• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dstevenson
    • Jan 2012
    • Adelaide

Correct oil to use with DPF

I'm after a bit of tech advice.

Was thinking about starting to service my NS DIESEL myself now that it has a bit age on it, I've ran into a bit of confusion regarding diesel oils and the suitability of certain ones for a vehicle with a DPF, which mine has.

What does everyone use in their Pajies? Do you go to the effort of getting and using genuine oil? Anyone know who supplies Mitsubishi with their diesel oils?

I don't want to go and use something that will stuff my DPF.

Any opinion/ advice on this issue would be appreciated.

Cheers
  • Allan2
    • May 2013
    • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

Have a look at the Nulon web site I have found them very good.
    Allan
    2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• P4J3R0
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2013
      • Brisbane

Use HPR 5w-40.

I don't have a dpf though. Do some reading in here and you will find the answers.
      NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• MTD
        • Oct 2012
        • NW Brisbane

Originally posted by dstevenson View Post

Was thinking about starting to service my NS DIESEL myself now that it has a bit age on it, I've ran into a bit of confusion regarding diesel oils and the suitability of certain ones for a vehicle with a DPF, which mine has.

What does everyone use in their Pajies? Do you go to the effort of getting and using genuine oil? Anyone know who supplies Mitsubishi with their diesel oils?

Cheers

Penrite seems to be a popular choice on the forum.
        A good article on the link below explaining DPF oil specs. They and they even have a smart phone app covering their range of oils!
        Penrite Oil is a 100% Australian Owned company producing a premium range of vehicle and industrial lubricants, coolants, gear oils, hydraulic fluids and additives. Discover why Penrite is a Better Class of Oil.
        One of the last of the 08/09 NS DID GLX off the shelf!
        Cool silver, black factory bullbar (to be replaced) & full tint. 697 LT 265/65/17. NS>NT Upper manifold replacement. MM Towbar, BushSkinz IC & Sump guards, Self made cargo liner. Reverse cam. Bluetooth Aux In.

Comment

• dstevenson
          • Jan 2012
          • Adelaide

I just had a look at the Penrite website. Confused even more, it recommends about 5 different oil specs for the NS, it then suggests that I need a DPF additive in the fuel. Do people put this in?

Comment

• Patagonia
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2009
            • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

Any oil that complies to european standard ACEA C1, C2 or C3, or japs standard Jaso-DL1.

I would not go with others that say they are good but do not officialy comply.
            2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
            Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
            31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
            2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• japinka
              • Dec 2012
              • NSW

I found a few oils on the market , I just scanned the shelf at Repco , the oils suited for dpf i found are labelled so on the front of the product , there easily found because they all float up around the $60-70 mark for 5ltrs
              2008 ns , Lovells Springs & Dobinson Shocks, 285/70/17 Hankook ATM , MCC Steel bar & winch, new timing chain tensoner, DPF delete, additonal fuel tank

Comment

• Vic Shorty
                • Apr 2015
                • Victoria

The lovely people at repco suggested Penrite HPR diesel 5 5w-40. Is anyone using this for their NS? The Penrite site recommends it but says to use their enviro+ range for vehicles with DPF in the description. I am also thoroughly confused. Any input?

Comment

• polarbear8131
                  • Apr 2013
                  • Macedon Ranges, Victoria.

I have used enviro plus 5w 40 for 172k thus far and no issues. Is about $108 for 10 litres. A mate uses Nulon 5w 30 and doesn't complain either.

Comment

• Adelaide steve
                    • Oct 2014
                    • Adelaide

I use castrol DX 5/40 specific for DPF. Do oil and filter change every 7,500kms. Usually manage to pick up 2x 5lt or a 10lt when super heap have it on special. Never had a problem with it and I find it good value.
                    2013 NW VRX White. TJM colour coded bull bar, 9" led spotties dual battery, c-tek dc-dc charger, factory side steps, Kings side awning, roof bars, Spare wheel lift mod,Boo bash plates, rear air bag suspension, GME uhf, Waeco 50l fridge, tows a MDC 2018 Cruize slide forward fold Camper trailer.

past---2007 NS 3.2 Diesel. New DPF, Manifold clean, Factory bull bar,

Comment

• ticky
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2015
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by dstevenson View Post

Cheers
                      Mate, I use Nulon as well.
                      The nulon website will tell you what to use. I use their full synthetic 5W30.

Best place I have found to buy it is Supercheap Port Adelaide, but supercheap may be the same price every where.

I get 10lt for about $108, & my NT takes about 9.6lts with a filter.
                      I also change the Fuel Filter with every service, & for my next service, I will probably be switching to Donaldson Filters. Good name in Diesel filtration & about $100 for a full set, OIL, AIR & Fuel. Buy them online or on ebay.

Supercheap also carry your cabin air filter for about $50

As for Mitsubishi oil... Different Mitsubishi dealers around the country use different oil, so the idea of staying with MM to get the correct oil is a bit redundant. Portside Mitsubishi use Valvoline Semi Synthetic. There are several posts on the forum about what oils are used by what dealers. just a guess, but it may be more of a commercial decision than a best oil for your engine decision. That said, I am sure they are all good.

I chose Nulon based on Gut feeling & the independant testing they have had done against other popular oils in Australia. I have not compared the price of nulon against other oils, only against other nulon stockists. It's pricy, but dirt cheap compared to a new engine.

For what its worth, that is my opinion. Hope it helps you with your decision.

Steve
                      2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Silverfox
                        • Apr 2010
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Vic Shorty View Post
                        The lovely people at repco suggested Penrite HPR diesel 5 5w-40. Is anyone using this for their NS? The Penrite site recommends it but says to use their enviro+ range for vehicles with DPF in the description. I am also thoroughly confused. Any input?
                        HPR is not the right oil to use in an NS diesel with DPF.

You need to use the enviro plus oil.

Comment

• craka
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • Newcastle (Newie)

For NS Diesel auto needs to be ACEA C1, C2 or C3 or JASO DL-1
                          spec or higher.

Silverfox is correct
                          NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Vic Shorty
                            • Apr 2015
                            • Victoria

Thank you all for the info. I had the feeling it was not correct, but I'm illiterate when it comes to engine oil specifications. I will go pick up some enviro+ or similar.

Comment

• Silverfox
                              • Apr 2010
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Vic Shorty View Post
                              Thank you all for the info. I had the feeling it was not correct, but I'm illiterate when it comes to engine oil specifications. I will go pick up some enviro+ or similar.
                              If you go with Penrite you can use the enviro plus 5W30 or 5W40 or you can use the enviro plus DL-1 which has a 5W30 viscosity.

They're the only ones I would use in the Penrite range.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X