• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnnywal47
    • Mar 2019
    • Ocean Grove

What model to buy.

Hi, I am new to the forum and this question has probably been asked many times before.
    I am going to tow our van up the centre and down the west coast during the winter months. I have previously towed the van(around 1700kg tandem) with a dedicated gas falcon wagon but you can no longer get gas reliably in the north west. I am looking at buying a diesel Pajero as I have always liked them but know little about their reliability/problem areas and what model is the best to buy under $20000 (cheaper hopefully)
    What would be the max Km to considering I want an auto and what should I look for?
    Any help in pointing me in the correct direction would be really great.
    John.
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Which models can you get for <$20,000 and have around 120,000km max?

Forum evidence and my reading of other websites suggests to me that a statistically significant number of NS owners with a DPF have had issues with their DPF / going into limp mode etc. (most frustrating when it happens in remote locations of course) and therefore it would be wise to steer clear of them if you can afford to. I've heard of relatively few issues in the NT onwards and I think they all have the preferred Aisin transmission, whereas I think the NS had the Jatco which was the same one my NP model had and tends to cark it around 250,000km. The Aisin transmission is far more highly regarded.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
      Which models can you get for <$20,000 and have around 120,000km max?

Forum evidence and my reading of other websites suggests to me that a statistically significant number of NS owners with a DPF have had issues with their DPF / going into limp mode etc. (most frustrating when it happens in remote locations of course) and therefore it would be wise to steer clear of them if you can afford to. I've heard of relatively few issues in the NT onwards and I think they all have the preferred Aisin transmission, whereas I think the NS had the Jatco which was the same one my NP model had and tends to cark it around 250,000km. The Aisin transmission is far more highly regarded.

I think you will find the number of NS with DPF dram was not significant. Yes there was some but there are some here with no drama at all. As for the gearbox there are many on here with well over 250,000. Ours is well over 300,000 with no problems.

The NT has more grunt and no DPF.

Low Ks mean bugger all if it hasn't been serviced correctly, not towed 3000Kg all over OZ or been driven like you stole it.

Make sure the one you buy has 17 inch wheels and not 18s.

Comment

• Keithyv
        Valued Member
        • May 2018
        • Perth

I'd be looking for a NW - you can get plenty of base models (usually manual?) for that price and a few higher models too. There are no DPFs in NWs as far as I know..
        2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
        MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• johnnywal47
          • Mar 2019
          • Ocean Grove

Thanks for that info so far, that gives me a starting point.
          JOHN.

Comment

• ticky
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2015
            • Adelaide

The early NT's do have a DPF but they are different to the NS. They give ZERO problems.

The NT had a slight motor improvement on the engine and the Aisin Auto Trans which produced more power and better economy over the NS. The NT also was upgraded to a 3ton Towing capacity.

The difference between the NT and the latest model is very minimal, mostly cosmetic.

I would definitely go for an NT or later.

When you get your Pajero, get one of M&Ms Torque Convertor lock up kits. You won't regret it. There is a thread on here with heaps of very happy customers, and I am one of them.

Also, I recommend doing the EGR mod. I paid about $140 for mine, but there are people on here that can tell you how to do it for about 20cents.

Steve
            2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X