
    This is not so as the ECU seems to try and exercise the EGR valve at different times....I think this could happen when you start the car or not long after you start driving.
    So I thought that I would have to replace the EGR motor.
    So I removed the EGR motor to have a closer look at it as I had nothing to lose.
    Fiddling with the shaft that comes out of the motor I could see it had notches in it which would engage with the stepper motor. So I moved the shaft up and down manually and it felt there was a bit of resistance to the shaft movement. Then I pulled on the shaft a bit too much and it came right out of the motor.
    I thought well I've stuffed it now.
    I noticed the shaft had very old grease on it that had thickened up a fair bit.
    I tried to reinstall the shaft and it went straight back in and felt like it was located ok.
    I then decided to spray some high quality lubricant into the EGR motor and started working the shaft up and down...it started to feel smoother in it's operation...so I did this several times.
    I reinstalled the EGR motor and have not had an error code for several months.
    I also checked the MAP sensor hose connection on the inlet manifold. This was all ok and not blocked. But I noticed that the MAP vacuum hose connections where not that tight even though they had the small cable clamps on them. The only vacuum hose I had was the same internal diameter but a larger external diameter(thicker wall on the hose) so I replaced the two sections of vacuum hose and the small clamps now held the hose better.
    Now at idle the MAP sensor reading on my Engine Data Scan is double what it used to be....from around 50 to 100.
    Just replaced the SCV with a MM part I got on ebay for about $95 as the car had a bit of a rough idle and the car is running excellent.....great fuel economy...very smooth running...starts and stops immediately...idle is smooth.
    I'm easily getting 10 litres/100klm with a mix of town and highway driving.
    Cheers
  • martnH
    • Nov 2017
    • AU

I can't see there would be any improvement since, you have installed the egr blank pate....

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

• BLOKE66
      • May 2015
      • Mid North Coast

Strange answer!!
      The improvement is I'm not getting any EGR error codes any more and at this stage I don't have to buy a new EGR motor as that is what I thought I would have to do to stop the error codes. And with the MAP sensor hoses sorted and the new SCV the car is running great....which is a definite improvement over where I was with the car.
      Cheers

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by BLOKE66 View Post
        Strange answer!!
        The joy of the internet!

You had a problem, and you posted an explanation of the steps you took and results you obtained in addressing the problem. This is a classic example of why forums such as this exist - for people to share the problems they have encountered, the steps they took, and the outcomes (good or bad), so others can benefit from your experience.

Others following in your footsteps can decide for themselves whether or not to attempt to implement the fix that worked for you. If some choose to decide that what you have experienced cannot be right? You can only do so much to help others.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• martnH
          • Nov 2017
          • AU

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          The joy of the internet!

You had a problem, and you posted an explanation of the steps you took and results you obtained in addressing the problem. This is a classic example of why forums such as this exist - for people to share the problems they have encountered, the steps they took, and the outcomes (good or bad), so others can benefit from your experience.

Others following in your footsteps can decide for themselves whether or not to attempt to implement the fix that worked for you. If some choose to decide that what you have experienced cannot be right? You can only do so much to help others.
          Calm down

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by martnH View Post
            Calm down

Thanks for your advice.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X