• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rdpaj
    • Feb 2020
    • Melbourne

Where to buy 1997 NK Recovery Point

I’m having a lot of trouble finding a place that will sell (and hopefully install) front rated recovery points for my 1997 NK.

I’m based in Melbourne if anyone in the area knows of a place that could help out!

All the trips I’m trying to join are insisting we have the rated points.
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Does the Pajero 4wd Club of Victoria insist on a "rated" recovery point?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Rdpaj
      • Feb 2020
      • Melbourne

Hahaha no idea, I use https://www.4wdtrip.com to join trips and whoever runs them decides what the rules are, no official clubs or anything.

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

Gen 2 Pajeros have a factory fitted recovery hook on the front (not to be confused with the tie down loop on the other side). For the rear a ‘Hayman Reece style’ 50mm square tow hitch is appropriate.

Both NJ SWB and I have / had Gen 2 Pajeros and have done extensive real world ‘testing’ of the factory recovery hook. I would put more faith in the Mitsubishi welded one than an aftermarket one that has just been bolted to a random place on the chassis.
        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Rdpaj
          • Feb 2020
          • Melbourne

Is there any way to offer proof of this to those who question it? I’ve seen so many discussions about it here and it seems unlikely.

Maybe contacting Mitsubishi directly? Would be great if they could send out a something to certify it. Even a PDF to print. Wishful thinking maybe.

Comment

• pharb
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Tyers,Vic

Rdpaj, possibly a question to ask the trip organisers who demand a "rated" recovery point is if they also demand a "rated" mounting point for the bolt on recovery point.

I have seen heaps of bolt on, rated anchor points. Can't say I have seen many that would of had there mounting signed off by an engjneer though.
            PCOV Member 1107.
            Daily driver NX GLX
            Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
            Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
            Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Rdpaj
              • Feb 2020
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by pharb View Post
              Rdpaj, possibly a question to ask the trip organisers who demand a "rated" recovery point is if they also demand a "rated" mounting point for the bolt on recovery point.

I have seen heaps of bolt on, rated anchor points. Can't say I have seen many that would of had there mounting signed off by an engjneer though.

That’s what my mechanic said this morning - why would we put this on when the bolts are the weak point. He was also very wary of drilling into the chassis which would be the only way to get the hook on.

He said he’s seen plenty of Pajeros use the factory hook to recover with no issues - and if people complain, ask them who they recommend I get to install and certify an anchor point because he trusts the factory weld more than some bolts.

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Rdpaj View Post
                That’s what my mechanic said this morning - why would we put this on when the bolts are the weak point. He was also very wary of drilling into the chassis which would be the only way to get the hook on.

He said he’s seen plenty of Pajeros use the factory hook to recover with no issues - and if people complain, ask them who they recommend I get to install and certify an anchor point because he trusts the factory weld more than some bolts.
                Good mechanic. I like him.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• aussieguy
                  • Oct 2015
                  • Brisbane

Got a towbar (most pajeros seem to) then get a tow hitch recovery point.

Job done get em to pull you out, or use the HOOK not the LOOP on the front of the vehicle as it is a factory rated recovery point while the LOOP is a tow hop. Most recovery points after market are bolt on while the hook is welded on, pretty sure the electric metal glue gun method is stronger.
                  05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
                  02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• Lakey
                    • Apr 2012
                    • Brisbane

Just spray the original hoop safety yellow or orange and it will never be questioned. The brochure I got for my Challenger describes the front ones (one hoop, one hook) as recovery points. I have a strap to spread the load between both points but if anyone refunded to use them I can always thread the strap though the front tubular cross member on the Challenger. Maybe your Paj has the same sort of member.
                    Cheers
                    Lakey

2012 PB Challenger LS manual. White, tinted windows, MM towbar, Rhino Aero Sportz Bars, otherwise pretty much bog standard.

Comment

• craka
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by Lakey View Post
                      Just spray the original hoop safety yellow or orange and it will never be questioned. The brochure I got for my Challenger describes the front ones (one hoop, one hook) as recovery points. I have a strap to spread the load between both points but if anyone refunded to use them I can always thread the strap though the front tubular cross member on the Challenger. Maybe your Paj has the same sort of member.

Lakey be careful on what you are saying there. The Gen2 pajero had one recovery point at the front which is the factory hook. The other one ie the loop is not a recovery point it is only a tie down point.
                      NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X