• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Wilkinson
    • Mar 2016
    • Brisbane

Engine loss of power

My 2012 110k 3.2 diesel Pajero, which has been sitting for a couple of weeks, suddenly has no power. It runs fine, I can drive it, but it's gutless, and struggles to hold speed up hill. Acceleration from stop is woeful.

I've had it about a year, I bought it from the original owner, which on paper was a perfect car. Good service history, it was a country doctor's car and it was literally driven like an overly cautious grandma was driving it. I doubt it ever saw 2000rpm in it's life.

When I parked it 2 weeks ago it ran perfectly, today, a ride on mower would out accelerate it.

I can't hear the turbo whine, although there has been a bit of an exhaust manifold leak for a few months. So my impression is the turbo isn't spinning up, but not sure what might be causing that.

Or, I could be wrong !!

Any ideas, home is Brisbane, inner northside, so I guess I need some recommendations (other than Mitsubishi preferably) to take it to also.

Thanks in advance.
  • Anky
    • Feb 2020
    • Brisbane, Australia

Things To Check If Your Turbo Leaks Oil

You can have carbon failure. That is when burn oil has cut up the steel on the turbine shaft. That makes the groove too big for the seals to keep them in the oil. This is the most popular failure I see in the small frame turbochargers. Next, you should check crankcase pressure. A bad PCV system can make the turbo leak. Also too much piston blow-by. May it causing an issue.
    As you have said that your home is in Brisbane I would recommend a car repair and service expert in Brisbane which Brisbane Auto Shop. I experienced their service.

Comment

• drgtr
      • Sep 2019
      • Rosemeadow

Originally posted by Ian Wilkinson View Post
      My 2012 110k 3.2 diesel Pajero, which has been sitting for a couple of weeks, suddenly has no power. It runs fine, I can drive it, but it's gutless, and struggles to hold speed up hill. Acceleration from stop is woeful.

I've had it about a year, I bought it from the original owner, which on paper was a perfect car. Good service history, it was a country doctor's car and it was literally driven like an overly cautious grandma was driving it. I doubt it ever saw 2000rpm in it's life.

When I parked it 2 weeks ago it ran perfectly, today, a ride on mower would out accelerate it.

I can't hear the turbo whine, although there has been a bit of an exhaust manifold leak for a few months. So my impression is the turbo isn't spinning up, but not sure what might be causing that.

Or, I could be wrong !!

Any ideas, home is Brisbane, inner northside, so I guess I need some recommendations (other than Mitsubishi preferably) to take it to also.

Thanks in advance.

Gauranteed you have an intercooler leak or intercooler piping leak.
      There is a crack on the pipe, bottom of intercooler where you cant see.
      Also check your vacuum lines.

Comment

• Ian Wilkinson
        • Mar 2016
        • Brisbane

Thanks guys, appreciate you taking the time to reply.

The engine light is on today, so I guess there will be a fault to read now. When I get a chance to get out, I'll try to grab one of those drives for reading codes.

Anyone have any firm opinions whether a cabled one is best, or the if the bluetooth ones that communicate with your phone are better ?

Comment

• Seigried
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2016
          • brisbane

I use torque pro with a "reliance" branded blue tooth one from jaycar.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

I use torque pro with an OBDLINK MX Bluetooth adaptor.

I like torque pro for the huge amount of information I can get on one screen, but it was a good solution for me because I already had a charging cradle for my phone in a good spot for viewing.

The Bluetooth device occasionally disappears on me, forcing me to pair again, and Torque Pro occasionally freezes on me.

None of these issues with an Ultra gauge.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Ian Wilkinson
              • Mar 2016
              • Brisbane

I bought a bluetooth OBDii reader and downloaded an App, and the error code was PO299.....turbocharger low boost. That wasn't on last night when I drove it the first time, but it did come on today, then hasn't come back on during either small drive this afternoon.

If I drive the car while connected to the app, accelerating away to about 2500 rpm sees the reading for "calculated boost" go from 0 bar while idling to about 0.13 bar while accelerating.

I haven't pulled any hoses yet to inspect, today is my first day back home after a couple of weeks working away and there's things to do. And that means the motor isn't getting a chance to cool down enough to reach in and inspect hoses etc.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2016
                • Greater Sydney

Low boost code is P1299.

.13 bar is way under boost. Should be around 1 bar or 14 to 15PSI.

It's a lot easier to read in PSI. You can change it in Torque settings.

The MAP is on the firewall passenger side. You will see the hose running to the manifold.

Comment

• Ian Wilkinson
                  • Mar 2016
                  • Brisbane

Torque Pro doesn't work on iOS unfortunately, so I have a different App, but it does rate very well. Here's the error code via a screen snap shot.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Alben
                    • Jul 2010
                    • Victoria

Has the hose come loose between the turbo and intercooler or intercooler and throttle body somewhete?
                    2007 Pajero NS VRX - DID, Manual, Cool Silver, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Aluminium Rack, Awning, Bushskinz, Bilstein & Lovells HD, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, ARB Air Compressor, Lightforce XGTs, GME UHF, Cooper AT3, TPMS and Scan Gauge.

1996 Triton MJ Luxury Double Cab - 4d56T 2.5TD Manual, Snorkel, Canopy & Roof Rack, Side Step/Sliders, Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Mickey T MTZ's, GME UHF, Custom Roof Console, Spot Light, Pioneer Head Unit & Speakers, Piranha Dual Battery, Rear Drawers

Comment

• Ky1e
                      • Aug 2015
                      • Muswellbrook

Run torque pro, take it for a drive, log the fuel rail pressure, log the boost. Would be interesting to see what's going on.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • Port Augusta - SA

A faulty boost control solenoid or its associated vacuum piping could cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

Do you get rodents in your area that chew under-bonnet wiring and hoses ?
                        Or does that only happen further north (Tinaroo Dam comes to mind) ?
                        2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Morville
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2008
                          • Buxton Vic

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                          Do you get rodents in your area that chew under-bonnet wiring and hoses ?
                          Or does that only happen further north (Tinaroo Dam comes to mind) ?
                          That can happen anywhere, we just had a neighbour near us that had rats chew the wiring under the plastic engine cover on his fairly new Colorado. It cost him several thousand $ to get fixed.
                          Peter

Comment

• Ian Wilkinson
                            • Mar 2016
                            • Brisbane

Thanks guys.

I went for a drive this morning with the OBDii device connected and the app running, I had it tracking boost pressure, manifold pressure and a few other things, and the boost pressure remained on 0bar the whole time, even under acceleration.

There's no dodgy noises going on, so hopefully it's a simple fix. Checked the rubber hoses I could easily get to and they all feel soft and flexible, so I guess the next step is to pull the sump guard off, and the top cover off the engine and have a better look.

Not really sure what I'm looking for, if it was the 302 in my old XT Falcon, I'd be all over it. But a modern turbo diesel, I have no idea what part is what.

Comment

• drgtr
                              • Sep 2019
                              • Rosemeadow

Ian front mounter intercooler.
                              Check from front bottom. Make sure no cracks. They are prone to leak at the bottom. You will see oil coming out abit from mist.

Check hoses too they are cracked blown or loose from oil.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X