• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevecarstens
    • Jul 2019
    • sydney

Weights

Hi everyone, i have a question regarding towing, our paj has a 2500 gvm and ball weight of 250, our caravan has a atm of 1700, gtm1586 and taree mass of 1400. So whats the total that we can load the paj and van without being over weight? Thanks for the answers.
  • chippy4x4
    • Apr 2009
    • adelaide

Originally posted by stevecarstens View Post
    Hi everyone, i have a question regarding towing, our paj has a 2500 gvm and ball weight of 250, our caravan has a atm of 1700, gtm1586 and taree mass of 1400. So whats the total that we can load the paj and van without being over weight? Thanks for the answers.
    the 2500kg is your max tow weight, then there is a tow bar downward weight which is the downward force on the hitch. Then your have your GCM which is the total combined weight of vehicle, towed vehicle and everything in them, eg fuel,passengers luggage etc
    Last edited by chippy4x4; 02-08-20, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

GVM is actually the total weight of the loaded tow vehicle. GCM (Gross Combined Mass) is the total weight of everything.

With a van that size, you are fine with GCM. But it's the tow ball weight added to the vehicle which often puts it over the GVM. I assume your van will have a tow ball weight of around 170kg so allow for that when loading the Paj with your gear and passengers.
      The GVM of the car will be kerb mass +payload+tow ball weight = 2500kg MAX

I'd also highly recommend a trip to a weigh bridge with all the gear aboard and the van attached.
      Last edited by Ian H; 01-08-20, 06:03 PM.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Steve,

A 2005 3.8 EFI LWB Pajero has,
        A GVM of 2760kg.
        A Kerb of 2050kg
        A Payload of 710kg.
        minus 170kg towball download
        leaves a balance of 540kg for payload such as ;

Fuel, Accessories fitted (Aux battery, bar, winch, aux fuel tank, roof rack, towbar, storage system), Driver and passengers and any cargo, so the 540kg will get consumed pretty quickly.

The minimum legal ride heights when load are 460mm front and 477mm rear, measured from the centre of the wheel hub to the underside of the wheel arch in a vertical line.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• exceededmyself
          • Jul 2020
          • Armadale

Weights

I have that same model. Very recently I have installed heavy duty Pedders coils on the back, due to an unfortunate caravan trip with weight up around the max. It is my belief that this might stop the dreaded companion shafts popping out due to suspension sag. For example after jettisoning about 170kg of passengers and luggage, it stopped happening. So yes I did install one new upgraded companion shaft/circlip to be safe but then did the springs because thats the root cause of it I reckon. Remember Mitsi will stick nice comfy ride springs on in the factory that are not really suited to heavy loads.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X