Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Mechanical

Mechanical Discussion of mechanical matters

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default Noise on boost and oil on inlet manifold - NX

I recently noticed an unusual sound when i drove with the window down. Its a buzzy/scrapy sound that occurs when it comes on boost - most noticeable in second (EDIT: note: manual gearbox) transitioning through 2000rpm. Doesnt occur when revving at standstill. Occurs in all gears, but masked by wind noise. Fuel consumption has not changed. Everything seems normal apart from noise, although i did suffer an oil smell at the top of a big climb, and it is clear that oil has dripped towards the exhaust.

Having a poke around in the engine bay, i spied a pool of oil sitting on the inlet manifold at the rear, just before where it curves upwards to join the air inlet pipe. In the oil is sitting the bolt that should be fixing the rearmost fuel injector pipe clamp.

In the absence of any rear knowledge about what is occurring, but given the loose bolt, i'm wondering if there was a poor seal created at the junction of the air inlet pipe and manifold during the fuel pipe inspection, which is now leaking oil and creating a weird noise.

Other suggestions or advice welcome.

I'm about to drive home to canberra from Jervis Bay tomorrow.......

Last edited by insect_eater; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:56 PM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Had a recent service? Has the oil seal around the injector popped out? That would explain oil. Or if it is Diesel, maybe the pipe is loose or fractured, caused by securing bolt loose? And a loose egr valve or pipe could cause that noise.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DibbyDibbyDJ View Post
Had a recent service? Has the oil seal around the injector popped out? That would explain oil. Or if it is Diesel, maybe the pipe is loose or fractured, caused by securing bolt loose? And a loose egr valve or pipe could cause that noise.
It is a diesel, and i didnt see an obvious leak from an injector seal or pipe, but will check more closely. A service about a year ago involved the inspection of the injector pipes. You remind me that i've only noticed the noise since i removed the electronic egr blocker. I will replace and see if this changes the issue.

The oil leak and noise may be two different issues.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

For what it is worth, my NL manual transmission Pajero makes a noise when I am working the beast at full boost for a while eg towing my caravan up a steep hill. It happens when I get near the top ie when things are really starting to warm up. I thought it could be a leak in the exhaust because the exhaust note changes. I haven't seen any signs of exhaust leaks underneath, so I was wondering if it was something to do with the turbo. At this time, inlet air temperature is getting around 115 Deg C or more. When I reach the crest of the hill and back off a bit, it all quietens down again. It has done this ever since new and now is 115000 km, so I guess it is normal.
Old 1 Week Ago

I had a whirring noise on boost on my Gen 3 in September and the cause was a loose bolt on the egr pipe. Tightened it up and all good.
2005, 3.2 did, auto, 2" lift, Toyo Rugged Terrain tyres, UHF, fridge slide and box by me, dual batteries, Kalahari awning, Rhino roof bars and platform, Bush Skinz intercooler plate, Coil Rite air bags, Safari snorkel, 81 litre LRA aux tank, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX 9500 winch, Masten TPMS.
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanks for the suggestions, i will check each in turn.
I plugged the SPV back in but it made no difference.
Thee is no indication of an oil leak from injector seal. The oil appears to be leaking from junction of the air inlet pipe and the manifold there is fresh flow from this area. Or possibly from the head gasket, but i cant see an indication of such.
The engine is overfilled with oil - about 2cm high on the dipstick.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DibbyDibbyDJ View Post
it is Diesel, maybe the pipe is loose or fractured, caused by securing bolt loose? And a loose egr valve or pipe could cause that noise.

I meant was the oil actually oil or was it diesel leaking?

What year is it? DPF model?
Old 1 Week Ago

Of course, i should've realised.
I'm assuming it's oil - it doesnt smell like diesel.
It's a MY2015, non-DPF.