• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mattnkylie
    • Sep 2012
    • moruya

missing under load

i have a nl 97 3.5 sohc and lately when undr a bit of load it is starting to miss a fair bit i have spoken to a mechanic and he said spark plug leads? it doesnt do it all the time bit it is happening more and more, just want some more input, also when it is sitting there on idle it sounds like it is running of 5 cyl it doesnt run rough just sounds like it is poping a bit dont know if that has something to do with it as well i not long done the fuel filter and i service it ALOT because it burns a fair bit of oil
  • t-rex1995
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2011
    • Imbil Via Gympie QLD

the best way i find out is to get a water sprayer bottle and spray both ends of your plug leads best to do it in night time so you can see the arcing the with the water on it it will start to misfire
    Formely 93 NH Pajero LWB, 3.0L V6 NOW OWN 2004 GU Patrol Wagon T/Diesel 3LT
    WITH 4'' TOUGHDOG SUSPENSION, FULL 3'' TBE, EGT & BOOST GAUGE 33'' MUDDIES, 21'' LED LIGHT BAR

Comment

• mattnkylie
      • Sep 2012
      • moruya

Originally posted by t-rex1995 View Post
      the best way i find out is to get a water sprayer bottle and spray both ends of your plug leads best to do it in night time so you can see the arcing the with the water on it it will start to misfire

so basicly i just wet the leads and if it starts to missfire then i know it is the leads?

Comment

• Bundyk
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2012
        • North Nowra

Mine did a similar thing a little while ago, leads and plugs changed, no more issues. Mine didnt play up while at idle though. In my case the plugs were shagged, and the leads were replaced for stamps. You more than likely have a dodgy lead, it probably has too much resistance, which is creating the miss at idle, as well as under load.

My thoughts.
        Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• geopaj
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Adelaide

I had a similar problem with my NL. Solved with plugs and leads.

See this thread...
          Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• t-rex1995
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2011
            • Imbil Via Gympie QLD

thats right mate once wet abit youl'll see it arcing out across somewhere
            WITH 4'' TOUGHDOG SUSPENSION, FULL 3'' TBE, EGT & BOOST GAUGE 33'' MUDDIES, 21'' LED LIGHT BAR

Comment

• my.paj
              • Dec 2010
              • Tullamarine

How much oil is it burning whats a "fair bit"
              Rick
              Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
              New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• t-rex1995
                Valued Member
                • Oct 2011
                • Imbil Via Gympie QLD

LMAO say what man what oil burning LOL this post bout missing under load

Comment

• my.paj
                  • Dec 2010
                  • Tullamarine

Originally posted by t-rex1995 View Post
                  LMAO say what man what oil burning LOL this post bout missing under load
                  Check the OP.
                  Rick
                  Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                  New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• oldbitz
                    • Nov 2012
                    • Gilgandra

As others have suggested replace the plugs and leads,if it is popping I would be doing a compression test, as for the using a lot of oil, mine does the same so I recently switched to Nulon 40w70, until I can be bothered doing a rebuild, this has tamed the hungry beast for now.
                    93 NJ Exceed 99 MK Triton dual cab
                    "So many tracks and too little money"

Rob

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2012
                      • Maitland, NSW

Using oil and a slight miss could be uneven cyl compression, plug tube and valve stem seals just to name a few.
                      I would have the plugs and leads replaced along with plug tube and cam cover seals, while plugs are getting done do a compression test for peace of mind.
                      97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                      97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• mattnkylie
                        • Sep 2012
                        • moruya

thanks everyone, just to be clear the paj blew a head gasket last year in early june i done the heads and a full vrs kit and plugs so i hope it is not the plugs as they are not that cheap, i didnt do the valve stem seals so that is prolly why i am burning the oil and having a faulty lead makes sense but im just thinking if the valve seals are shagged and i know they are because after a while on idle if i hit the throttle i get the cloud of blue smoke and it alwasy smells like it is burning a bit of oil, whould this make it run rough?

Comment

• Bundyk
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2012
                          • North Nowra

Valve stem seals will explain the oil, doubt it would be enough to make it idle and run rough, I would think there would need to be a heap of oil getting into a cylinder or two to cause that. Swap the leads if the plugs are recent, fairly safe bet thats the issue.
                          Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• mattnkylie
                            • Sep 2012
                            • moruya

just been givin the go ahead from SWMBO i get to open my wallet and spend a bit of money on the paj........................hmmmmm just checked the wallet and relized she went xmas shopping on the weekend ohh well i will just settle for plugs and leads this week i think, only thing is the vrs kit i got the intake vally gasket is not longer that thin tin one so i will have to get another gasket to replace that

Comment

• Bundyk
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2012
                              • North Nowra

Originally posted by mattnkylie View Post
                              ..... just checked the wallet and relized she went xmas shopping on the weekend ....
                              Thats why you have been authorized to spend money, theres bugger all left!

I feel your pain!
                              Cheers, Bundy.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X