• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • El_Freddo
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2018
    • Bridgewater, Vic

Originally posted by chrisfarru View Post
    Dear Bennie, If you bothered to read my post I said I wished I got a Provent but it said clearly it won't fit with my snorkel. The can was just too big for the location. The Provent can was only $50 more than the Ryco
    Dear chrisfarru,

I detect your sincere sarcasm and did read your opening post. No wish of a Provent mentioned, just that it wouldn’t fit. I’m sure there’s another space that could be utilised with some thought put into it if that was the item you really wanted. What sort of snorkel are you running to not have room for a provent catch can?

What I was questioning in the Facebook/Twitter/wherever quote is how are injectors leaking due to a catch can? I don’t see the link between the two and in my mind it can’t happen. What could have happened is the catch can issue got the dude or their mechanic to scrutinise an issue and they happened to find the leaking injectors, then the catch can issue.

I can understand how the built up pressure would pop seals and the dipstick. That would be concerning.

Glad you worked it out quickly too. Nothing worse than a problem you can’t figure out while it continues to cause you issues.

All the best.

Cheers

Bennie
    2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
      ProVent® Style Universal Oil Separator

ProVent 200 Catch Can

ProVent® Style Oil Catch Can

Which one is genuine?
      No idea but if I was to have a guess, I would say that the ones that have the description “Provent Style” are unlikely to be genuine.
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by El_Freddo View Post
        ...No wish of a Provent mentioned, just that it wouldn’t fit. I’m sure there’s another space that could be utilised with some thought put into it if that was the item you really wanted. What sort of snorkel are you running to not have room for a provent catch can?...

Bennie
        Bennie,
        I have the same issue and would love to here where you suggest fitting a Provent Catch can in a Gen 4 diesel with a snorkel. I also have a second battery in an ARB tray.
        Infact, I bought a genuine Provent and have the capacity to make/engineer custom brackets and mounts but was unable to find room anywhere under the bonnet for a satisfactory install. I ended up having to sell the new unused Provent as ‘second hand’ for a loss.
        I have a Safari snorkel but I am aware that Airtec also impede the fitting of a Provent catch can.
        I would genuinely like to fit one and look forward to your suggestions.

ps it’s only an online chat about catch cans. chrisfarru only made the initial post to share the information he was given and help other forum members. Maybe lest try to be a bit more laid back and friendly??
        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• El_Freddo
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2018
          • Bridgewater, Vic

Geopaj, I’m still in the dark as to how your snorkel is routed.

Without seeing the setup and engine bay in person I can’t help. My comment is based on the amount of room under the bonnet of the Pajero. Try fitting a dual battery into a Subaru engine bay, let alone other devices! Gob smacked at how much room is in there.

Anyone got a pic of the RHS of the engine bay around the air box that shows the routing of this snorkel?

Cheers

Bennie
          2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

I have the airtek snorkel in my NW and mounted the provent where the second battery normally sits. . Has worked fine for over 5 years.
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• chrisfarru
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2010
              • Central Coast NSW

I have a second battery so no place there either.
              NS 3.2 - Roo Bar, Warn Winch, UHF, Bilstein/Lovells, Engine/tranny watchdog, HikeIT, LED headlights, EGR delete, DPF delete, Catch Can

Comment

• Two Emms
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2020
                • Mansfield, Vic

I have no snorkel and installed my provent in the standard fashion.

But I will pose this question as it may lead to a solution when the engine bay is crowded.

How long can the hoses be to a catch can??

If the hoses can be stupid long, it may be possible to put the can in a weird location like behind the passenger side headlight or down beside the transfer case.

It's a bit of a strange question , but there's some pretty smart folks here who may have an answer
                2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• swys42
                  • Oct 2019
                  • Aldinga Beach

What code did you get when the hose popped off out of my own experience. I fitted a provent catch can the new ones that have the valve in filter instead of top and after 800kms i have a map sensor P0107 low voltage error. Have gone over hoses and cant see anything but potentially there could be a tear somewhere i cant see.

Have ordered a new map sensor as that is what is recommended so i hope thats all it is and new catch can is just a coincidence.

Comment

• rath
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Warrawee, NSW

Originally posted by swys42 View Post
                    What code did you get when the hose popped off out of my own experience. I fitted a provent catch can the new ones that have the valve in filter instead of top and after 800kms i have a map sensor P0107 low voltage error. Have gone over hoses and cant see anything but potentially there could be a tear somewhere i cant see.

Have ordered a new map sensor as that is what is recommended so i hope thats all it is and new catch can is just a coincidence.
                    Were you able to get this fixed with the new MAP sensor?
                    I think I see the same issue - I have a catch can installed in Feb this year and have done about 2k thereafter. I have seen P0107 error codes pop up a couple of times within the last month itself. My visit to the mechanic hasn't solved anything

Comment

• whats_that_Rattle
                      • Dec 2020
                      • Brisbane

I have (had) one of these catch cans on my 2015 Triton 4D56 motor & I had issues with it from day one. On the second day the pressure relief valve became stuck between open & closed position.The whistle it made was quite embarrassing.

