• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pracolas
    • May 2014
    • France

TJM XGS suspension kit... advise?

Hi guys,
    I'm proposed a 5000km old TJM XGS suspension kit for my NS long...
    It comes with progressives springs.

I've never heard about this brand... I was about to go for a Terrain tamer kit, but this can be quite a bargain ...

Any advise?

Thank's
    Last edited by old Jack; 03-05-20, 11:27 PM. Reason: reply in post by mistake.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Terrain Tamer has a mixed reputation.

TJM XGS suspension has a better reputation but is normally overpriced for the quality of the components, same goes for ARB's Old Man Emu suspension. You pay $400 to $500 more for the overpriced components but save $200 to $300 on the underpriced installation.

So why is the suspension system up for sale after 5,000km?
    Will the coils spring rates suit your front and rear axle loads and not to be too low/too soft or too high/too hard?

On the Gen 3/4 Pajeo with IFS/IRS the selection of coils is critical so getting the correct coils that suit your vehicle setup and your load carrying requirements is important so you get the correct ride heights, to maintain correct suspension travel so you do not stress the driveshafts and cause unwanted activations of the ASTC system.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• MiteeWidge
      • Mar 2014
      • Townsville

Originally posted by pracolas View Post
      Hi guys,
      I'm proposed a 5000km old TJM XGS suspension kit for my NS long...
      It comes with progressives springs.

I've never heard about this brand... I was about to go for a Terrain tamer kit, but this can be quite a bargain ...

Any advise?

Thank's
      Had TGM's XGS 4000 suspension fitted 60k ago and no issues. 20k of this over corrugated gravel and unsealed roads and would happily purchase again. Suspensions are no different to tyres / oils / batteries / etc. - everyone's experience can be different. Definitely improved the ride and handling and I doubt the stock suspension would have handled some of our trips without finding the bump stops out or suffering oil leaks. Very rarely tow so can't comment how they handle under those conditions. Work on a mine site with around 40 Hilux and Landcruisers and all would have had their springs and shocks changed out in the first 5-10k. I think most original suspensions very under done on most 4wds and commercial vehicles and suspension upgrade is money well spent.
      2011 Challenger 30th Anniversary Manual , OEM nudge bar , GME 3100 UHF , seat spacers , OEM tow bar , Rydge Ryder Awning , Dueler 265/65/17's , Munji egr , Ultragauge , ABR Sidewinder Flyer dual battery box , TJM Gold 4000 suspension , Plazmaman Intercooler hoses , Stedi ST4K 28'' light bar , 2 Stedi 7'' Type X , Pedders 5899 cones , Provent 200 catch can .

Comment

• Miner
        • Apr 2019
        • Abu Dhabi

New to me also, was planning for Dobinsons but local availability took me to TJM, trust the guy in the garage as he’s also an off-roading buddy and experienced off-roader. 20k on TJM Gold Series kit with springs/shocks, 2” lift. No issues on/off road. Do tow occasionally 5-600kg unbraked trailer (bike & quad). Performing well.

2011 SWB 3.8 Gen 4-3, no metal bumpers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• pracolas
          • May 2014
          • France

Guys, thank's for your comments.

I got the ref:
          Front springs are 770FRHD52P
          Rear springs are 770RR52PT

I got numbers for shocks, but nothing corresponding to the website refs:
          Front: 11-03 N2007G
          Rear: D2008G 92565 0913

The kit was mount on a 2015 short pajero, and took out of the car because it was too har. I drive a long with double battery, and 2T trailer occasionally...

OJ (you seem to be the boss for spring rates ), what you think?

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by pracolas View Post
            Guys, thank's for your comments.

I got the ref:
            Front springs are 770FRHD52P
            Rear springs are 770RR52PT

I got numbers for shocks, but nothing corresponding to the website refs:
            Front: 11-03 N2007G
            Rear: D2008G 92565 0913

The kit was mount on a 2015 short pajero, and took out of the car because it was too har. I drive a long with double battery, and 2T trailer occasionally...

OJ (you seem to be the boss for spring rates ), what you think?

I do not have all the technical specifications for TJM coils and struts/shockers.

However the lower rubber bushes on the struts and shockers look quite lopsided and l am surprised that they are only 5,000kms old.

The coils on the other hand look in good condition.

Front Coils 770FRHD52P is a linear rate coil that requires at least 60kg of extra weight on the front axle. If this weight is not there the coils most likely be too high and too hard. This is TJM's strongest coil sited for vehicles equipped with bullbar, winch and aux battery.

Rear Coils 770RR52PT are a raised linear rate coils that is rated by TJM as +200kg of load, this is TJM's mid range coil.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• pracolas
              • May 2014
              • France

Thank's all... My guess is that kit is not for me

Comment

• Tingles
                • Sep 2011
                • Adelaide

I have had them on my NX since new (81000km). My last Paj (NT) was stock and the aftermarket suspension has transformed the handling etc. Only issue I had was incorrect front shocks initially which caused minor contact with front drive shafts. Shocks changed and problem fixed. Have not tried othee brands but very happy with XGS so far
                MY16 NX GLX, TJM steel bull bar, XGS suspension, Bridgestone Dueller 265/60x18LT, LRA 58L auxillary tank, 100aH dual battery with DC/DC charger, Rhino roof tracks and Pioneer platform, LightForce 180 Gen II LEDs, Cavalier camper trailer

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X