Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharb View Post
Replaced the Smartbar on my second hand NX with ARB.

Also swapped over the synthetic rope equipped Warn winch.

I weighed all the bits that came off and went on.

Smart Bar was 49kg, ARB was 62kg.

So by the time a winch , spotlights/bar and the arb is added you have put 100kg extra on the front. Thats a fair old chunk of weight...no wonder the front suspension needs looking at. I dont know what the oem bar weighs but I,m guessing no where near 62+ kgs..

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 1 Week Ago
Resident

Thanks pharb - exactly the sort of info I was hoping to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
So by the time a winch , spotlights/bar and the arb is added you have put 100kg extra on the front. Thats a fair old chunk of weight...no wonder the front suspension needs looking at. I dont know what the oem bar weighs but I,m guessing no where near 62+ kgs..
My NT already had a steel TJM bar, winch with wire, spotlights & bushskinz. I swapped the wire & rollers for synthetic & hawse (9kg saving) , and both the ARB and Ironman bars look slimmer than the old TJM bar I'm losing - and I'm planning to dump the spotlights too, because I rarely ever used them before they developed a problem & I pulled the fuse. So I'm happy that my Pajero will be lighter than it is currently, and it will have a better approach angle - and it's the TJM's pathetic approach angle that caused all this to happen in the first place.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
I don't think spot lights are going to add 38kg to the 62kg ARB bar and winch combo to reach 100kg.

Weighed car with 1/2 tank of fuel, driver, and 55aH auxilary battery, heavy spec sump guard (slightly heavier and wider than Bushkinz but no intercooler guard) - front axle weight was 1240kg. Maximum allowed is 1330kg. So 90kg to spare.

Assuming due to central location a front passenger adds 1/2 of say 80kg, and full fuel adds 1/2 of 40L that will bring front axle weight up to about 1300kg, minus the auxilary battery I have since moved to boot, the front axle still has some capacity left before exceeding axle limits.

Have weighed numerous times in full camp, touring mode for 2 people, sometimes with camper, sometimes without. Have yet to exceed any weight limits.
Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Son has a TJM bar on his ML.

I prefer the ARB. It "looks" better designed, less finicky in the structure, but I could be biased due to the amount of swearing and cursing I have to do to get the intercooler protection plate off when I serivce it due to not enough clearance around the bolt heads where it attaches to the bar.

This is probably not an issue on the Pajero, but just an example little issues.
Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.
Old 1 Week Ago

Ours is a NS so might be slightly different but has ARB bar and went 1280kg front axle with no people in the vehicle.
It has full bushskins steel plates, lightforce xgt lights, provent catch can, snorkel, lovells bilstein combo and ARB alluminium roof cage. It had a full fuel tank when weighing.

There was only minimal glovebox and console gear in the vehicle when weighed and 2nd battery and compressor are mounted in 3rd row seat well so wont really affect front axle weights.

The only other heavy item at the front (well all around but just talking about front in this case) are the light truck coopers at3 tyres which are obviously a fair bit heavuer than standard passenger contruction tyres.

By my figures I would be at the limit on front axle with 2 average people in the front seats and that is with no winch or extra battery under the bonnet.

In relation the the bullbar we have had no problem with the finish of the ARB bar. It is colour coded in the cool silver to match the vehicle and does have a few stone chips, but no more than any other leading edge of the vehicle. The welds where the side hoops go through the main rail of the bar could be smoothed up a fraction for asthetics, but doesnt affect performance to me in any way.

Cheers
Ben
2007 Pajero NS VRX - DID, Manual, Cool Silver, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Aluminium Rack, Awning, Bushskinz, Bilstein & Lovells HD, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, ARB Air Compressor, Lightforce XGTs, GME UHF, Cooper AT3, TPMS and Scan Gauge.

1996 Triton MJ Luxury Double Cab - 4d56T 2.5TD Manual, Snorkel, Canopy & Roof Rack, Side Step/Sliders, Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Mickey T MTZ's, GME UHF, Custom Roof Console, Spot Light, Pioneer Head Unit & Speakers, Piranha Dual Battery, Rear Drawers