• Show
Clear All
  • m_and_m
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by Gusontheroad View Post
    Yes please. Can't wait for this essential upgrade,
    Cool! Make sure you subscribe with you email address at my web site. This way you'll get notified directly when it's released.
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• m_and_m
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2010

An update on PB/PC lockup-mate progress.

OJ has completed a few hundred kays of road testing and the car's now back with me tonight.
      Grin from ear to ear when he dropped it off. We need to tweak 5th gear performance, and then it's just the polishing off and final testing to make it ready for release.

Then I'll be do a limited release (~3 vehicles) in Adelaide to try it in a variety of Challengers before a full release.

After that, we'll work on the auto-mate version.

So, what's the difference?
      Auto-mate will actually change the transmission gear for you when necessary. It's like it presses the + or - automatically.

The extra feature auto-mate will offer is to optimise the gear changes to keep the transmission locked up as much has possible at any speed - around town or on the hwy. It's like a whole new DRIVE mode that is optimised for fuel savings and lower transmission temperatures. Press and forget.

lockup-mate isn't press and forget at speeds below 80kph - you need to use SPORT mode to get the benefits. So, auto-mate is fully automated, lockup-mate needs some driver input if driving around town. It all depends on how you want to use it.

For my Pajero, I'm personally happy with lockup-mate performance as I use the paddles a lot. But I also understand a lot of people just want full automation, hence auto-mate. auto-mate will be $200-250 more than lockup mate though, as it needs a new harness and a more complex control module and software. ie it's not just a software tweak.
      Last edited by m_and_m; 22-03-18, 08:53 AM.
      2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
      Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Yes OJ's Challenger is back at MM4x4 for the next 4 days for updating to Version 3 of Lockup Mate.

I tested Version 1 for just over 500kms of city, suburbs, country, highway and hills driving and did a whole range of test to determine the best lockup and unlocking points in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gears.

I just finished testing Version 2 for almost 300kms of city, suburbs, country, highway and hills driving and it is very good. In the city and suburbs, using the auto in sport mode or leaving the selector in "D" and using the paddles, with some practice you can change up gears and it is like having 3 extra gears, 1st, 2nd unlocked, 2nd locked, 3rd unlocked, 3rd locked, 4th unlocked and 4th locked. The shifts are smooth but a little firmer than the slushy soft factory shifts, the rpms do not jump all over the place so it is easy to keep the engine below 2400rpm and still get very respectable performance and about a 10% improvement in fuel economy over using the paddles with the trans in "D" or Sport mode, which is about a 10% to 15% improvement over just using "D".

On country roads/highway at speeds over 80kph there is no change as the TC is already locked up in 5th by the factory AT ECU and no detectable change in fuel economy. However in the hills where you are on and off the accelerator the Lockup-Mate enables you to keep the TC locked whilst you change up and down gears, I behaves like a clutchless manual, improved engine braking and the engine/trans combination is more responsive with reduced response times and no wildly fluctuating rpms or unpredictable delays or surges. I have not tried it on the dirt but it should be a big improvement as it will enable some predictable throttle steer response

So now Challenger is back at MM4x4 for Version 3 to fine tune the 5th gear lock up and unlock profile, get the Scangauge II working so I can monitor ATF temps and to put in a lockout so the Lockup Mate will not operate until the ATF is up to the factory TC operating temp of 40C.

Plan is to next do a series of tow test with a 1800kg to 2000kg trailer, do forced "limp/self protect" modes in "D" and do the same drive using Sport Mode with Lockup-Mate OFF and the same tests again with Lockup-Mate ON. I will monitor ATF temps and fuel economy and report back.

Just like when driving in Sport mode or using the paddles in "D" changes the personality of the auto through the Adaptive Learning Function of the INVECS II, the same happens when using Lockup-Mate with the trans in either Sport Mode or "D"with the paddle shift but to a greater extent.

What we learn from the testing of Version 3 of Lockup-Mate will set us up with starting parameters for Auto-Mate which is the ultimate goal for me.

In late May I have a Simpson Crossing as a shakedown for the CSR next year, so I am looking forward to improved fuel economy, lower ATF's and improved range.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011

Well Version 3 is installed and I have been testing it around the city and suburbs for the last 3 days. I simply cannot fault it whether I drive for fuel economy, drive briskly or drive hard. The car has been transformed into a clutch less manual with quick shifts that are barely noticeable. Only time you notice it is if you are downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and you have too much speed, the change is noticeable as the difference in gear ratios between 2nd and 3rd are quite large, so I just have to train myself to downshift to 2nd at a lower speed. Lockup-Mate now requires the ATF temp to be above 40C before it operates just like the factory setup.

