Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 4 Days Ago
Roshan C Roshan C is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Suriname
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
I think it's more that on one arm the locknut is on the same side of the arm as the spring, on the other arm the nut is on the far side.

I've never noticed a locknut between arm & spring before. I'd like to know why it's like that. Odd design, or is that somebody's "compensation" for something else being not right?

Edit: valve seat could be recessing into the cylinder head, or valve could be burning away?
I did put the lock nut on the underside to hold onto all screw threads as there wasn't enough left at the top. To be honest it felt like i could easily rip out the thread on most of them when locked from the top.
Ps. I did rotate the picture in my gallery before uploading, tried a couple times and gave up on it. Haven't really figured out yet how all forum features work.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 4 Days Ago
Roshan C Roshan C is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Suriname
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
I think it's more that on one arm the locknut is on the same side of the arm as the spring, on the other arm the nut is on the far side.

I've never noticed a locknut between arm & spring before. I'd like to know why it's like that. Odd design, or is that somebody's "compensation" for something else being not right?

Edit: valve seat could be recessing into the cylinder head, or valve could be burning away?
Spoke to my mechanic a couple hours ago and he suggested the valve seat burning away. Welp, guess we'll have to pull the head.

I really really hope the costs don't go through the roof as the government over here has completely screwed the economy.

Last edited by Roshan C; 4 Days Ago at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 4 Days Ago
Roshan C Roshan C is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Suriname
Posts: 20
Default

Here are some more pictures.
Edit: these were taken in the right orientation, don't know why they got rotated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200324_073841.jpg (151.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20200324_073524.jpg (129.2 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 4 Days Ago
erad erad is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cooma NSW
Posts: 2,880
Default

It is obvious that the valve is not seating properly. You would have no compression in that cylinder for a start. I doubt that it is a burnt valve because it would be sitting higher in the rocker cover area. It is more like a bent valve stem which is not allowing the valve to come up completely. Whatever it is, sadly the head has to come off to find and fix the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 4 Days Ago
Roshan C Roshan C is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Suriname
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erad View Post
It is obvious that the valve is not seating properly. You would have no compression in that cylinder for a start. I doubt that it is a burnt valve because it would be sitting higher in the rocker cover area. It is more like a bent valve stem which is not allowing the valve to come up completely. Whatever it is, sadly the head has to come off to find and fix the problem.
I think you're looking at the wrong valve. The valve causing problems has come up into the rocker cover area, it's valve spring is no longer under tension, i can spin it by hand while that's impossible to do on the other 7 valve springs.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 3 Days Ago
erad erad is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cooma NSW
Posts: 2,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan C View Post
I think you're looking at the wrong valve. The valve causing problems has come up into the rocker cover area, it's valve spring is no longer under tension, i can spin it by hand while that's impossible to do on the other 7 valve springs.
I have never seen a tappet adjustment like that before. It looks as if someone has installed a whole set of valves which are too short in the valve stems for the application and the dud #4 exhaust valve is the only one which is "normal'. The head of the valve stem is in the normal position, so I don't think it is the collet letting go, but if you can spin the valve by hand, there is no tension left in the valve spring. Head has to come off.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 3 Days Ago
tomwithannl's Avatar
tomwithannl tomwithannl is offline
Valued Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maria Coast Tasmania.
Posts: 550
Default

You will probably find it is loose valve seats in the head allowing them to hammer and rotate and then receding into the softer head. I also agree with erad's comment that the valves (the ones with the adjusting screws on the underside) have probably been replaced with incorrect length ones, too short.

Tom
__________________
1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog and Now NOT fitted with an affected TAKATA NADI 5-AT airbag inflator, so not included in the recall.
1953 Morris Minor ute
1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
2008 Mercedes W211 e280 CDI sport
2003 Ford Transit
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 3 Days Ago
Roshan C Roshan C is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Suriname
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwithannl View Post
You will probably find it is loose valve seats in the head allowing them to hammer and rotate and then receding into the softer head. I also agree with erad's comment that the valves (the ones with the adjusting screws on the underside) have probably been replaced with incorrect length ones, too short.

Tom
So basically i shouldn't bother repairing this cylinder head?
I am also considering dropping in the spare L300 engine i have sitting on my front porch
it looks to be in good shape, got it from a super rusty L300 non runner couple years ago.

I can just swap over the oilpan, fuel pump and turbo stuff right?.
The last option sounds daunting as i've never undertaken something of this scale.

To be honest i got this pajero really cheap, fixed most small issues. There were lots of questionable stuff done to it! but whenever neccesary it got me to school and back without issues.

Last edited by Roshan C; 3 Days Ago at 12:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EGR valve issue El_Freddo Generation 3 Pajero 2 24-06-19 09:41 PM
6g74 DOHC noisy valve train after rebuild. derangedrover Generation 2 Pajero 5 03-12-17 07:28 AM
Paj on a train? marksierra Generation 3 Pajero 11 02-10-17 09:22 AM
Cool train set GOSSAMER Bits and Pieces 4 01-05-16 08:25 PM
suction control valve issue. in limp mode jinks_one Generation 4-1 Pajero 38 01-02-15 07:56 PM


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 04:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.