• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ticky
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

Thumper Air Compressor Problem

Hi, I have a Thumper Compressor, about 3 years old but not used much.

It suddenly stopped pumping up my tire last trip out and I had to use a mates compressor to finish airing up..

It still pumps air, but bugger all pressure, I can old my finger over the outlet and block the air

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Steve
    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

Originally posted by ticky View Post
    Hi, I have a Thumper Compressor, about 3 years old but not used much.

It suddenly stopped pumping up my tire last trip out and I had to use a mates compressor to finish airing up..

It still pumps air, but bugger all pressure, I can old my finger over the outlet and block the air

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Steve
    Probably the little stainless steel flapper is broken. Happened to my compressor. Take the ‘head’ off and you’ll see the problem. Easy to replace.
    Flapper means it closes the on the up stroke and opens on the down stroke. Broken flapper means no compression.
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• ticky
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2015
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post

Probably the little stainless steel flapper is broken. Happened to my compressor. Take the ‘head’ off and you’ll see the problem. Easy to replace.
      Flapper means it closes the on the up stroke and opens on the down stroke. Broken flapper means no compression.

Thanks Keith, Thats exactly what I needed to know. I nearly started to pull the head off today but then I got side tracked. At least now I know what to look for.

Did you buy the part, or did you make one?

Thanks again

Steve
      2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Keithyv
        Valued Member
        • May 2018
        • Perth

From memory I contacted the manufacturer or place I bought it from and they posted me a few spares I think. This was a few years back now and I don't really remember.

If you have some suitable spring steel you could make one I'm sure.
        From memory mine looked a bit like this.

Valve Plate Assembly 52122-2100 Valve plate assembly This is used on the following air compressors including Iron Horse Air Compressors, Eagle Air Compressors, and MAXair Industrial Air Compressor. Fits Air Compressor Pumps:           HPV05A,  HPT10A,  PT10A, PV02A, PV03A

My compressor is a double piston one so one side being broken meant it still worked but was very slow.
        2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
        MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Kingbrown
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2012
          • Port Augusta - SA

A reed valve from an old air conditioning compressor might do the trick.
          2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• ticky
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2015
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
            From memory I contacted the manufacturer or place I bought it from and they posted me a few spares I think. This was a few years back now and I don't really remember.

If you have some suitable spring steel you could make one I'm sure.
            From memory mine looked a bit like this.

Valve Plate Assembly 52122-2100 Valve plate assembly This is used on the following air compressors including Iron Horse Air Compressors, Eagle Air Compressors, and MAXair Industrial Air Compressor. Fits Air Compressor Pumps:           HPV05A,  HPT10A,  PT10A, PV02A, PV03A

My compressor is a double piston one so one side being broken meant it still worked but was very slow.
            Thanks again Keith

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X