Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 2 Days Ago

Default Engine missing under load NP 3.8 issue

Hi all,

My NP 3.8 is missing and lacks power under load (while driving up a slight hill or on a flat) and am unsure of what is causing this issue.

I've replaced some vacuum lines which were cracked, cleaned the MAF and the throttle body. Drained the fuel as it had been sitting for a while. Put in new fuel and a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank. Changed all 3 coils and installed new Irridium spark plugs. Put in a new fuel pump and filter.

Next, to change the leads on the weekend. I can smell fuel when it's idling but not too bad and no sign of leaks. No significant smoke from the exhaust. Idle is very smooth and when in park, there are no issues when revving it up.

I'm thinking of replacing the injectors but they are over $300 for a set of 6. I'm out of ideas and have been searching online but couldn't find anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Cheers!
Old 2 Days Ago

Default Engine missing under load

Hi
Possibly spark plug or leads. Could be water in around plugs - happened to me after a pressure wash.
Dan
Old 2 Days Ago
Valued Member

I had the injectors on my wife's Magna professionally cleaned by a local mechanic. The difference was staggering. Totally different car after the cleaning.

Also, when you remove the spark plugs, by default you disturb the HT leads. Hopefully when you replace them, all will be good.
Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAUMULLER View Post
Hi
Possibly spark plug or leads. Could be water in around plugs - happened to me after a pressure wash.
Dan
Hi Dan,

New plugs were installed, leads are fairly new but will replace them anyway. The motor hasn't been washed and is dry.

Cheers!
Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by erad View Post
I had the injectors on my wife's Magna professionally cleaned by a local mechanic. The difference was staggering. Totally different car after the cleaning.

Also, when you remove the spark plugs, by default you disturb the HT leads. Hopefully when you replace them, all will be good.
Erad,
I decided to buy new injectors rather than have them serviced as the cost is nearly the same here. Will put new leads in as well since the manifold is off.
Cheers!
Old 1 Day Ago

Most places should charge between 25-35 per injector to clean once removed from car
Old 1 Day Ago
Valued Member

Emeraude:
If you still have problems after replacing the injectors, look at the Oxygen sensor in the exhaust. If that is screwy, you may be getting mixtures which are too lean and that can cause misfiring.