• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

After reading all this, I'm trying to figure the type that I've purchased in the past multiple times. The plugs were black and very sticky. You then coat it in what was termed an rubber cement. I'm confident it wasn't just a lubricant as it stayed around once things set. These plugs were in a packet of 5 between plastic, but were separated as if they ended up touching they would stick together really bad-couldn't get them apart.

I drove around for years with some of those plugs (in falcons, camry etc etc, not 4wd). More than one tire shop admitted that they just used those plugs when repairing customers tyres.

Anyone know which type I used?

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Stu,

Sound like you were using cold chemical vulcanising plugs, and these are the best external temporary tyre plug you can use.
      Either Tip Top Rema or Tech are the most common brands, Tech is available through Repco.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Having Fun
        • Jun 2015
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
        Anyone want to speculate how long those brown plugs would last in a bag in the dark? 2 years? 10? 20?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are pretty much a hit & miss deal out of the packet, brand new. I've had experience supporting crews of guys cutting verges with ride on mowers & the tyres on those get staked A LOT. The company that owned the ride on's wouldn't buy decent plugs, so we were struggling, trying to plug up holes with those brown things. Some would work, some wouldn't

We used to use Bridgestone stores to repair the tyres properly once we were able to get the ride on back onto the trailer & take it to them - never once had any issues with them declining to repair a tyre because we'd put a brown plug/s into it.

Just my experience.

Comment

• dhula
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2012
          • South of Perth

There is much confusing and conflicting advise about which type to use depending on where you ask that it's hard to know 100% for sure what you can, can't, should or shouldn't do, this thread included.

For me personally I've been using the brown wax type for many years with great success on cars, 4wd, motorbikes and in applications that are a little out of the norm so am happy to continue using them.
          If done well and taking care then IMO they are a good bit of gear that is readily available and keep you on the road to get you home.
          2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
          2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            Hi Stu,

Sound like you were using cold chemical vulcanising plugs, and these are the best external temporary tyre plug you can use.
            Either Tip Top Rema or Tech are the most common brands, Tech is available through Repco.

OJ.
            Thanks for your time to bother to explain OJ.
            I have used over the years many what I now know are wax plugs without issue.
            I also see many used on tractor tyres & mower tyres.
            But as you point out, depends what you want & where you are, pressure in tyres & how good A repair you would like?

Why not have the rite plugs ?? Glued plugs

& they should keep better along with the sealed glue tubes as you have pointed out if you don't use them for 10 years!

This passes the logic test in my eyes & i'm A logical man
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

To me the most critical difference between an emergency brown wax plugs and cold chemical vulcanising plugs is the wax type fill and expand in the hole, but can leak if multiple plugs are required and in high ambient temperatures. The cold chemical vulcanising plugs, melt/glue to the tyre rubber and physically become a part of the tyre rubber through the cold chemical vulcanising process. In the USA these are deemed a legal permanent repair, however in Australia a legal tyre repair requires the tyre to be removed off the rim and inspected for structural damage and then either a mushroom plug or a radial patch followed by tyre liner sealer applied.

If your travels are regional and coastal then the wax plugs are a good emergency tyre repair but if you travel remote, heavy and off road then cold chemical vulcanising plugs are the best and most reliable plug system.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

Thanks oj. The ones I used weren't real expensive at all from memory either

Comment

• mongoose
                  • Aug 2007

I have an ARB kit, not sure if I have ever opened it and also have an R&R bead breaker never used but good insurance when away from civilisation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  NW Pajero VR-X
                  Currently stock

Comment

• kleinh17
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Germany

I'm lost, Rema TipTop has self-vulcanizing sets.. e.g. page 15 and page 19 (with sealing units (grey)). What is this now, self-vulcanizing or cold-vulcanizing?

PS: In Germany we use Rema TipTop since I was a kid (and probably long before) - to repair the tubes of our bicycles (with patches). I don't think there is any other brand being sold by bike shops.
                    Pajero V80 2016 (NX) 3.2 DiD, OME 914/918 springs with 90006/90033 shocks, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70R17, DIY side steps, Rhino Rack rails and Upracks roof rack, Darche HighView RTT, LED working lights, backdoor table (nothing wrong with me, Ronny)

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by kleinh17 View Post
                      I'm lost, Rema TipTop has self-vulcanizing sets.. e.g. page 15 and page 19 (with sealing units (grey)). What is this now, self-vulcanizing or cold-vulcanizing?

PS: In Germany we use Rema TipTop since I was a kid (and probably long before) - to repair the tubes of our bicycles (with patches). I don't think there is any other brand being sold by bike shops.
                      The repair kits listed in the linked catalogue on pages 18 & 19 are only suitable to cross ply tyre's and not radials.

Kits for radial tyre's are on page 23.

OJ.

Comment

• Drewan
                        • Apr 2017
                        • Adelaide

Way back in the dark ages there was a ropy stuff you just kept shoving in that actually worked, and for the life of me cant remember whats its called . Just read the entire thread in the hope of enlightenmen, and Nope ill just stick with slime and a spare tube.
                        Over capitalized NK.I'm running out of things to add to it it died , now a SWB NJ with all the good stuff from the NK on it .

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011

This thread;

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X