Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

I had a very similar issue. Sitting at the shops waiting for the wife to come out with the car running (NW diesel). Fuel gauge showing just under 1/4, 637kms travelled since last full up, and it stalled. No fuel light. Put in 75 litres and it was full. So that about 11.7ltr/100km which is about normal for my city driving.

Now I would expect a fuel light to appear before it stalled, and to be able to get more than that as I have filled up with more than 75ltrs before.

So kms are about right for a tank, but gauge seems way off...

Trip computer was showing 90km left in the tank.

Any ideas?
Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Stedi driving/fog light combo + LED headlights, dual battery, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
I had a very similar issue. Sitting at the shops waiting for the wife to come out with the car running (NW diesel). Fuel gauge showing just under 1/4, 637kms travelled since last full up, and it stalled. No fuel light. Put in 75 litres and it was full. So that about 11.7ltr/100km which is about normal for my city driving.

Now I would expect a fuel light to appear before it stalled, and to be able to get more than that as I have filled up with more than 75ltrs before.

Any ideas?
I have the opposite to your problem. When I fill the tank, it goes up to 200 km before the gauge starts to move. By 600 km, the gauge is normally about half, by 850, it is a quarter and then it crashes in the last 150 km. Scares hell out of me, but I now know what is normal and drive accordingly and normally don't let it get that low.
Old 1 Week Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post

Any ideas?
The engine driven diesel pump has excess capacity even at idle rpm so most of the fuel that is passing through the pump is not used and is returned to the tank, this fuel has heated up during pumping process, the high pressures result in the fuel becoming very very hot. The hot fuel returning to the tank is normally cooled by dilution when mixed with the remaining fuel in the fuel tank. However when fuel tank levels are low the fuel in the tank gradually gets hotter and hotter as it is cycled over and over again.

There is a fuel temperature sensor that the engine ECU uses to change the injector timing and durations, this is to protect the injectors, the result of this is decreased engine output. I am not fully up to speed with the idle control system but I suspect fuel temperature is one of the inputs so if this sensor was playing up it may cause the idle fuel input to be insufficient to maintain a smooth idle.

Does the Sam happen when the AC is switched ON ?

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
The engine driven diesel pump has excess capacity even at idle rpm so most of the fuel that is passing through the pump is not used and is returned to the tank, this fuel has heated up during pumping process, the high pressures result in the fuel becoming very very hot. The hot fuel returning to the tank is normally cooled by dilution when mixed with the remaining fuel in the fuel tank. However when fuel tank levels are low the fuel in the tank gradually gets hotter and hotter as it is cycled over and over again.

There is a fuel temperature sensor that the engine ECU uses to change the injector timing and durations, this is to protect the injectors, the result of this is decreased engine output. I am not fully up to speed with the idle control system but I suspect fuel temperature is one of the inputs so if this sensor was playing up it may cause the idle fuel input to be insufficient to maintain a smooth idle.

Does the Sam happen when the AC is switched ON ?

OJ.
Don't know the AC is always on!
This wouldn't explain why the fuel gauge is incredibly optimistic though?
Going to check for a dent in the tank as soon as I get the time to crawl under it. For now we are filling up at 400km to ensure we are no where near empty.
Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Stedi driving/fog light combo + LED headlights, dual battery, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone