• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Gen 4 bull bars

Last year I tested the theory of irresistible force versus immovable object, and my bull bar gave in first. TJM have advised that I can't buy new mounting brackets to replace the ones that bent, so it's time to replace the bull bar, for which I'm making an insurance claim.

My preferred crash repairer is steering me towards an Ironman bar, as he rates them as best quality.

He has only ever fitted one TJM bar, and doesn't want to do another. If I don't want Ironman, he suggests ARB as his second preference, but claims that ARB quality has gone backwards, and he's seen a number rusting around the welds.

I'm concerned about some of the reports I've seen here about the way the ARB bull bars mount (or did mount?) leading to some cracking of support panels. I don't know if ARB have changed anything recently.

So, who's had what experiences with winch compatible bull bars, and who would recommend (or not recommend) what?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Why not go with the polybars as used on most emergency vehicles? No rust issues, strong, lighter and in my opinion they dont look bad at all...Plus they can take a reasonable knock and bounce back as new!!
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Merts
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2011
      • Bendigo Vic

I have an ARB Summit bar on my Triton and it appears well made.

We put an Ironman bar on another work vehicle and it also appears well made. Welds are neat etc. The only issue we had with the Ironman was some paint flaked off after a while. It appeared that the surface hadn't been properly cleaned prior to painting. They replaced the bar with no arguments and there has been no issues with the replacement.
      Merts
      Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
      Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
        Why not go with the polybars as used on most emergency vehicles? No rust issues, strong, lighter and in my opinion they dont look bad at all...Plus they can take a reasonable knock and bounce back as new!!
        Vanity. I don't like the way they look.

Originally posted by Merts View Post
        I have an ARB Summit bar on my Triton and it appears well made.

We put an Ironman bar on another work vehicle and it also appears well made. Welds are neat etc. The only issue we had with the Ironman was some paint flaked off after a while. It appeared that the surface hadn't been properly cleaned prior to painting. They replaced the bar with no arguments and there has been no issues with the replacement.
        Thanks Merts - that's an encouraging start.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          Vanity. I don't like the way they look.

hahaha...man up!!!
          Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• DAVIDHHH
            • Jan 2019
            • Ulladulla

I've had an ARB bar on for around 14 months. I live next to the ocean. It basically looks the same as the day i bought it. No signs of rust or issues with paint etc

I should add that i've also hit a roo at speed during that time. No mark on the bar, did crack the plastic fog light cover but that was an easy fix.
            2016 NX GLX5, Tough Dog 40mm lift, Snorkel, ARB Bar, oricom UHF, Cargo Barrier, OCAM Flat Rack, Boo's plates, Dual Battery in rear well etc

Previous: 2002 PA Challenger

Comment

• Pixie_au
              • Apr 2019
              • Queensland

Check out the weight difference between Ironman and others. When I was looking, the Ironman was significantly heavier. Which may or may not float your boat.

Also, I was assured by ARB that the Pajero bars they sell in Australia are made in Australia.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Pixie_au View Post
                Check out the weight difference between Ironman and others. When I was looking, the Ironman was significantly heavier. Which may or may not float your boat.
                This does concern me, and could easily be the factor that sways my decision. Do you have any specs for the Ironman bar?

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pixie_au
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Queensland

I can't recall exactly but I think it was about 30kg heavier (maybe more).

However I only went by what the Ironman shop (Clontarf) told me about theirs and what I could find out about ARB on this site.

I never weighed both.

Otherwise I had no concerns with the Ironman. Maybe they are a bit more solid.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• pharb
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Tyers,Vic

Replaced the Smartbar on my second hand NX with ARB.

Also swapped over the synthetic rope equipped Warn winch.

I weighed all the bits that came off and went on.

Smart Bar was 49kg, ARB was 62kg.
                    PCOV Member 1107.
                    Daily driver NX GLX
                    Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                    Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                    Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by pharb View Post
                      Replaced the Smartbar on my second hand NX with ARB.

Also swapped over the synthetic rope equipped Warn winch.

I weighed all the bits that came off and went on.

Smart Bar was 49kg, ARB was 62kg.

