• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiwi1973
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • New Zealand

A couple of short videos one from Kyrgyzstan and one from Kazakhstan

Here's a couple of short 2 minute videos.

The video from Kyrgyzstan (Altyn Arashan) is of a route typically plied by big ex-army Russian 4 and 6 wheel drive trucks that have been adapted to transport tourists. I knew it would be a tough route in there, but I didn't learn until after we did that route that it is reputed to be a tough route that is too difficult for some 4wd's. This is owing to some really big rocks that you can't go around - in places the track is squeezed between the river and the cliff, so you have to be able to drive over big rocks, between the axles. My lifted Pajero handled it with relative ease. A Kyrgystan local told me his American 4x4 (Dodge Durango) can only get about half way up the valley. So again, the Pajero does not disappoint. The video doesn't really show the difficulty, and videos generally don't capture that well, but it was a stunning valley to venture into.

Since those videos were made we've more recently gone off-road over Kyrgyzstan's near 4,000 metre Tolsor Pass. That was incredible! I've not yet made the video from that one, but am slowly working on it. Incidentally I just posted a new blog on my website today.

Here's the videos:

2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.
  • benckj
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2017
    • Alexandra , New Zealand

Once again, fantastic videos and excellent scenery. Very jealous on your lifetime experience to share with family. Almost feels like Im a part of the adventure.

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

Thanks for the latest vids, brilliant.
      2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

Well I hope the boofhead that disliked your vids didn't come from here.

Keep up the good work. Awesome indeed.
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Allan2
          • May 2013
          • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

Kiwi1973, love your work, very jealous.
          Heads up not sure if this will effect you or not. There has been some ?AU tourists arrested and placed in jail for using an unregistered drone while making a travel film about their adventures. Sorry cannot remember the country google may help. It looks like it is political, there has been mention of prisoner exchange the poor tourists are being used as pawn's. Don't want to frighten you just want you to be aware.
          Regards Allan.
          2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• sharkcaver
            "2000"+ Valued Contributor
            • May 2009
            • Perth

Originally posted by Allan2 View Post
            Kiwi1973,Sorry cannot remember the country google may help.
            That would be Iran. 2 Perth locals have been in detention for 10 weeks now and still are.

And the dislikes have disappeared 24 hours later. Go figure. I sparked someones conscious maybe?
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• kiwi1973
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • New Zealand

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
              That would be Iran. 2 Perth locals have been in detention for 10 weeks now and still are.

And the dislikes have disappeared 24 hours later. Go figure. I sparked someones conscious maybe?
              I was slightly puzzled when I saw one or two dislikes on some earlier videos. Everything I put on YouTube, and my website/blog, is provided freely to everyone - all anyone has to do if it doesn't interest them is just not watch/read it.

We've just returned from a 5 day off-road loop inside the army patrolled border zone with China, which required special permits. We've visited some of the most incredible places in there that I've ever been to, so I can't wait to get my blog/videos up to date so I can start producing the videos/photos from that (I still have to finish Tolsor Pass yet). I didn't even get to see any dislikes, as it appears they vanished while I was away!

Nearly pushed it a bit too hard though a couple of days ago. We were navigating a cliff edge muddy track and had an issue. We weren't stuck, but the front wheels were in some serious muddy ruts and the wheel spin trying to progress was causing the rear end to slide towards the edge. Wasn't confidence inspiring at all, but it became clear we'd already gone past the point of no return. It turned out just fine though, because we're well equipped. I laid down recovery boards and they instantly resolved the issue. The boards dug firmly in the mud and the wheels didn't slide on the boards at all.

As for the Australian pair that are in custody in Iran, yes I was aware of that situation. It seems to be politically motivated, but that will be of little comfort to the pair (and another Australian woman), as they are being held in prison I believe. I very much wish to go to Iran at some point and believe the Iranian people to be very hospitable, but we are now very likely to change our route and leave Iran to another time. I have an idea for a route from Europe to South East Asia (Thailand/Vietnam etc), but that may require passing through Pakistan, which I'm more concerned about than Iran.
              2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• benckj
                Valued Member
                • Oct 2017
                • Alexandra , New Zealand

Can’t imagine why you would ever get a dislike on you video clips. They are awesome and I look forward to each one produced. Keep up the good work and be safe.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X