• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b1benno
    • Aug 2019
    • Adelaide

Recent purchase - high km first service

Hi guys

Recently purchased my NP GLX 3.2 auto, love it already.

Has been to the mechanic and had engine mounts and ancillary drive belts replaced. He didn’t identify anything else to worry much about besides he suggests rear shocks are making the noise I’m complaining about (I have another thread on that).
    I will be buying springs and shocks shortly.

It has 392k on the clock. Below are recent items I have receipts for:
    - 389k, disc rotors replaced.
    - 370k, engine light on - throttle valve actuator missing clip.
    - 364k, fuel filter sensor replaced.
    - 266k, gear oils replaced (I don’t know exactly which they were - 4.6 litres total of 80W/90 and 1.15l “GL4”?) - I’m guessing I should do these ASAP at these kays?

Previous owner did own oil and filters, including fuel, every 6 months. No receipts but I do believe him.

I am planning on changing oil and oil filter this weekend. As well as the timing chain guide, possibly the valve clearances if I’m feeling confident
    My question is what other things would make sense for me to do myself without costing the earth while I am working on it?
    With this many kms, what viscosity oil do others recommend? (I am new to diesel servicing)
    Which bushes are easily and cheaply replaced by a home simpleton (I’m no mechanic, but more than happy/capable of doing basic work)? Should I / can I replace sway bar/stabiliser bushes easily?
    The previous owner was kind enough to post me out the Haynes workshop manual last week too.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers, Ben
    b1benno

Adelaide

2004 NP Pajero 3.2 DiD GLX Auto
    Lovell-lifted, otherwise standard

Nudging 400k !
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

When I buy a new car I like to change all the oils as soon as practical ......engine, transfer, gearbox, diffs etc and all the filters. Also might want to consider brake fluid and coolant. From that I know I have got the oil in it I want and know everything is up todate.

Here's a link to a good chain guide thread.

2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• b1benno
      • Aug 2019
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
      When I buy a new car I like to change all the oils as soon as practical ......engine, transfer, gearbox, diffs etc and all the filters. Also might want to consider brake fluid and coolant. From that I know I have got the oil in it I want and know everything is up todate.

Here's a link to a good chain guide thread.

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=17446
      Cheers mate (ps - I’m a former Taswegian myself...)
      Ideally I will be replacing as much as possible at these Kay’s, for exactly the reason you suggest. But I am hoping to do the simple/key fluids and things first and try and prioritise as best I can.
      Do you have a suggestion for what I should prioritise based on above?
      Ps yes that’s the exact guide I was going to use.

I know the diesel pump and transmission are both potential future problems, but it really is a lot of car for the 3k I paid so I factored those things into my decision already.
      b1benno

Adelaide

2004 NP Pajero 3.2 DiD GLX Auto
      Lovell-lifted, otherwise standard

Nudging 400k !

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

Personally I'd do the order below.

Engine oil and filter
        At least clean air filter for now if not change depending how bad
        Auto gearbox oil change inlcuding filter....link here.....https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=15879
        Transfer oil
        Diff oils
        Coolant
        Brake fluid

Obviously if you don't know if timing chain guide has been done that needs to be up the list for me.

Re the suspension bushes if nothing feels too bad at the moment I'd leave them until other stuff done above.

Re engine oil viscosity does it use any or is it too early to know? If not known I'd use recommend viscosity for know from a good quality brand. Everyone will have a say about the best brand from their personal usage, I've used Penrite in numerous cars over the years with no issues whatsoever. Also used Nulon previously again with no issues.

Just my opinion bud.
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

Matched content

Collapse