So by the time a winch , spotlights/bar and the arb is added you have put 100kg extra on the front. Thats a fair old chunk of weight...no wonder the front suspension needs looking at. I dont know what the oem bar weighs but I,m guessing no where near 62+ kgs..
                      Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• nj swb
                        Resident
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Adelaide

Thanks pharb - exactly the sort of info I was hoping to find.

So by the time a winch , spotlights/bar and the arb is added you have put 100kg extra on the front. Thats a fair old chunk of weight...no wonder the front suspension needs looking at. I dont know what the oem bar weighs but I,m guessing no where near 62+ kgs..
                        My NT already had a steel TJM bar, winch with wire, spotlights & bushskinz. I swapped the wire & rollers for synthetic & hawse (9kg saving) , and both the ARB and Ironman bars look slimmer than the old TJM bar I'm losing - and I'm planning to dump the spotlights too, because I rarely ever used them before they developed a problem & I pulled the fuse. So I'm happy that my Pajero will be lighter than it is currently, and it will have a better approach angle - and it's the TJM's pathetic approach angle that caused all this to happen in the first place.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• pharb
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Tyers,Vic

I don't think spot lights are going to add 38kg to the 62kg ARB bar and winch combo to reach 100kg.

Weighed car with 1/2 tank of fuel, driver, and 55aH auxilary battery, heavy spec sump guard (slightly heavier and wider than Bushkinz but no intercooler guard) - front axle weight was 1240kg. Maximum allowed is 1330kg. So 90kg to spare.

Assuming due to central location a front passenger adds 1/2 of say 80kg, and full fuel adds 1/2 of 40L that will bring front axle weight up to about 1300kg, minus the auxilary battery I have since moved to boot, the front axle still has some capacity left before exceeding axle limits.

Have weighed numerous times in full camp, touring mode for 2 people, sometimes with camper, sometimes without. Have yet to exceed any weight limits.
                          PCOV Member 1107.
                          Daily driver NX GLX
                          Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.

Comment

• pharb
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Tyers,Vic

Son has a TJM bar on his ML.

I prefer the ARB. It "looks" better designed, less finicky in the structure, but I could be biased due to the amount of swearing and cursing I have to do to get the intercooler protection plate off when I serivce it due to not enough clearance around the bolt heads where it attaches to the bar.

This is probably not an issue on the Pajero, but just an example little issues.
                            PCOV Member 1107.
                            Daily driver NX GLX

Comment

• Alben
                              • Jul 2010
                              • Victoria

Ours is a NS so might be slightly different but has ARB bar and went 1280kg front axle with no people in the vehicle.
                              It has full bushskins steel plates, lightforce xgt lights, provent catch can, snorkel, lovells bilstein combo and ARB alluminium roof cage. It had a full fuel tank when weighing.

There was only minimal glovebox and console gear in the vehicle when weighed and 2nd battery and compressor are mounted in 3rd row seat well so wont really affect front axle weights.

The only other heavy item at the front (well all around but just talking about front in this case) are the light truck coopers at3 tyres which are obviously a fair bit heavuer than standard passenger contruction tyres.

By my figures I would be at the limit on front axle with 2 average people in the front seats and that is with no winch or extra battery under the bonnet.

In relation the the bullbar we have had no problem with the finish of the ARB bar. It is colour coded in the cool silver to match the vehicle and does have a few stone chips, but no more than any other leading edge of the vehicle. The welds where the side hoops go through the main rail of the bar could be smoothed up a fraction for asthetics, but doesnt affect performance to me in any way.

Cheers
                              Ben
                              2007 Pajero NS VRX - DID, Manual, Cool Silver, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ARB Aluminium Rack, Awning, Bushskinz, Bilstein & Lovells HD, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, ARB Air Compressor, Lightforce XGTs, GME UHF, Cooper AT3, TPMS and Scan Gauge.

1996 Triton MJ Luxury Double Cab - 4d56T 2.5TD Manual, Snorkel, Canopy & Roof Rack, Side Step/Sliders, Bullbar, IPF Driving Lights, Mickey T MTZ's, GME UHF, Custom Roof Console, Spot Light, Pioneer Head Unit & Speakers, Piranha Dual Battery, Rear Drawers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X