Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Default Flash lube catch can

Hi All,
Any opinions on the Flash Lube oil catch can.
Do they work ? Are they easy to install for a general handyman type? Do they fit in an NW ? Are they worth the money?

I am a little suspicious that at 86,000 Ks my 2012 NW may be suffering gunk build up so thinking a catch can may assist with prevention of gunk.

Thank you and cheers.
NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I went with the Provent on my NW. Original and a proven product..

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I use provents. The old man has a flash lube one. He is not impressed with it. Not sure why.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Thanks guys,

I was favoring the Provent for reasons I am unsure of.
Did some more in depth research today and came a across a very good analysis of about 10 catch cans.
Turns out that the Flash Lube and Provent scored almost equally in top spot, almost nothing separating them.
Decided to go Provent, it was cheaper and was also offering a 10% discount this month for online purchases, bit of a no brainer.

So thank you and happy Pajeroing.
NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by likatiger View Post
Hi All,
Any opinions on the Flash Lube oil catch can.
Do they work ? Are they easy to install for a general handyman type? Do they fit in an NW ? Are they worth the money?

I am a little suspicious that at 86,000 Ks my 2012 NW may be suffering gunk build up so thinking a catch can may assist with prevention of gunk.

Thank you and cheers.
Based on my experience at 80,000 km you need to consider having the manifold cleaned as the deposit is already building up.
Then I would fit the SPC module to prevent the EGR from dumping exhaust gas into the manifold.
I believe this would be less trouble both in the immediate and future.
Regards.
Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I recently bought a Ryco catch can. Relatively new to the market. All the marketing statistics suggest better performance than ProVent (remains to be seen from independent testing) but can be a fair bit cheaper as SCA sell it and I nabbed one when it was 30% off and then used a $50 voucher. So keep an eye out for Ryco. Mine installed nicely and seems to be doing the job.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Thanks reciprovac, yes agree that it may be time to do the manifold clean.
Engine seems to run roughly at idle, particularly when cold, have had injector and system type treatment that supposed to fix it but it did not and MMAL dealer said their MUT testers showed all to be normal.

Interestingly, I have had the electronic control device that you mention installed since new and all was good until a few months ago so I don't really know if they work or not. I disconnected the device to see if any difference but there was not, therefore thinking of a manifold clean and a catch can and possibly reinstalling the SPC.

Thanks Stacho for that info, sounds like a good buy.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Engine seems to run roughly at idle, particularly when cold, have had injector and system type treatment that supposed to fix it but it did not and MMAL dealer said their MUT testers showed all to be normal.

Interestingly, I have had the electronic control device that you mention installed since new and all was good until a few months ago so I don't really know if they work or not. I disconnected the device to see if any difference but there was not, therefore thinking of a manifold clean and a catch can and possibly reinstalling the SPC.

I see you have the usual mods. One mod that I find of great benefit is an Ultragauge. This monitors all your vehicles vitals and gives peace of mind when driving and helps should anything go wrong. Definiitely one of the best mods.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:

I’d be checking you engine mounts. It seems random but is a known issue with Pajero’s that can result in what feels like a rough idle. A few have had them done under warranty

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Thanks Dicko1, I will look into the Ultraguage, never really understood those things but I need to get my head around it.

Thanks Geopaj, never thought about the engine mounts so will check them out.
Cheers to all that have helped.