• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hatto
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2013
    • Mandurah WA

Cut Abber tank down?

I've got a 70L Abber water tank in the rear seat well at the moment. The thing is I just don't need that much water on board. Obviously I can just put in what I need but then its wasted space. I thought about having it cut down so say 40L which would give me enough room in the well to mount my 2nd battery and a dc-dc charger. At the moment my 2nd battery is under the bonnet with a red arc VSR. I've always wanted to put in a dc-dc charger but just have no room under the bonnet and I've also wanted to use an AGM deep cycle as my 2nd battery but haven't due to them not being idea for the hot under bonnet conditions. So I found a local plastic welder the quote me on cutting the tank down and re-welding the end on. $300!!! Spending this is out of the question. Anyone tried diy plastic welding?
    Maybe I'll sell the tank and buy a smaller one.
    Any ideas welcome.
    Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
    ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Sell it and buy a smaller tank. Definitely wouldn't cut it down. What about 2 x 20 litre plastic heavy duty jerry cans?
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• dhula
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2012
      • South of Perth

Agree with Dicko
      Sell the one you've got (unless you want to keep it for Ron of course :-) ) and buy a smaller one. Cutting what you have will cost a mint and once it's cut down then you might not be able to sell it later as it'll be modified to suit your needs and not always someone elses.
      I've tried plastic welding on some smaller stuff (dunny Vv, motorbike plastics, lunch boxes) and been relatively successful but I've never tried something like a water tank where a leek ruins your day. Plenty of vids on Utube to look at (isn't there always) and get some skillz though.
      2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
      2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

I'm in the same situation, with a 70 litre (unknown brand) water tank under the storage system, which is much more than I normally need - but because of the inbuilt storage system, any additional space I can free up won't be all that useful.

I've taken to siphoning water in, so I know how much I've added before each trip, rather than simply fill to overflowing.

Following a suggestion from a friend, I'm also thinking about buying a garden water flow meter, to see if that keeps suitably accurate track of the water in & out of the tank:

For $40, if it doesn't work, it's not a huge loss. If it works adequately, I think this will be my answer.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

These are supposed to be a great gauge, but double + a bit on the bunnings job:

Hatto, have you emailed Abber direct to see if he will do a custom job without cutting your existing one. I suspect cost will be similar to the chop shop job, then if you sell your old one, you will be miles in front.....that said, you have to get abber to make a custom one I guess.

I enquired with these guys when I was considering a tank:

It was a while back now, and they had a range of pre-made tanks to choose from (cant find their pdf now), but in the end, I just went with water jerrie cans - I usually carry 2 x 10L, 1 x 5L and have more water than I ever need. Saved a motza not having a custom/moulded tank. I would last 3 months on 70L, hence I never went with the abber tank.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X