Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 1 Week Ago

Default DiD to go into NP - maintenance?

G’day DiD buffs,

What maintenance would you recommend for a DiD before it goes into the engine bay?

I would like to do a full timing kit after seeing what a skipped timing chain looks like (broken cam, smashed cam retainer blocks), but what else is recommended?

I’m wondering if it’s worth doing the rear main seal since it’ll be easy to access.

I might look into cleaning the intake manifold since I have a gasket here that’s for our daily.

Any issues with fitting an NM setup to an NP? The intake manifold looks different as does the routing of the EGR gear. But the governor plugs look to be the same - and that to me is where the main differences could be.

Any advice welcome!

Cheers

Bennie
2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, no lift (yet), 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Last edited by El_Freddo; 1 Week Ago at 07:34 PM. Reason: Spelling and autocorrect mistakes sorted
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Rear main seal for sure. Could potentially save a lot of work down the track. Personally I would do any front seals as well while it's out. Possibly sump gasket if you have it on a stand and have any doubts, though I've noticed Japanese engines of this era all seem to use sealant rather than gasket, and these don't seem to leak any where near as much as the old school gaskets.

I've no experience with that particular engine, but it's what I did whenever an engine is out
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

New oil pressure switch. They are known to leak and are a bastard to do with engine in place.
Top timing chain guide if itís not in your timing kit.
Definitely do the intake manifold clean while itís out.
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanks peeps!

Oil pressure switch is now on the list.

Sounds like itís an easy list to sort out with the engine out of the vehicle.

I donít know that Iíd be getting this on an engine stand. Itís definitely THE heaviest engine Iíve dealt with before!

Iíll drop the sump to do the timing chain, so thatíll cop a new ďwhatever type is there now sealĒ.

Does anyone know if thereís a difference between the NM and NP intake manifold? Asking as the intake manifold on this diesel is one piece with a pendulum like chamber with individual runners to the cylinder head. Where as our NP has a two piece ďUĒ on its side shaped intake setup. Small differences but it should be all good. Performance product maybe??

Cheers

Bennie
2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, no lift (yet), 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe
Old 1 Week Ago

Question about the timing gear.

I’m looking at the parts from partsouq.

Those that have done the timing gear overhaul, do you swap the cam sprockets and the crank sprocket?

Asking as the crank sprocket is integrated into the timing gear for the governor and PS pump - at ~$US150 it adds to the total cost dramatically. Then it means the gears aren’t matched in wear rate but the sprockets would be - unless I swapped all of them too, but I don’t know what would murder me first, my wallet or my wife!

Is just changing the timing chain and the tensioner/guide ok or should I match the sprockets up top and bottom to the new chain?

Cheers for any advice on this!

Bennie

PS - given that both engines I intend to do this on are in perfect working order, I could just do the tensioner guide and other guides, as this is what ultimately killed the engine in the second Pajero we picked up for parts (but now looks like it’ll be my daily and off-roader).

Last edited by El_Freddo; 1 Week Ago at 07:42 PM. Reason: PS...
Old 1 Day Ago

Since thereís no input from ppl in ďthe knowĒ, Iíve decided to only replace the tensioners and guides.

Now to wait to get parts in... bloody Rona!

Cheers

Bennie