Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Have twice had the water pump mounting O ring leak when at operating temperature, but not when cold.

Both times took quite some time to find as the coolant would also evaporate as soon as it leaked out when at operating temp.

However this is unrelated to pressurising or overheating.
Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
Reasonable assumption, but I've heard stories that sometimes the leak (e.g. a crack) only opens at higher temperatures, and will close again as the engine cools. Real or myth I don't know.

But this is a good question. On releasing the radiator cap, if escaping air is heard, is it over-pressure venting out, or vacuum sucking in? Is the radiator cap somehow not letting the overflow return?

Are the radiator hoses tight when its cold (before releasing the cap) or soft / spongy?
The hoses are tight when cold spits a little coolant out when cap is opened.. Am going to pull the motor and auto trans to convert to manual soon so I will rip the head off and have a look while engine is out.. I have a spare head on my other motor so I might just swap it over and send mine off for crack testing, although I am not hopeful of a good outcome

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
NL Pajero gls.. TJM pro locker...front LOKKA...full reco 4M40 manual ...rear drawers ..ARB bullbar...Kings awning..Kings 9" led lights...Kings lightbar...1200lb winch...75 litre Evakool Fridge...agm second battery...DRL's....40 channel UHF....2 x 128 Channel UHF / VHF Handhelds...Kings recovery gear...Thumper compresser...ARB locker compressor
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Can you pressure test cooling system while it's hot to check it's leaking pressure before going ahead and ripping the head off? Just thinking of some way for you to check if it's needed before committing to the work/expense you are intending

Combined with the test erad mentioned for exhaust gases in cooling system water, might save you some time and money
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

I once had a Range Rover which used to leak a had gasket only when hot. On a long uphill section, I could feel the power drop when the temperature gauge reached a certain point. I had to guess which head was blown, so I opted for the one which was hardest to remove. Once it was off, I could a trace where the casket had (hopefully) blown. I had the head shaved slightly and put a new gasket on. No more overheating problems after that. All cylinder compression testing showed no leaks because by the time the spark plugs were removes, it had cooled down sufficiently for the gasket to seal again.

Aluminium heads on cast iron blocks are a potential source of problems, although in this case the Rangie had an aluminium block (with cast iron liners pressed into place).. Even so, this would have caused the problem because Aluminium expands at a faster rate than Cast Iron.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco stu View Post
Can you pressure test cooling system while it's hot to check it's leaking pressure before going ahead and ripping the head off? Just thinking of some way for you to check if it's needed before committing to the work/expense you are intending

Combined with the test erad mentioned for exhaust gases in cooling system water, might save you some time and money
Yeah stu.... It holds pressure when cold and builds pressure when hot.. Went and picked up a mates caravan today and it hated it... 120 c most of the way home... Just trying to show its weakness and where the weakness is..
NL Pajero gls.. TJM pro locker...front LOKKA...full reco 4M40 manual ...rear drawers ..ARB bullbar...Kings awning..Kings 9" led lights...Kings lightbar...1200lb winch...75 litre Evakool Fridge...agm second battery...DRL's....40 channel UHF....2 x 128 Channel UHF / VHF Handhelds...Kings recovery gear...Thumper compresser...ARB locker compressor