This was caused by a tiny piece of plastic left over from the molding process wedged in between the valve & the chamber. When I removed the piece of plastic it went great for a couple of months but then for no reason I had exactly the same issue as chrisfarru.
                      My Triton has a better flowing intercooler, a snorkel and a bigger diameter exhaust system & dump pipe & I think this was causing the issues with the Catch Can.

It started blowing the dipstick out & when you backed off the rpm & let the motor come back down to idle the injectors would make a terrible metallic clicking racket.
                      At first I thought I had broken a rocker it was so loud. But if U turned it off & then restarted the noise was gone for a few K's, but unfortunately it kept coming back.
                      I tried everything & even had the valves adjusted the intake manifold cleaned but nothing fixed it. I even put a new suction control valve in it (which made the noise less loud) but didn't stop the pressure build up.

Anyway, just by luck I drove it with the standard OEM Blow-by setup & the noise & pressure build up vanished completely. A week later I re-connected the CC & both issues returned.

I have taken the Catch can off, but I will apply the chrisfarru check valve fix & put it back on again, so thanks for that mate.

EDIT: A dead give away that you have this same problem is that between first and second gear change the catch can will whistle loudly like a blow-off valve. It's a nice noise but it seems that it is caused by the check valve opening under pressure, the problem is that it shouldn't be opening at that rpm & (as in my case) it can quite easily become stuck in the closed position too, & pop goes the dipstick.
                      Last edited by whats_that_Rattle; 20-12-20, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by whats_that_Rattle View Post
                        I have (had) one of these catch cans on my 2015 Triton 4D56 motor & I had issues with it from day one. On the second day the pressure relief valve became stuck between open & closed position.The whistle it made was quite embarrassing.

This was caused by a tiny piece of plastic left over from the molding process wedged in between the valve & the chamber. When I removed the piece of plastic it went great for a couple of months but then for no reason I had exactly the same issue as chrisfarru.
                        My Triton has a better flowing intercooler, a snorkel and a bigger diameter exhaust system & dump pipe & I think this was causing the issues with the Catch Can.

It started blowing the dipstick out & when you backed off the rpm & let the motor come back down to idle the injectors would make a terrible metallic clicking racket.
                        At first I thought I had broken a rocker it was so loud. But if U turned it off & then restarted the noise was gone for a few K's, but unfortunately it kept coming back.
                        I tried everything & even had the valves adjusted the intake manifold cleaned but nothing fixed it. I even put a new suction control valve in it (which made the noise less loud) but didn't stop the pressure build up.

Anyway, just by luck I drove it with the standard OEM Blow-by setup & the noise & pressure build up vanished completely. A week later I re-connected the CC & both issues returned.

I have taken the Catch can off, but I will apply the chrisfarru check valve fix & put it back on again, so thanks for that mate.

EDIT: A dead give away that you have this same problem is that between first and second gear change the catch can will whistle loudly like a blow-off valve. It's a nice noise but it seems that it is caused by the check valve opening under pressure, the problem is that it shouldn't be opening at that rpm & (as in my case) it can quite easily become stuck in the closed position too, & pop goes the dipstick.
                        Be interesting to see how it goes...hopefully all good.
                        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• whats_that_Rattle
                          • Dec 2020
                          • Brisbane

Well I prized the top off the thing, it's pretty easy to do as there is absolutely nothing holding it on other than for it being a tight fit. Not even a groove or a tab or anything for it to lock into place.

At the top there is a very weak spring sitting on a huge diameter soft rubber diaphragm with another heavier spring underneath that sits on the top of the Catch Can chamber tube that runs to the Turbo.
                          I cannot see how this setup could block any passageway or how it would cause a pressure build up because no matter where the diaphragm sits it does not block anything. All it is for is to release pressure and you can hold it in the open or closed position & it can't block anything.

So, unfortunately this fix is no good to me as my Triton still plays up with the spring in or out.
                          All I can come up with is that the whole catch can must be too restrictive for the way my Triton is set up because if I disconnect & run it standard she runs great.
                          O" well sorry fellas, back to the drawing board, & time to get a Provent 200 me thinks, they are bullet proof & they have been tried & tested successful a zillion times.

EDIT: I had an email pasted here from Ryco but due to their privacy rules I had to remove it. But this is exactly what it said:

The RCC350 was superseded to RCC351.

The check valve was removed, now the catch can, can suck and blow oil without being restricted.

Is it the check valve you seem to be having issus with?
                          Kind regards

AND Another email from them 10 minutes ago said this:
                          “Thank you for contacting Ryco today.
                          I would suggest removing the rubber diaphragm and springs in the lid of the RCC350. The top cap can be prised off with a flat head screwdriver allowing removal of the check valve components. However the top cap would need to be glued back on ensuring it is well sealed”
                          Last edited by whats_that_Rattle; 23-12-20, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• swys42
                            • Oct 2019
                            • Aldinga Beach

Originally posted by rath View Post
                            Were you able to get this fixed with the new MAP sensor?
                            I think I see the same issue - I have a catch can installed in Feb this year and have done about 2k thereafter. I have seen P0107 error codes pop up a couple of times within the last month itself. My visit to the mechanic hasn't solved anything
                            Yeah new Map solved my issue . sorry for only replying now, Maby installing catch can makes the air to clean and the old Map wasnt used to it haha.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X