• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

EGR Delete - One thing I don't understand

Okay, this has been on my mind for a while.

If you do an EGR delete and then you have an accident, say you rear end another car by failing to brake in time, and your car is taken by flatbed to a repairer as its not drivable, then surely there is a chance that the insurance cover will be declared null and void because your car is technically roadworthy?

On the flip side, this article suggests that the insurance can't decline to cover the damage unless the "insurer's interests have been prejudiced" by the modification / condition of the car, e.g. if the tyres are unroadworthy and the car is hit by somebody else then of course the unroadworthy tyres didn't cause the accident and so they can't say they won't cover it. https://insurancelaw.org.au/factshee...sed-factsheet/

HOWEVER, of course with an EGR delete it's quite a high level illegality so surely there is a chance that a repairer (especially one that does lots of work for an insurance mob) may notify the insurance mob and the insurer tries to decline cover, and even if they can't do that they may report the illegality of the EGR mod to, I don't know, whatever authority would fine you big money for making such a high level illegal mod? (e.g. Police / EPA.) And what about if the accident has injured or killed somebody and the police are involved and the car even perhaps impounded for a roadworthiness check?

Are none of the thousands of EGR deleters even remotely worried about this kind of thing?
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
    Okay, this has been on my mind for a while.

If you do an EGR delete and then you have an accident, say you rear end another car by failing to brake in time, and your car is taken by flatbed to a repairer as its not drivable, then surely there is a chance that the insurance cover will be declared null and void because your car is technically roadworthy?

On the flip side, this article suggests that the insurance can't decline to cover the damage unless the "insurer's interests have been prejudiced" by the modification / condition of the car, e.g. if the tyres are unroadworthy and the car is hit by somebody else then of course the unroadworthy tyres didn't cause the accident and so they can't say they won't cover it. https://insurancelaw.org.au/factshee...sed-factsheet/

HOWEVER, of course with an EGR delete it's quite a high level illegality so surely there is a chance that a repairer (especially one that does lots of work for an insurance mob) may notify the insurance mob and the insurer tries to decline cover, and even if they can't do that they may report the illegality of the EGR mod to, I don't know, whatever authority would fine you big money for making such a high level illegal mod? (e.g. Police / EPA.) And what about if the accident has injured or killed somebody and the police are involved and the car even perhaps impounded for a roadworthiness check?

Are none of the thousands of EGR deleters even remotely worried about this kind of thing?
    You're over-thinking the problem. You're on the money with "didn't cause the accident...", so the insurance can't be voided for irrelevant defects. It doesn't mean a dodgy insurance company won't try, so all owners need to be aware of their rights, and be prepared to defend them.

The insurance company would need to demonstrate that the accident could have been avoided but for the presence of the defect i.e. if the defect wasn't there, the accident would not have happened. How will an EGR delete cause an accident?

The illegality is a different issue, which doesn't feed into the insurance question. Yes, a repairer might find an EGR delete and report you but I think you over-estimate the "level of illegality" - in the grand scheme of problems facing our law enforcers today, EGR functionality is a long way down the list, and I doubt if any repairers actually care. An EGR delete emits more NOx, but allows the engine to run more efficiently, emitting less CO2 and particulates, and there are significantly fewer issues with DPFs clogging / regens increasing emissions / flatbed tows because the engine goes into limp mode and can't pull the skin of a custard.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
      Valued Member
      • May 2017
      • Sydney

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      You're over-thinking the problem.
      Wouldn’t be the first time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Wouldn’t be the first time
        I recognise it, because I'm so good at it myself.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• koshari
          • Oct 2018
          • gippsland

can only speak for myself , but iam not.
          having said that i have been known to jay walk occasionally as well.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
            Valued Member
            • May 2017
            • Sydney

Originally posted by koshari View Post
            can only speak for myself , but iam not.
            having said that i have been known to jay walk occasionally as well.
            Yeah I get that mate, but the fine for jay walking isn’t up to $15,000

Comment

• koshari
              • Oct 2018
              • gippsland

Yeah I get that mate, but the fine for jay walking isn’t up to $15,000

it is if you do a LOT of jaywalking :-)

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

Nope.
                2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

To tell the truth Heavy pizzaz...I couldnt care less. I doubt that there has ever been an accident anywhere on the planet that was caused by an egr delete...

Anyone is welcome to prove otherwise...
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• dhula
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2012
                    • South of Perth

I'm not worried because my EGR hasn't been deleted/defeated.
                    I may have fitted a <$1 resistor temporarily in the wiring loom to overcome a fault so I can continue to drive the vehicle safely while I determine how to fix the problem permanently.
                    2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                    2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• dbdb
                      • Aug 2008
                      • Adelaide Hills

I don't believe they are. And that might answer your question about how much of an issue this is. It isn't. And a repairer is unlikely to look for anything that will complicate getting paid for the repair.
                      14 NW GLX-R automatic, dual battery, Icom 440 UHF, redarc tow pro, Bushskinz bash plates, light bar, Dobinsons suspension, HPD front mount intercooler, ARB bull bar and other stuff.
                      04 NP GLX now gone

Pajero Service Manual link

Comment

• Paj11
                        • Jun 2017
                        • Sydney

I am unsure why any repairer would check anything like that when you have a bingle, they would more likely check brakes, suspension, tyres and driveline, on the other hand if you were blowing excessive smoke and you got reported to the EPA then I would worry a little then.
                        2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2017
                          • Sydney

Originally posted by koshari View Post
                          it is if you do a LOT of jaywalking :-)
                          Haha this made me laugh after a long day. Thanks.

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by dhula View Post
                            I'm not worried because my EGR hasn't been deleted/defeated.
                            I may have fitted a <$1 resistor temporarily in the wiring loom to overcome a fault so I can continue to drive the vehicle safely while I determine how to fix the problem permanently.

Good move....temp repair whilst waiting for Mitsubishi's service centre find a fix for the manifold build up of crud....I like it.
                            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• koshari
                              • Oct 2018
                              • gippsland

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                              Good move....temp repair whilst waiting for Mitsubishi's service centre find a fix for the manifold build up of crud....I like it.

I been waiting so long i have actually forgotton where in the loom i actually placed that resistor, good luck finding it 😉

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X