• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 85L200Express
    • Mar 2012
    • Tasmania

Rear Diff Lock Worth It?

So I've been searching for a Pajero Exceed and there's a 2009/10 VRX that has come up but unfortunately no diff lock... I am interested in doing some tough tracks. Will I be missing out if I get a model without the diff lock? Or should I hold out and get one with it?

Thanks
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

How's the price look? Could you buy this one and fit an aftermarket diff lock?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• 85L200Express
      • Mar 2012
      • Tasmania

Around $27k with 112km..... I'm going to try and get it down to $25k . How much would an after market locker cost me?

Comment

• Drewan
        • Apr 2017
        • Adelaide

I would be bleating long and loud about the lack of diff lock and how you couldn't possibly go off road without out one and using that to screw the price way down (but then I'm not a nice person) at least with an after market air locker you get a half decent compressor (the factory ones I've seen are very low PSI)
        Over capitalized NK.I'm running out of things to add to it it died , now a SWB NJ with all the good stuff from the NK on it .

Comment

• ticky
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2015
          • Adelaide

I thought the NT VRX came Standard with the RDL

I havent used mine much, but I used it on the long weekend and found it very Handy

Steve
          2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• 85L200Express
            • Mar 2012
            • Tasmania

Yeah I was thinking to do that. It's in pretty good nice apparently (they all say that of course) wonder how low I can get it... Any idea how much a rear locker would cost installed?

Comment

• NFT5
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Canberra

$2K +/-, depending on brand.

If I had one with no locker I'd put a locker in the front first. I rarely use the rear locker in mine.
              Chris

Comment

• 85L200Express
                • Mar 2012
                • Tasmania

Thanks for the info. Why is a front locker more useful than a rear? Because it pulls you out and over?

Comment

• Lando
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2013
                  • Lake Maquarie NSW

Probably because the paj loves lifting the front tyres
                  MY14 NW GLX-R

This thing goes freaking everywhere!!

Comment

• Lando
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2013
                    • Lake Maquarie NSW

Youll be surprised how capable the paj is with no diff locks...the traction control is a great thing when its working

I use my rear lock on climbs and descents..but i have modded mine to keep the traction control on with the locker engaged (oem diff lock turns it off and the front becomes all but useless)

But i do enjoy putting both lockers in and crawling up some interesting climbs that others have bashed their way up lol
                    MY14 NW GLX-R

This thing goes freaking everywhere!!

Comment

• Pickle
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2007
                      • All over Oz

Originally posted by ticky View Post
                      I thought the NT VRX came Standard with the RDL

Steve
                      Only the diesel versions !
                      Dave
                      NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                      Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• mudlova
                        • May 2015
                        • australia

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
                        Only the diesel versions !
                        Dave
                        I have a 2010 NT diesel VRX and it doesn't have a diff lock I think it was an optional extra for the NT VRX
                        No longer own a Pajero

Comment

• pajeromack
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2014
                          • NSW

Originally posted by 85L200Express View Post
                          So I've been searching for a Pajero Exceed and there's a 2009/10 VRX that has come up but unfortunately no diff lock... I am interested in doing some tough tracks. Will I be missing out if I get a model without the diff lock? Or should I hold out and get one with it?
                          Tough call
                          If you're planning on doing some offroading I'd recommend hanging out for one with a rear locker. The traction control system is great but have diff locks makes it effortless. Much cheaper if you want to go twin-locked down the track. You can also do the TC mod.

It can be frustrating trying to find a Pajero with a rear locker on the used market as most sellers have absolutely no idea and will just say 'yes yes it has diff locks' without realising that you're referring to the rear locker. Happened to me a few times when I was trying to fine one. Very annoying

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

While noting that there are now more after-market options available than only the Air Locker, you could consider this:

If you buy a nice Pajero without the rear diff lock, you can consider that installation of a genuine Air Locker (i.e. not one of the Chinese copies) will also come with ARB's new model air-compressor - which actually does a pretty good job in the tyre inflation stakes. So, you end up with a compact, reasonably quick, permanently hard-wired air compressor mounted in your vehicle - which I find quicker to deploy than a portable model mounted in a case that needs to be dragged out and connected to a battery. Decide how much that would otherwise cost to purchase &/or install, and deduct that from the cost of an aftermarket rear locker.

On front vs rear: I own two Pajeros with front air-lockers, and they undoubtedly make a huge difference to off-road capability - but I rarely need to use them. Shorty has a good rear LSD which pushes me through lots, but I do find I often use the NT's rear locker on long loose climbs, to make life a little easier on the traction control. The NT's lockers are wired such that I can't engage the front without the rear, so I can't comment on front alone in that scenario. But it is a simple fact that, once a front wheel is lifted with an open front diff, you're in 2wd - the front wheel still on the ground is only keeping the nose out of the dirt.
                            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pickle
                              Administrator
                              • Jun 2007
                              • All over Oz

Originally posted by mudlova View Post
                              I have a 2010 NT diesel VRX and it doesn't have a diff lock I think it was an optional extra for the NT VRX
                              Correct !
                              NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                              Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X