Using the paddles and starting in 1st, once moving change up to 2nd unlocked, wait for 2nd to lock up at about 2,000 rpm then go to 3rd at 2200 rpm and the TC stays locked up and then to 4th at 55kph and the TC stays locked up. Car is way more responsive with less accelerator input.

Scangauge II is now working so hopefully I can get some time over Easter to do some tow tests up long steep hills.

Still need to test low range and check all is ok.

All this is good preparation for Auto-Mate programming.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• coughy
            Valued Member
            • May 2014
            • Redlands Brisbane QLD

be carefull m8 with the locking up of the tranny down low
            as with my testing with a pyro in the exhaust and boost sensors the temp on the engine can climb as the load vs slip is needed but the pull power is great
            so dont load it up to much down low 2300ish and up it is fine pulls like a school kid on a nudist beach
            My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
            New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

MM4x4 and I have spent a lot of time looking at and testing the TC lockup variable operational profile of Lockup-Mate in each gear, at when to stay locked and when to unlock when there is a change in accelerator position, not only is accelerator position taken into consideration but also vehicle speed, engine rpm, engine torque output and engine load. The profile is very conservative and this gives the built in protection to engine and transmission that other lockup kits do not.

With Lockup-Mate selected ON, it just sits there and waits until you either move the gear selector to tiptronic mode or if in "Drive" use a steering wheel paddle to up or down to change a gear. Then if the all the conditions are correct the TC will lockup, if the conditions are not correct then the Lockup-Mate waits until they are correct before locking the TC up. Once locked up there is another set of conditions that are dependent on gear selected, accelerator position, vehicle speed, engine rpm and engine load that determine when the TC will unlock, you cannot forget to turn it off, it is all done automatically.

OJ.
              Last edited by old Jack; 29-03-18, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• m_and_m
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2010

Yes, I've had OJ's car for quite a few days in the last few weeks. I'm very used to my Gen 4 Paj, and it's taken a bit of getting used to the feel of the challenger.

But...now with lockup-mate (LM8) installed and how I've tuned it up....Wow, what a difference. Even if you put aside how well LM8 keeps the transmission temperatures under control, and the big fuel savings we've been seeing, it's just the way it drives now and the responsiveness to pedal/throttle control is just amazing.

I did a drive through the Adelaide Hills testing it and compared it with LM8 on and off, and when OFF the auto just feels awfully sluggish - like you're always having to 'push' the car to get it going. But with LM8 on, and driving in SPORT mode, it's a completely different experience.
                So as OJ said, the auto now feels like a really good clutchless manual. Sharp changes and responsive.
                I actually love it! Opps...did a Pajero owner actually give Challenger a compliment? Absolutely!

Be patient though, as I want to get it just right before letting it loose.

Then we'll get onto auto-mate development.
                Last edited by m_and_m; 30-03-18, 03:21 AM.

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Tow Test

Tonight the Apprentice (Paj 12) and I did a tow test comparison between driving in "D" and using Lockup-Mate in Sports Mode.

We towed a flatbed trailer loaded with hardwood pallets, total weight 1800kgs, with my PB Challenger weighing 2600kgs so that is a GCM of 4400kg which is still 1250kg less than the factory approved GCM of 5650kg.

We used the Tollgate to Crafers exit of the SE Freeway as our test run as this is a long steep climb of about 9kms and a climb of 450 metres then back down again.

We did 3 test runs.

1. Trans in "Drive" and foot flat to the floor. Lockup-Mate "OFF" and let the factory AT program operate.
                  2. Trans in Sport Mode 3rd gear with Lockup-Mate "ON" and matched the speeds that we could achieve with test #1.
                  3. Trans in Sport Mode 3 gear with Lockup-Mate "ON" and foot flat to the floor, just to see what could be achieved.

Using a Scangauge II and GPS we recorded the following data at multiple set points on the route.
                  We made sure the ATF temps were identical at the start of each run.
                  Outside air temperature was 19C-20C.
                  Challenger weight about 2600kg.
                  Trailer weighed 1800 kg, so 60% of its rated 3,000kg towing capacity.

Start, stop lights at intersection of Cross Rd, Portrush Rd, Glen Osmond Rd and SE Freeway.

