Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 1 Week Ago

Default Lovells front springs recommendation for NW

Hi All,

My NW diesel I just acquired was quite high in the rear but standard up front. It's clear now as the rear has raised CRR-91 springs in the rear with airbags. These are fine for now and with airbags should be good for load carrying and when camping off road.

The front only has standard springs: CFR-90. I'm looking at putting either CFR-90HD or
CFR-90EHD to level up the ride height.

The car has the following up front:

Smart bar (49kg)
Warn winch with synthetic rope
Dual battery
Soon to be added alloy roof rack
Steel bash plates

Could those with experience with the front springs CFR-90HD and CFR-90EHD please let me know their experiences. I'll be keen to hear about your setups (mods/accessories) and how it handles, especially if you have the EHD.

I want the lift up front but don't wish to destroy the ride around town.

Cheers.
Old 1 Week Ago
Super Moderator

Hi Damo,

Factory unladen ride heights are 503/5mm front and 533/5mm rear, this is measured from the centre of the wheel hub up to the underside of the wheel arch in a vertical line.
A 35-45mm lift in the front and 40-50mm lift in the rear is the most you should be aiming for as this keeps you legal by maintaining 2/3's of the original droop travel.

However if you have high kms on a sagged suspension you can experience noise and vibration if you go up to the higher limit, this is because the driveshafts are used to running at lower ride heights.

Most front aftermarket raised coils have a similar spring rate and just a higher free length so ride comfort is not effected. It is when you go to the EHD coils that are required for a steel bar, winch, aux battery and a full set of bash plates that the spring rates increase.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo03 View Post
Hi All,

My NW diesel I just acquired was quite high in the rear but standard up front. It's clear now as the rear has raised CRR-91 springs in the rear with airbags. These are fine for now and with airbags should be good for load carrying and when camping off road.

The front only has standard springs: CFR-90. I'm looking at putting either CFR-90HD or
CFR-90EHD to level up the ride height.

The car has the following up front:

Smart bar (49kg)
Warn winch with synthetic rope
Dual battery
Soon to be added alloy roof rack
Steel bash plates

Could those with experience with the front springs CFR-90HD and CFR-90EHD please let me know their experiences. I'll be keen to hear about your setups (mods/accessories) and how it handles, especially if you have the EHD.

I want the lift up front but don't wish to destroy the ride around town.

Cheers.
My Paj has exactly the same set up with steel cable.
I have Lovells HD springs front and rear.
The ride is beautiful.
Just my 2c
Old 5 Days Ago

Thanks Dalma01. Is the suspension level or nose down or rear down?
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

I fitted new front CFR90EHD, rear second hand CRR90HD about 18 months ago.
Koni shocks.

ARB bar, Warn winch, synthetic rope, Bushskinz intercooler and sump guard. Second battery in boot. Compressor bolted in rear as well. Rear storage tub full of tools and reovery gear.

Weight is about 1240kg on front axle with driver.

Heights when fitted 1/11/19 (on slightly uneven ground) -
FL 570MM FR 555MM
RL 555MM RR 545MM

Height today (on slightly uneven ground, but different spot), full fuel -
FL 570MM FR 555MM
RL 545MM RR 535MM

When first fitted handling felt odd. Stiffened up rear shocks one notch made an improvement, although still "feels" better when loaded up.

It was definitely different to the severly sagged original suspension. I wouldn't of said "better", but after living with it I now really like it. Probably feels a bit less like a sports car, but handles touring loads and trips a lot better, even when pushed along.

I bought front springs fom local spring manufacturer, suspension repairer. Generally has good reputation. He insisted I needed the EHD. In hindsight obviously I don't as technically on Old Jack's figures it is probably to high in front, and not very lifted in rear. It hasn't sagged or settled and is to high, although doesn’t look out of place, or maybe I have got used to it. The rear doesn't appear to sag much when loaded up and with about 150kg camper trailer ball weight.

Originally I thought if it didn't settle in front I would replace front springs with HD instead, but now I don't want to change what actually seems to work quite well.
Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.
Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo03 View Post
Thanks Dalma01. Is the suspension level or nose down or rear down?
It's pretty level.
Maybe slightly nose down.
The rear is always higher on Pajero's I noticed.
Old 3 Days Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharb View Post
I fitted new front CFR90EHD, rear second hand CRR90HD about 18 months ago.
Koni shocks.

ARB bar, Warn winch, synthetic rope, Bushskinz intercooler and sump guard. Second battery in boot. Compressor bolted in rear as well. Rear storage tub full of tools and reovery gear.

Weight is about 1240kg on front axle with driver.

Heights when fitted 1/11/19 (on slightly uneven ground) -
FL 570MM FR 555MM
RL 555MM RR 545MM

Height today (on slightly uneven ground, but different spot), full fuel -
FL 570MM FR 555MM
RL 545MM RR 535MM

When first fitted handling felt odd. Stiffened up rear shocks one notch made an improvement, although still "feels" better when loaded up.

It was definitely different to the severly sagged original suspension. I wouldn't of said "better", but after living with it I now really like it. Probably feels a bit less like a sports car, but handles touring loads and trips a lot better, even when pushed along.

I bought front springs fom local spring manufacturer, suspension repairer. Generally has good reputation. He insisted I needed the EHD. In hindsight obviously I don't as technically on Old Jack's figures it is probably to high in front, and not very lifted in rear. It hasn't sagged or settled and is to high, although doesn’t look out of place, or maybe I have got used to it. The rear doesn't appear to sag much when loaded up and with about 150kg camper trailer ball weight.

Originally I thought if it didn't settle in front I would replace front springs with HD instead, but now I don't want to change what actually seems to work quite well.
Are your ride height figures correct especially for the front? 15mm difference left to right is a lot as is 570mm.

I would have thought at 570mm you would not be able to get a proper wheel alignment on the front.
Have you jacked up the front of the car so both front wheels and the suspension are at full droop? You really need 60+mm of droop travel from the normal ride height otherwise you risk unwanted activations of the ABS, ASC and TC systems, if this happens a off road it will slow your progress, it it happened on road it can cause handling issues.

There are also significant long term effects of operating with excessive increase in drive shaft angles. I would strongly advise changing the coils over. A few hundred dollars now will save you a few thousand dollars later.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .