• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrFanny
    • Aug 2019
    • Bride's Bane

275/70R18 - any rubbing?

G'day guys, bought a used VRX a few week ago - love it!!

Got a 40mm lift, EGR delete and dyno tune. Went from 450nm and billows of smoke to 600nm and not a speck of black! What a beast!

Just wondering if anyone has managed to fit a 275/70R18 tyre to their Pajero, ideally with a lift already so I can compare?

Maybe if it's just the mudguards there are some aftermarket guards I could fit?

If not, how about 265/70R18?

Thanks guys!

P.s just disregard thoughts about legalities for now please.
    Last edited by MrFanny; 27-08-19, 02:38 PM.
  • DaKaptin
    • Mar 2012
    • Brisbane, Qld

I have read elsewhere that on unlifted cars at full lock/compression that there is rubbing on the little mud guards in FRONT of the front tyres (if you still have a stock front bar). I have read elsewhere also that those with lifts escape this issue so that its ok to go this size without any rubbing issues.

I have also read here from others that if you are NOT using spare wheel lift kit then it even fits there too! But only just.

Note to just keep in mind legalities for the size vs your state regs and the Odo/speedo issues too

But this is all heresay from me because i have no practical experience of doing this myself yet so cant 100% confirm
    2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Unless you do a diff drop, you do not gain any clearance for bigger tyre's by doing a suspension lift. When doing a suspension lift all you are doing is changing the static ride height position within the existing suspension travel range.
      Increasing the overall tyre diameter by 26mm to 30mm and keep the same width seems to be the most common tyre upsize choice. If you also start increasing the tyre width then you can have clearance issues at full tuck and 3/4 to full steering lock. Whist this condition is rarely used for on road driving, it is a common suspension and steering position when off roading.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• MrFanny
        • Aug 2019
        • Bride's Bane

Thanks boys!

265/70R18 seems the safest bet. For clearance, more than 25mm and it looks like it'll to rub on the back of the bullbar, only a bit of rubber but probably best not to hack it up - and I don't wanna be one of those guys without mudflaps either.

It's gonna be BFG KO2 or Michelin LTX A/T 2.

Comment

• denmonkey
          • Oct 2017
          • Newcastle NSW

I've got hankook dynapro atm in a 275/65/18 . needed to remove the mud flap thingies from the front wheel arches and bend back the supports. No issues otherwise.
          With a bullbar now on, it's not a problem.
          thats also with a 2inch lift

Comment

• no_brainer
            • Feb 2015
            • Sydney NSW

I've been looking at a set of new tyres on 17s and punching a few details in reveals a vast difference in the actual size of the tire.

I was searching different brands of 265/70/r17 and between different brands that was almost 1.5cm difference in overall diameter. The tyre I've chosen to go with is the
            Toyo Open Country M/T. At $240 a corner $1200 for 5 is pretty decent.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by no_brainer View Post
              I've been looking at a set of new tyres on 17s and punching a few details in reveals a vast difference in the actual size of the tire.

I was searching different brands of 265/70/r17 and between different brands that was almost 1.5cm difference in overall diameter. The tyre I've chosen to go with is the
              Toyo Open Country M/T. At $240 a corner $1200 for 5 is pretty decent.
              Theoretical tyre size is based on the carcass size so the physical overall diameter of HT to MT tyre's can differ significantly because the tread on the MT in much thicker.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

The theoretical diameter of a 275/70R18 is 842mm and is 68mm larger in diameter than the standard factory 265/60R18 at 776mm. I doubt very much if these will fit without rubbing. The auto trans will be very unhappy turning these tyre's.

OJ.

Comment

• MrFanny
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Bride's Bane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                  The theoretical diameter of a 275/70R18 is 842mm and is 68mm larger in diameter than the standard factory 265/60R18 at 776mm. I doubt very much if these will fit without rubbing. The auto trans will be very unhappy turning these tyre's.

OJ.

Well now you've got my attention, don't want to strain the trans - is 265/70R18 likely to wear significantly on the trans too?

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by MrFanny View Post
                    Well now you've got my attention, don't want to strain the trans - is 265/70R18 likely to wear significantly on the trans too?
                    The Aisin Auto is a very strong trans, the problem is the high final gear ratios and poor electronic control. The factory diameter tyre of 776mm is ideal for those towing heavy, going up 1 size to a 265/70R17 or 265/65R18 is an increase of 26.5mm in diameter, this is the most common up size tyre run by those that go off road, outback tourers and light to medium weight tow-ers. Once you go larger diameter then any gains off-road are offset by increased fuel consumption, the Torque Convertor being unlocked more often, increased ATF temperatures which reduce ATF service life and increased air inlet temperatures because the engine has to work much harder. If you travel away from the major cities then you also need to consider the availability and price of any size tyre you are considering. Increasing the width as well as the diameter increased the extra load even more.

265/70R18 is 53mm larger in diameter than standard so it is an illegal fit without engineers certification as the Pajero is fitted with ESC.
                    This is not a common size tyre so range is limited and prices are $50 to $75 a tyre more expensive than the same brand tyre in a 265/65R18.
                    See the entire range of 265/70R18 tyres available from JAX Tyres & Auto. Order online or call JAX Tyres & Auto on 1300 367 897 for the best advice and best 265/70R18 prices.

See the entire range of 265/65R18 tyres available from JAX Tyres & Auto. Order online or call JAX Tyres & Auto on 1300 367 897 for the best advice and best 265/65R18 prices.

OJ.
                    Last edited by old Jack; 06-09-19, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X