Test #1 Test #2 Test #3
                  Engine Air Inlet 53C 53C 68C
                  ATF Temp 77C 77C 77C
                  Coolant Temp 93C 90C 89C
                  Speed 0 kph 0 kph 0 kph

GO Bridge. #1 #2 #3
                  Engine Air Inlet 57C 62C 71C
                  ATF Temp 88C 77C 86C
                  Coolant Temp 92C 89C 96C
                  Speed 65kph 65kph 85kph

Bottom of Tunnels. #1 #2 #3
                  Engine Air Inlet 80C 71C 73C
                  ATF 95C 77C 86C
                  Coolant Temp 99C 94C 98C
                  Speed 65kph 65kph 73kph

Measday's Bridge #1 #2 #3
                  Engine Air Inlet 76C 73C 72C
                  ATF 105C 78C 86C
                  Coolant Temp 99C 95C 100C
                  Speed 65kph 65kph 70kph

Crafers Exit, top of climb.
                  #1 #2 #3
                  Engine Air Inlet 78C 59C 73C
                  ATF 108C 81C 87c
                  Coolant Temp 100C 95C 100C
                  Speed 65kph 65kph 70kph

Then heading back down,

Crafers on ramp. #1 #2 #3
                  Engine Air Inlet 64C 59C 68C
                  ATF 111C 81C 90C
                  Coolant Temp 90C 88C 89C
                  Speed 75kph 82kph 85kph

Measday's Bridge. #1 #2 #3
                  Engine Air Inlet 51C 40C 43C
                  ATF 109C 81C 93C
                  Coolant Temp 83C 84C 89C
                  Speed 90kph 90kph 90kph

Bottom of Tunnels. #1 #2 #3
                  Engine Air Inlet 37C 33C 35C
                  ATF 109C 77C 88C
                  Coolant Temp 83C 84C 84C
                  Speed 90kph 90kph 90kph

GO Bridge. #1 #2 #3
                  Engine Air Inlet 33C 29C 30C
                  ATF 102C 72C 77C
                  Coolant Temp 85C 85C 84C
                  Speed 90kph 90kph 90kph

Start intersection. #1 #2 #3
                  Engine Air Inlet 31C 30C 30C
                  ATF 94C 69C 77C
                  Coolant Temp 86C 85C 85C
                  Speed 0kph 0kph 0kph

Summary;

With Lockup-Mate operating so that in 3rd gear the torque convertor was locked up rather than being unlocked as it is with the factory program, there was a 27C decrease in ATF temperature at the end of the 9km /450m climb, also a 11C lower EIA was recorded.

What was the biggest surprise was the rate at which the ATF did not cool down on the decent when the trans was in "Drive" and the torque convertor is unlocked to save fuel. There was up to a 32C difference between the unlocked torque converter and the locked torque convertor with the trans selected in 4th for engine braking to provide engine braking to control decent speed.

So based on the above, I am comfortable with saying the use of Lockup-Mate not only reduces ATF temps but also engine air inlet temperatures as the engine does not have to work as hard to maintain the same speed. Also the rate of cool down of the ATF was greater with a locked torque convertor compared to an unlocked torque converter.

The test also reaffirmed the factory 3,000kg tow capacity is not a realistic figure in a touring situation, maybe towing a boat in the suburbs but the definitely not in the country especially when there are steep hills.

I did not manage to force a "full self-protect limp mode" where engine power is cut, trans is locked in 2nd gear and the trans gear selector flashes but I did get the firsts stage "self-protect limp mode" and this occurred when I used the trans in "Drive" and several minutes after the top of the climb. The trans was locked in 3rd and would not change up as I started the descent from Crafers for a short period.

OJ.

Comment

• amec
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Wamberal

Sounds very promising.
                    PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

Good write up OJ.
                      I,ve had mine fitted for about 2 months but have not really had a chance to test towing a similar weight or do a highway test. I would expect the results to be the same. many a time I have coasted down a long windy mountain drive and as you say the trans temperature takes for ever just to drop even 1 degree! The lock up kit will be invaluable on mountain climbs as well as highway runs. Towing 1800kg as you were is getting close to the total weight that I feel is comfortable for the majority of smaller engined 4wds in a touring situation. I would not tow anything over 2500kg with my NW and even then if it was often I would be looking at an ecu remap. Also shows the value of having an after market monitoring gauge fitted to let you know what is really happening with your vehicle. You didn't mention fuel usage but there will definately be some savings as I see my usage drop by at least 10% when the torque converter is in lock mode. This is just a bonus as like most I have the kit to ensure longevity of the transmission. M-and-M has produced a product that really should have been standard from the factory!
                      Crafers Exit, top of climb.
                      #1 #2 #3
                      Engine Air Inlet 78C 59C 73C
                      ATF 108C 81C 87c
                      Coolant Temp 100C 95C 100C
                      Speed 65kph 65kph 70kph ...Great reduction in temperatures. Imagine the same run on a 33 degree day in the summer! Shows the value of this kit......

To anyone considering one of these kits I would say..buy one...

Looking forward now to Sandgropers review whilst towing his set-up.

cheers
                      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

Thanks Dicko, yes MM4x4 is doing a great job on the tuning of Lockup-Mate for the Challenger/Triton it really has transformed the car around the city, suburbs and hills, driving now that it is a “clutchless manual”. It has improved it as a tow vehicle without over-riding the factory programmed auto trans self protections which other lockup kits on the market do not, because it is monitoring engine load, vehicle speed, gear selected and accelerator position.

Now that we are happy with towing the work starts on the low range/offroad profiles.

All of the above testing also enables us to learn what we need to know to do the programing of the shift patterns for Auto-Mate. This will get the auto performing in fully automatic mode for the driver that does not want to have to think about what gear they should be in.

There will be immediate saving in fuel cost and long term savings in maintenance costs, combine this with a much better drive experience and this will become a “no brainer mod”.

OJ.

Comment

What is required for the conversion

Hi OJ. Just trying to understand the conversion for the lockup mate. Could you please clarify the following. 1. Does the module just fit in to the obd2 connector. 2. It appears from the thread that a wire needs soldering in to the wire loom, where would that be and is it easy to get to. 3. There is obviously a switch to turn off and on. Is that a separate switch that needs fitting in to the dash or on the module. 4. Is it easy enough to take out when sending the Challenger in for serviceto MM. I tow a 2.3 ton caravan and watch for the auto not in lock up mode and adjust as necessary. I can see this would be a great addition to the Challenger. Appreciate your feed back. Richard

Comment

• m_and_m
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by fajer View Post
                            Hi OJ. Just trying to understand the conversion for the lockup mate. Could you please clarify the following. 1. Does the module just fit in to the obd2 connector. 2. It appears from the thread that a wire needs soldering in to the wire loom, where would that be and is it easy to get to. 3. There is obviously a switch to turn off and on. Is that a separate switch that needs fitting in to the dash or on the module. 4. Is it easy enough to take out when sending the Challenger in for serviceto MM. I tow a 2.3 ton caravan and watch for the auto not in lock up mode and adjust as necessary. I can see this would be a great addition to the Challenger. Appreciate your feed back. Richard
                            Hi Richard,
                            I can answer your question - as I'm the developer of lockup-mate

The control module has a cable that connects to the OBD2 port to read the status of the car (speed, RPM, gearing, etc). The kit includes a Y-splitter cable so you can also still use your existing OBD2 device (eg. scan gauge)

To install, you just need to cut one wire. The wire is from the transmission lockup-solenoid to the AT ECU, and you connect my harness to the two ends of the wire. This wire is easily accessible at AT ECU, located near where the steering column goes through the firewall. ie near the top of the brake pedal.

There is an on/off switch with an LED that clips to the A-Pillar - very easy to install.
                            The LED switches on when the lockup is engaged, so it's easy very to tell. The LED/switch combo is located on the A-pillar so it's within easy sight of the driver. The LED automatically dims when the headlights are turned on.

Prior to service you only need to disconnect the OBD2 cable. When disconnected the internal a relay is closed so it connects the 'cut wire' back together and it operates like normal (ie as if it wasn't there).

You can read more details at web site mm4x4.com.au You can also subscribe with your email address to receive a notification when it's released.

Comment

Thank you for the update. Most informative. IHave already logged my details on the website so will wait for the release. Cheers

Comment

• m_and_m
                                Valued Member
                                • Mar 2010

After a week and a half of final improvements and testing (and about 2000km of testing in total) , lockup-mate and the Challenger is back with OJ for final testing and measurements.
                                He now has the 1st production release unit in his car.
                                I've now completed:
                                . tuning the lock/unlock profile for all gears
                                . added self diagnostic to confirm installation is ok.
                                . added two modes ; 1. use the throttle pedal (default mode); or 2. ignore it. Using the pedal makes the drivability of the car better under normal conditions. Ignoring pedal put all the responsibility on the driver to ensure the right gear is chosen. Ignoring the pedal is great for people who love full manual control, and driving it like a clutchess manual.
                                . 4LLc - fully automatic detection (high or low range), and locks up from 1st gear. In high range (2H,4H, 4HLC) it locks up from 2nd gear.
                                . lots of testing to determine that locking up in 2nd in high range (rather than 1st gear) give best performance
                                . after cold start, it monitors the transmission oil temperature and only starts lockup once it is at normal temps (>40degC -just like the factory AT ECU does). This make the lockup engagement and the gear changes smoother.

I'll be releasing it on the web-site soon. If you subscribe with your email address on the site with your email address you'll be notified immediately.

Then attention turns to auto-mate development, which does all the gear changing for you. It's like a new DRIVE mode optimised for maximising lockup - hence lowest transmission temperatures and best fuel economy. Ideal for the laziest of us

This weekend we'll be out and about measuring the real improvements having a lockup-mate achieves. Nothing like getting real-world test results to backup any claims.

Not long now. The wait is nearly over

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X